Vikings Fire DeFilippo, Stefanski Promoted to OC

SemperFeist

1 hour ago, Klomp said:

This could be part of the explanation for the running woes in recent weeks. Easier for a FB/TE to block LBs in the run game than WRs.

yeah david morgan missing time definitely had an underrated effect on the run blocking, and there isn't much use putting a fullback out there with a subpar blocking TE in the run game and in the pass game you definitely want another receiver out there instead of a FB. 

I hear a lot of people saying (Twitter, media) "Well the Dolphins don't have a good defense so lets pump the breaks on Stefanski."

That may be true. But even if a lot of it had to do with the Miami defense sucking, you'd have to imagine the offense is amped up that they put up 41 with the new OC and that confidence/excitement will lead to some added peep and pizzazz going forward rather than "sulking" under JDF.

9 hours ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

I hear a lot of people saying (Twitter, media) "Well the Dolphins don't have a good defense so lets pump the breaks on Stefanski."

That may be true. But even if a lot of it had to do with the Miami defense sucking, you'd have to imagine the offense is amped up that they put up 41 with the new OC and that confidence/excitement will lead to some added peep and pizzazz going forward rather than "sulking" under JDF.

Just have to hope they can build some momentum so that when they play good teams, they have the offense to be competitive.

The Vikings better utilized another wrinkle under Stefanski than they did with John DeFilippo. The 13-yard touchdown pass to Diggs on the opening drive came in a flash, because Cousins snapped the ball with 27 seconds left on the play clock. It wasn’t a no-huddle, hurry-up drive, but that sneaky use of up-tempo timing helped catch defenders out of position and thinking too much to properly defend the play-action pass.

Cousins picked up the pace on other big plays, including his 40-yard touchdown throw to Aldrick Robinson. The ball snapped with 12 seconds left on the play clock, but happened in just 3-4 seconds after they broke huddle and aligned.

http://www.startribune.com/film-review-less-is-more-for-kirk-cousins-and-the-vikings-offense/503043681/

Why did it take so long to get going with the pieces that the Vikings offense has? 

Cook: "It's been in the locker room. It's been here the whole time. We, us as players, I'm just glad we stuck together and kept it as a real as we could because we could have easily said 'we lost our offensive coordinator. It's over. You know, let's try again next year.' But we got an offensive coordinator that understands where we're coming from and that believes in us 100 percent and we're going to go out there and go balls to the wall every play for him."

https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/Article/Dalvin-Cook-Deion-Sanders-interview-126471976/

4 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Why did it take so long to get going with the pieces that the Vikings offense has? 

Cook: "It's been in the locker room. It's been here the whole time. We, us as players, I'm just glad we stuck together and kept it as a real as we could because we could have easily said 'we lost our offensive coordinator. It's over. You know, let's try again next year.' But we got an offensive coordinator that understands where we're coming from and that believes in us 100 percent and we're going to go out there and go balls to the wall every play for him."

https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/Article/Dalvin-Cook-Deion-Sanders-interview-126471976/

It's funny hearing all these quotes about Stefanski. You can just tell they were not fans of JDF.

Also, almost all of the quotes from various players is about Stefanski understanding his players which leads me to think JDF didn't ask for much input or asked them to do things they're not best suited for.

7 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

It's funny hearing all these quotes about Stefanski. You can just tell they were not fans of JDF.

Also, almost all of the quotes from various players is about Stefanski understanding his players which leads me to think JDF didn't ask for much input or asked them to do things they're not best suited for.

This blows my mind.  How can anyone, I mean ANYONE, ever get to be a coach at the professional "big league" level without knowing how to get the best out of the talent they have?    ???????   

There are only 32 offensive coordinator positions in professional football.  With that kind of competition for a job, how can you not be great at putting your players in the best possible situation to succeed?

20 minutes ago, since72 said:

This blows my mind.  How can anyone, I mean ANYONE, ever get to be a coach at the professional "big league" level without knowing how to get the best out of the talent they have?    ???????   

There are only 32 offensive coordinator positions in professional football.  With that kind of competition for a job, how can you not be great at putting your players in the best possible situation to succeed?

Lots of coaches are successful sticking to their system and finding players who fit it. Other coaches are successful doing the complete opposite.

I agree with the other comment that DeFilippo was trying to show he can run his own system to become a HC. It didn't work, his system sucks. Not everyone can be Sean Payton. I think Josh McDaniels tried the same thing earlier in his coaching career and failed.

19 minutes ago, since72 said:

Honestly, Norv Turner has been "my way or the highway" pretty much his whole career.  The same for Todd Haley, in my opinion.

4 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Honestly, Norv Turner has been "my way or the highway" pretty much his whole career.  The same for Todd Haley, in my opinion.

Fair enough.  But as a Head Coach, why would I hire a "my way or the highway" coordinator unless I had the players to fit the system or gave the coordinator enough years so they could acquire the players needed?  Do you think JDF misled Zimmer in his interview?  Or was it Zimmer's poor judgement?  Wasn't the Eagles coaching staff given great credit for "adapting" their offense to Nick F*#$%* Foles strengths for the playoffs?  I guess I'm just disappointed in the way the JDF hiring turned out.  I had high expectations.  Obviously unfounded in hindsight.  Anyway, I would think OC's that could adapt their system to the players would be in great demand, while the "my way or the highway" guys would be shunned (with the exception of combination HC / GM / OC coaches).

1 minute ago, since72 said:

Wasn't the Eagles coaching staff given great credit for "adapting" their offense to Nick F*#$%* Foles strengths for the playoffs?  

not really. when Wentz went down, the coaches sat with Foles and asked him, "which of our plays are most tailored to you?" he replied that they didn't need to change anything at all.

I think people gave JDF too much credit for the Eagles' success.  He was the QB coach, for goshsakes...not the OC or the HC (who both happened to be former longtime NFL backup QBs).  He should have gotten little to no credit for the success of Wentz or Foles, because he wasn't in the position to do so.  All he did was translate the strategy of Pederson and Reich.  

Archived