Rebuilding the Patriots

Elky

2 hours ago, PatriotsWin! said:

Looks like Pats are closing in on a multi-year deal with Gostkowski. I think we have like $2million in cap space at the moment so some other moves will need to happen soon... Brady extension or some unpopular cuts?

At this point why not? I'd prefer a cheaper alternative that can do the same but if they don't see anyone in free agency or the draft then you have to bite the bullet. I hope they can get out of his deal next year or the rear after though. Only going to change my mind if this dry free agency somehow motivates Gostkowski to focus in and perform in the clutch.

3 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

At this point why not? I'd prefer a cheaper alternative that can do the same but if they don't see anyone in free agency or the draft then you have to bite the bullet. I hope they can get out of his deal next year or the rear after though. Only going to change my mind if this dry free agency somehow motivates Gostkowski to focus in and perform in the clutch.

I don't think that person exists, but who do you think about?

6 minutes ago, PatriotsWin! said:

Gilmore restructured his contract (converted $8mil of this year's salary to a bonus). Frees up another $5.5mil in cap space for us this year. 

we sit at 8 million then. Which probably leads to a Ghost signing soon and enough cap relief for the draft class and maybe 2-3 depth signings. I would still expect 2-3 more restructures/extensions fairly soon in the next 4-6 weeks to make some more trades.

11 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Ghost went 5 of 6 in the playoffs. I would call that performing in the clutch

1 minute ago, SBLIII said:

Ghost went 5 of 6 in the playoffs. I would call that performing in the clutch

He's horribly shaky and becoming less reliable especially in the playoffs, but in just in general situations where a field goal is critical for morale or momentum. I haven't trusted Gostkowski for a few seasons now but I'm hopeful he can snap out of it after this free agency period ends for him. At the price he was paid and likely will be paid again going forward, I think he is lucky there aren't other slightly above average kickers available for less.

13 hours ago, PatriotsWin! said:

With Gronk's retirement, we now have about $17.5 million in cap space.

My guess is we will see at least 1 trade before the draft with this additional cap room. Brate would fit as would a WR

I would love one of the following added to the team with the new cap space. 

Kyle Rudolph TE (Minnesota)- He was very underutilized last year and with The Vikings needing cap space to resign Theilen and having no dead cap left on his contract it could be a very nice idea. I would think a 4th or 5th could make it work in my opinion because of age (29) and being on his last year. ($7.6 mil cap hit)

A.J Green WR (Bengals)- Green would give the Patriots a major upgrade not only as a WR but in the Red Zone which after last year is desperately needed. There are injury concerns here with Green but their is no denying what talent he would bring to an otherwise lack luster WR group. Idk if The Bengals would be willing to part with him but since they are shopping Ross and with a new coaching regiment is wouldn't hurt to see the asking price. Once again because of him on his last year and age (30) I believe a 4th or 5th would do. ($15.1 mil cap hit)

Nelson Agholor WR (Eagles)- With Agholor The Patriots could find a long term solution to their WR problem with Agholor only being 25. He also is on his last year of his contract so that may drive his asking price down. With Wentz needing a new contract and The Eagles in need of some extra cap space this could force them to move Agholor before they lose him for nothing. I believe a 3rd or 4th would do the trick more third than fourth mainly because of his age. ($9.4 mil Cap Hit)

All cap hits I got off Spotrac.com

With a little maneuvering I could see fitting both Rudolph and Agholor in the budget.

4 hours ago, m haynes said:

Jordan Love, QB Utah ST   Anyone know him or see him play?  I was watching videos on TE ( who I like)  Dax Raymond and I kept seeing nice passes. There is hardly anything on him. I not sure he's even in the draft.

He isn't. He will get drafted next year and will be a hot prospect.

Archived