What’s the biggest difference between this year and last years Jaguars?

patriotsheatyan

4 minutes ago, Speedyg said:

This team can beat Miami and Washington.

I know they looked fugly last night,  but this is still the same team capable of holding a red hot Colts offense to zero points. 

The titans trounced the Jaguars week 17 last year too, then proceeded to beat Buffalo, Piitsburgh, and almost New England. 

What I'm saying is...throw out any game vs Tennessee when looking at the Jags. That team, regardless of who they have, or what year it is, somehow always brings out their best vs the Jaguars.

There's a difference between can and will.  They've lost 8 of their last 9 games, and their lone win they manage to put up 6 points.  They're averaging 13 PPG over their last four games.  That'd be dead last in the NFL by 1.6 PPG worse than the next worst team.  There are two teams scoring less than 15 PPG in Arizona and Buffalo who are breaking in rookie QBs.  The Jaguars just benched their starting QB who they just signed to a 3 year, $54M contract.  And the worst part, is they're stuck with him through next year.  The Jaguars are a bad football team.  There's no shame in that.

27 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

And the worst part, is they're stuck with him through next year.

No, they aren't. They save money by cutting him this offseason. And because of the offsets, they can get more money back if/when another team signs him to a backup deal.

Just now, pwny said:

No, they aren't. They save money by cutting him this offseason.

They save $4.5M for releasing him.  That gets you Mike Glennon or Chad Henne.  I'm being legitimately serious when I'm saying I'm not sure that's an upgrade.

Just now, CWood21 said:

They save $4.5M for releasing him.  That gets you Mike Glennon or Chad Henne.  I'm being legitimately serious when I'm saying I'm not sure that's an upgrade.

They will also get offset money back, whatever that turns out to be. Also, why would you assume that only the money saved would be earmarked for a replacement?

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

So only the cap savings from Blake can be put towards a QB now or?

Besides, it's already been reported by Rapoport and Glazer that we are moving on from Blake after the season. We aren't "stuck with him", he's gone.

2 minutes ago, pwny said:

They will also get offset money back, whatever that turns out to be. Also, why would you assume that only the money saved would be earmarked for a replacement?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say they're not rolling into 2019 with just Cody Kessler under contract.  Even if they add a rookie QB, it seems likely they're going to want to bring in another veteran QB.

30 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

There's a difference between can and will.  They've lost 8 of their last 9 games, and their lone win they manage to put up 6 points.  They're averaging 13 PPG over their last four games.  That'd be dead last in the NFL by 1.6 PPG worse than the next worst team.  There are two teams scoring less than 15 PPG in Arizona and Buffalo who are breaking in rookie QBs.  The Jaguars just benched their starting QB who they just signed to a 3 year, $54M contract.  And the worst part, is they're stuck with him through next year.  The Jaguars are a bad football team.  There's no shame in that.

They scored 6 points without Fournette and the backup QB looked miles better than the previous starter.

This game is the only blowout loss we've had over the past six weeks. It's not like the Jags were getting beat like a drum week in and week out.

3 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

So only the cap savings from Blake can be put towards a QB now or?

Besides, it's already been reported by Rapoport and Glazer that we are moving on from Blake after the season. We aren't "stuck with him", he's gone.

That wasn't what I was getting at, but if it's what you want to think go ahead.  Are the Jaguars going to get better production out of what they're saving?  Probably not.

Just now, CWood21 said:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say they're not rolling into 2019 with just Cody Kessler under contract.  Even if they add a rookie QB, it seems likely they're going to want to bring in another veteran QB.

You didn't answer my question. Why are you assuming only $4.5 million would be spent on said QB?

Just now, pwny said:

You didn't answer my question. Why are you assuming only $4.5 million would be spent on said QB?

That wasn't my argument.  If you're going to spend more than $4.5M on a QB, you're taking away from another position.  IF you don't spend on another position, you're going to leave a hole there?

Just now, CWood21 said:

That wasn't what I was getting at, but if it's what you want to think go ahead.  Are the Jaguars going to get better production out of what they're saving?  Probably not.

Well you definitely listed what we'd save from Blake and used that amount and only that amount to show the caliber of QB's we can get with the savings.

Cuts, restructures, and the cap increasing will allow for more room than you think.

Either way, it's likely just going to be getting a guy that hopefully can start for half a year/a year as a stopgap for a rookie QB they bring in. Either way, Blake is gone, as I stated, which is mostly the point I was getting at.

Just now, CWood21 said:

That wasn't my argument.  If you're going to spend more than $4.5M on a QB, you're taking away from another position.  IF you don't spend on another position, you're going to leave a hole there?

And if they don't spend more on the QB, they're taking away from the QB spot. There's a hole either way. Why make the hole the most important spot on the roster?

2 minutes ago, pwny said:

And if they don't spend more on the QB, they're taking away from the QB spot. There's a hole either way. Why make the hole the most important spot on the roster?

Because your QBOTF likely isn't going to be found via FA.  I mean, the FA class consists of Teddy Bridgewater, Tyrod Taylor, and a bunch of crap.  Bridgewater and Taylor probably get at least $10M+, and given the Jaguars are probably in the market for a QB in the draft it doesn't make a ton of sense to invest a ton in a QB via FA.  I mean, I guess if you want to pay more than $4.5M for a stopgap QB, go right ahead.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Because your QBOTF likely isn't going to be found via FA.  I mean, the FA class consists of Teddy Bridgewater, Tyrod Taylor, and a bunch of crap.  Bridgewater and Taylor probably get at least $10M+, and given the Jaguars are probably in the market for a QB in the draft it doesn't make a ton of sense to invest a ton in a QB via FA.  I mean, I guess if you want to pay more than $4.5M for a stopgap QB, go right ahead.

So what you're saying is they're not stuck with Blake and can make whatever decision they want with the position?

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

You think Jacksonville is winning another game this year?  You're higher on them than I think anyone on the Jaguars board is.  They're currently 4-9 and got blasted by the Titans last night.  They've got Washington, Miami, and Houston as their remaining schedule.  The only one I think they have a chance with is Washington but that's because they're starting Mark Sanchez, and I still think the Redskins are a better team.  NY Jets and Arizona are both ahead of them, but both have their QBs in place so they could be trade down options.  Detroit has Arizona, Buffalo, and Green Bay the rest of the way, so they're probably a shoe-in for at least one more win, if not two or three.  Atlanta has Green Bay and Arizona the next two weeks, they're getting at least 1 win there if not two.  NY Giants are playing well so they'll probably be able to turn a win against the Redskins.  Buffalo has the NY Jets and Detroit, both winnable games.

San Francisco and/or Oakland isn't trading down.  They're taking Nick Bosa and Ed Oliver in some order.  And nobody is going to pay the premium to move up to select Herbert and get Oakland or San Francisco to give up an elite DL prospect.  But going back to the teams currently slotted inside the top 10, how many of them need or will be in the market for a QB?  San Francisco has Jimmy G, Oakland has Carr, NY Jets just drafted Sam Darnold, Arizona just drafted Josh Rosen, Detroit has a TON of money tied up in Matthew Stafford, Atlanta just signed Matt Ryan to a huge extension, Buffalo just drafted Josh Allen, and Green Bay just signed Aaron Rodgers to a mega extension.  Inside the top 10, you've got Jacksonville and NY Giants as the only teams who are really in the market for a QB.  You move into that 11-18 range, and you've got Tampa Bay, Cincinnati, Miami, Washington, and Denver as the only real possibilities.  It's not a real strong year for needs at QB.

NY Giants/Jacksonville take Herbert, Haskins/Lock go to teams in that 11-18 range.

Jacksonville can definitely win another game. I don't think they're favored in any game in particular but they'll probably win at least one. Even if they don't, that still puts them at best 3rd or 4th in the draft.

I strongly disagree with your notion that San Francisco and Oakland aren't trading down. San Francisco already has a ton of great defensive linemen. Oakland is perhaps less likely to trade down, but with the amount of holes they have and the way they've operated so far under Gruden with acquiring additional picks, they'd be crazy not to if a team offers them a good package. They both have QBs and multiple needs. In short, SF and OAK would love to trade down (for the right price of course). Both teams have a history of trading for additional picks under their current regimes. Both teams have way more holes than a single defensive lineman can fill.

And someone will definitely want to jump in front of Jacksonville to grab Herbert. Maybe that team will be Jacksonville to avoid someone else from doing it. But at this point the Jags aren't in a position to take Herbert without trading up. Will probably turn into a bidding war between New York and Jacksonville. You can bet your arse that the one behind the other will want to jump in front and the one in front will want to trade up to avoid the other team from jumping in front of them. There's also other teams who would love a QB but would lack a Top 5 pick like Jax/NYG ... teams like Miami, Washington, Tampa Bay, Denver. They'd have to offer significantly more to move up but in the right situations they definitely could.

Archived