Do you think that Brady has fallen off?

patriotsheatyan

11 hours ago, C0LTSFAN4L1F3 said:

His stats are worse but people are immensely downplaying to the extent that this is the case. You could literally say the same about almost any good QB and their INTs. He's a lesser player this year than last, and the numbers prove it. 

I’ve watched every game this year. Most of his INT’s this year were off receivers hands. That’s literally the difference. It feels like you just found a number to prove what you wanted. 

Logically what you should do is see a difference in the number and go “is there anything different this year than last year”. In this case there is. There is something that distinctly happened to him this year that didn’t the last few years. You can’t just dismiss that it’s a difference historically for him because it happened to other players. You look for the variable. There’s a clear variable 

He’s having a similar season to 2013. Hint the problem in 2013 was not that he declined. Gronk took a huge dip, Edelman is far less consistent, Hogan has been having his worst season with the team. The one receiver whose been playing at a typically high level is Gordon and he joined the team during the year so there aren’t a whole lot of plays designed around his utility compared to others.  

The one big flaw he has this year is the same as 2013. And it has nothing to do with either TD’s or INT’s. He’s doing the same thing he did then which is he’s not trusting his WR’s and he’s leading them a lot more or making them make safer plays on the ball because he isn’t trusting them enough to thread the needle. Which he can clearly still do because he’s done it about as good as I’ve ever seen him do it with Gordon, who he trusts.

wait until the playoffs to judge how Brady is. Even then, his team might be more to blame, but wait and see. Dropped passes never help, I thought they would show him yelling at teammates on the sidelines but it never happened. Even if has regressed a bit, it's time for the rest of the team to contribute a bit more. They can't rely on brady to be as he was in his prime while aging into  his 40's

5 hours ago, lancerman said:

I’ve watched every game this year. Most of his INT’s this year were off receivers hands. That’s literally the difference. It feels like you just found a number to prove what you wanted. 

See, this would be a valid response if I had actually just cited a single number, and "found a number to prove what I wanted." But I went into detail about how each one of his efficiency stats were much worse on a relative basis this year than last. Brady has been at a fairly lesser level than last year, and the numbers very clearly show it. This isn't just about INT's, not at all. And you could literally say the same "the INT's were off the receiver's hands!" about most good QB's. Brady is no different, but he is still 10th in the league in INT%. 

5 hours ago, lancerman said:

The one big flaw he has this year is the same as 2013. And it has nothing to do with either TD’s or INT’s. He’s doing the same thing he did then which is he’s not trusting his WR’s and he’s leading them a lot more or making them make safer plays on the ball because he isn’t trusting them enough to thread the needle. Which he can clearly still do because he’s done it about as good as I’ve ever seen him do it with Gordon, who he trusts.

How exactly does this have nothing to do with TD's and INT's? If there is a mistrust that exists between the receivers and the QB, that manifests itself in the form of INT's and TD's. This isn't an unequivocally separate issue entirely. 

2 hours ago, C0LTSFAN4L1F3 said:

See, this would be a valid response if I had actually just cited a single number, and "found a number to prove what I wanted." But I went into detail about how each one of his efficiency stats were much worse on a relative basis this year than last. Brady has been at a fairly lesser level than last year, and the numbers very clearly show it. This isn't just about INT's, not at all. And you could literally say the same "the INT's were off the receiver's hands!" about most good QB's. Brady is no different, but he is still 10th in the league in INT%. 

How exactly does this have nothing to do with TD's and INT's? If there is a mistrust that exists between the receivers and the QB, that manifests itself in the form of INT's and TD's. This isn't an unequivocally separate issue entirely. 

I mean, he has fallen off some, but as I said earlier, it's not nearly as much as the raw numbers indicate. Brady is currently 6th in DVOA for QBs. He was 2nd last year and 2nd the year before, so that is a drop, but not a huge one. He is running an offense that is 6th in DVOA (4th in passing, 10th in rushing). The defense is 21st (18th in passing, 21st in rushing). The special teams unit is 18th.

1 minute ago, childofpudding said:

I mean, he has fallen off some, but as I said earlier, it's not nearly as much as the raw numbers indicate. Brady is currently 6th in DVOA for QBs. He was 2nd last year and 2nd the year before, so that is a drop. He is running an offense that is 6th in DVOA (4th in passing, 10th in rushing). The defense is 21st.

I mean, he's gone from being towards the top in the aforementioned categories to being on the fringe of the top 10. It's pretty significant. I'm not trying to say this is a catostrophic problem or something like that, but we are talking about the previous year's MVP here. It's a significant drop. 

16 minutes ago, C0LTSFAN4L1F3 said:

I mean, he's gone from being towards the top in the aforementioned categories to being on the fringe of the top 10. It's pretty significant. I'm not trying to say this is a catostrophic problem or something like that, but we are talking about the previous year's MVP here. It's a significant drop. 

6th in DVOA isn't fringe top 10, but yes, I agree that there has been a drop.

49 minutes ago, DigInBoys said:

Nobody beats father time.

This is former World 100m Champion Kim Collins (St.Kitts)

He ran his PR at 40.

2001 10.00 8 Edmonton Aug 04
2002 9.98 9 Manchester Jul 27
2003 9.99 8 Zürich Aug 15
2004 10.00 9 Athens Aug 22
2005 10.00 9 London (CP) Jul 22
2011 10.00 23 Guadalajara, MEX Oct 24
2012 10.01 21 Zürich Aug 30
2013 9.97 12 Lausanne Jul 04
2014 9.96 10 London Jul 20
2015 9.98 24 Basseterre Jun 13
2016 9.93 10 Bottrop May 29

5 minutes ago, ZenoRazon said:

This is former World 100m Champion Kim Collins (St.Kitts)

He ran his PR at 40.

2001 10.00 8 Edmonton Aug 04
2002 9.98 9 Manchester Jul 27
2003 9.99 8 Zürich Aug 15
2004 10.00 9 Athens Aug 22
2005 10.00 9 London (CP) Jul 22
2011 10.00 23 Guadalajara, MEX Oct 24
2012 10.01 21 Zürich Aug 30
2013 9.97 12 Lausanne Jul 04
2014 9.96 10 London Jul 20
2015 9.98 24 Basseterre Jun 13
2016 9.93 10 Bottrop May 29

“This is it. I can't do it anymore. The body isn't able to do what it is supposed to do. But I am going out in peace — no low notes, no high notes. There will be no comebacks,” Collins told reporters after competing in the 60m heats at the IAAF World Indoor Championships in Birmingham, Great Britain on March 3, 2018.

http://www.virginislandsnewsonline.com/en/news/kim-collins-bids-farewell-to-track-at-age-41

2 hours ago, ZenoRazon said:

Playing in the weak division they do has to be boring. They are never really challenged ad far as winning the division goes.

The playoffs are a whole other breed of cat, I expect to see Brady back as THE GOAT once again once it really matters.

....he's doing poorly....out of boredom?????

1 hour ago, childofpudding said:

Why?

I just don't put much stock into DVOA. I think it gets pretty convoluted and the calculations come down to personal preference that I don't really agree with. The parameters for what constitutes a "success" is pretty arbitrary. I don't know, I just don't really use it or really take it too much into account myself. Maybe I'll warm up to it when I get a second to look into things a little more, but as of now I don't see it as that great of an assessment. 

Archived