The Four Horsemen

ZenoRazon

15 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

In terms of best you could also make a argument for Aikman, Smith, Irvin and Novacek, and I'll leave it to someone else to nominate other groups. 

Nah. The only one who had truly sustained success was Emmitt. Aikman topped 20 tds once and never threw for more than 3500 yds; Irvin was....actually, I was underrating Irvin, he had 4 or 5 top notch seasons. Put Novacek's season-best #s (from 3 different seasons no less) and his best possible season was 68-705-6. Those numbers are just OK. 

11 hours ago, freak_of_nature said:

Just for a throwback

Fouts

Muncie

Joiner

Winslow

One of the better early 80's ones. 3/4 HOF

I'd actually put John Jefferson or Wes Chandler in there for WR. Joiner is (deservedly) in the HoF, but Chandler/JJ were the more spectacular players; Joiner just kept plugging away, he never really had a "WOW!" season like Jefferson in 1980 or Chandler in 1982 (which may not look that impressive until you realise he had 49-1000+-9 in NINE FREAKIN' GAMES)

1 minute ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Nah. The only one who had truly sustained success was Emmitt. Aikman topped 20 tds once and never threw for more than 3500 yds; Irvin was....actually, I was underrating Irvin, he had 4 or 5 top notch seasons. Put Novacek's season-best #s (from 3 different seasons no less) and his best possible season was 68-705-6. Those numbers are just OK. 

Everyone of the multi probowlers. And the OP wondered what the most effective group was. 3 SB's led by these guys is pretty damn effective. Together they were borderline unstoppable and you would be hard pressed to find a group that had more success then they had.

4 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Everyone of the multi probowlers. And the OP wondered what the most effective group was. 3 SB's led by these guys is pretty damn effective. Together they were borderline unstoppable and you would be hard pressed to find a group that had more success then they had.

Novacek and Aikman were fairly stoppable if you're looking at their numbers. Especially regarding Novacek, because Dallas never really had a good or consistent #2 WR while he was there with Irvin so if he was so great he should've been doing more. 

Just now, Mr Bad Example said:

Novacek and Aikman were fairly stoppable if you're looking at their numbers. Especially regarding Novacek, because Dallas never really had a good or consistent #2 WR while he was there with Irvin so if he was so great he should've been doing more. 

Yea lets not bother watching game tape. Average group of Joe that won 3 SB's in 4 years theres more to it then just the yards you gain in a game. Just ask that Charger group that never won anything outside of some highlight reels on ESPN.

3 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Yea lets not bother watching game tape. Average group of Joe that won 3 SB's in 4 years theres more to it then just the yards you gain in a game. Just ask that Charger group that never won anything outside of some highlight reels on ESPN.

Aikman was above average, and could've done more in a less run-centric system. Novacek was just fortunate to be there. 

I never said Smith or Irvin were average, quite the opposite. But Aikman was probably no better than the 4th best player in his huddle on any given day (depending on which OLs were kicking *** that day) and Novacek would've been towards the lower end. He was fine. Decent player. . 

1 minute ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Aikman was above average, and could've done more in a less run-centric system. Novacek was just fortunate to be there. 

I never said Smith or Irvin were average, quite the opposite. But Aikman was probably no better than the 4th best player in his huddle on any given day (depending on which OLs were kicking *** that day) and Novacek would've been towards the lower end. He was fine. Decent player. . 

A 5 time pro bowler and earned a 1st team all-pro was lucky just to be there and "just" a decent player?

Yea done with this conversation. Happy hunting statistics cause you never saw how bad@ss these guys were. And that sure as hell includes Unitas/Moore/Berry/ and Mackey.

1 hour ago, Calvert28 said:

A 5 time pro bowler and earned a 1st team all-pro was lucky just to be there and "just" a decent player?

Yea done with this conversation. Happy hunting statistics cause you never saw how bad@ss these guys were. And that sure as hell includes Unitas/Moore/Berry/ and Mackey.

Novacek wasn't all that badass. Not a great blocker, not a scary pass receiver. Just a nice player. I can' think of several of his contemporaries I'd have had preferred for any season aside from '92, which look at what TEs did that season. Ugh. 

4 hours ago, Malfatron said:

Drew Brees

Adrian Peterson

Dez Bryant

Jimmy Graham

Love it. It’s like when the question who is your all time teams starting 5 in basketball asked and I always include Hakeem on the Raptors. 

I’ll go homer here some other strong Chargers groupings were mentioned but with the news today why not include this current group?

Rivers, Gordon, Allen and Henry 

Archived