Disc golf thread

Warhorse

• 1 month later...
23 hours ago, MrDrew said:

Wait... Does this mean I'm not the only one that plays, or watches pro disc golf?

Not at all. I love the sport. I just posted it here for quite a while, and saw zero response. I'll put some back....

Just played the Rockwood course in The Portland Gresham area of Oregon this morning. Par three, flat course. Threw a 3 under. 

Edited by Warhorse

I would love to hear from others who get out and throw disc.

Favorite disc - 

Champion DX XT (plastic type)or? - 

Overstable or understable - 

Backhand of forehand - 

Number of aces - 

Longest drive - 

Par 3's or long courses - 

Would love to see pics of fave discs or your local hole at a local course. 

Favorite disc - DD EMAC Truth

Champion DX XT (plastic type)or? - Fluid (OOP), or Fuzion (DD)/Gold (Lat 64)

Overstable or understable - I lean towards stable to understable nowadays

Backhand of forehand - Mostly backhand

Number of aces - 0... Been playing since 1997

Longest drive - 405ish on flat ground

Par 3's or long courses - Mixed park courses

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

This is my home course in San Diego, started playing there back in the late 80's

https://www.morleyfield.com/about

Great course, tons of hills and trees to navigate - but this one fell down a few years ago

220px-Quail_11_bg_041506.jpg

People used to tie their shoes together and whip 'em into the tree, don't know why but there were literally hundreds of pairs up there
Hole # 2, Par 3 to the left of the shoe tree

After awhile, we stopped keeping score and just went for birdies every time. No laying up. Had a blast doing it that way.
I haven't played much lately but reading your thread made me miss it
I toss overhand, forehand and backhand. Overhand/ thumb grip is my distance toss, somewhere in the 300's
Threw an Ace on the 13th hole here. You can't see the pin from the tee -  just up and left through the trees, ChaChing !

• 1 month later...

I just discovered Disc Golf when I saw a video on YouTube.  Since then, I've been watching video after video.  I guess I'm hooked - at least on the videos.  :)

I'm thinking it might be fun to get into this sport.  I've played regular golf all my life, but since I have a bad hip, every time I try to hit a ball, it goes straight to the left at about a 45 degree angle.  Before playing real golf again, I'm going to have to get a hip replacement.

Anyway, I was thinking disc golf might be a good alternative in the meantime.  I just have a few questions for anyone.

How many discs do you need, and how much does a good set of them cost?

How much are the greens fees at a typical course?

What is the best way to practice and learn the techniques of making the different shots?

Thanks in advance for any info you might have!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/30/2019 at 4:27 PM, Uncle Buck said:

I just have a few questions for anyone.

How many discs do you need, and how much does a good set of them cost?  You need 2 at minimum, a driver and a putter. 3 or 4 is a typical collection for starting out. A driver, a midrange and a putter. Discs cost about $ 10-15 each. Many courses rent discs, so that's an option too, helps you decide what you like before buying em

How much are the greens fees at a typical course? Anywhere from Free up to 5 -7 $ on weekends at a busy course

What is the best way to practice and learn the techniques of making the different shots? Don't keep score, just cruise the course and try stuff. Many courses also have 1 practice hole to work on it. Early on, focus on getting close ( laying up). Then spend some time on "putting" because just like regular golf, "drive for show, putt for dough"  Most disc golfers will happily give you a few pointers.

Resist the urge to throw it as hard as you can when driving, just like real golf.... technique matters more than brawn.
Another note for beginners is to focus on throwing a level toss. All the years of playing regular frisbee taught people to lift the disc during the throw so your hand/arm ends up above your head at the end of the throw. For disc golf, you want a level throw where your arm is at chest- level throughout the entire throw. Otherwise, you end up throwing it high up in the air and it will just curve off course. Snapping the wrist at the end is what makes it all work. It will take some getting used to, but the payoff is worth it

You can finish a round of 18 holes in about 75 - 90 minutes, so its easy enough to play a couple of rounds on a Saturday. Also noted: most throws are not straight shots, but rather curves. Figure out how each disc curves ( to the left, right) and adjust accordingly. Most people are right handed and the disc will naturally curve to the left as it loses spin and momentum. You aren't going to change that, you are going to adjust by aiming right, knowing it will go left at the end of the throw. There are discs made to counter- act this effect, but that's another chapter...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just found out the the local disc club in San Diego has secured the opportunity to play at the world renowned Torrey Pines Golf Course just prior to the US Open in 2021. They are gonna open it up for 2 days of disc golfing, with (2)  18 hole circuits on the North Course

What an amazing place to spin a disc.... @MrDrew @Warhorse  book your flights

zoom_2000009.jpg

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

I just found out the the local disc club in San Diego has secured the opportunity to play at the world renowned Torrey Pines Golf Course just prior to the US Open in 2021. They are gonna open it up for 2 days of disc golfing, with (2)  18 hole circuits on the North Course

I'm not the biggest fan of playing on golf courses, but there are some opportunities you just have to jump on. Getting to play disc golf where they hold big PGA events is one of those opportunities. Where do I get all of the info?

On 8/30/2019 at 5:27 PM, Uncle Buck said:

Anyway, I was thinking disc golf might be a good alternative in the meantime.  I just have a few questions for anyone.

How many discs do you need, and how much does a good set of them cost? You can get by with one while you learn, but I would suggest starting with a putter and an understable midrange. The cheaper plastic will run $8-$10 each, but it will fly different after hitting a few trees. It's fine for a putter though. For stuff you're going to throw harder, I would get a premium plastic, which runs from $13-$18.

How much are the greens fees at a typical course? Most courses are in city parks, and are free to play. When you start getting to the point where you want to play private course, it will usually be $5-$10, or $20 with a cart on a golf course

What is the best way to practice and learn the techniques of making the different shots? I practice out in an open field. Could be a park, school, or football/soccer field. I bring something to set my phone on, and record in SloMo. You're doing it right by watching videos, but you can't try to mimic people because everybody does something a little weird that they compensate for. Dynamic Discs has a lot of tutorial videos on their YouTube channel, and they're pretty good. Check out the Physics of Flight series. The kid that does most of them, Danny Lindahl, does some on his own channel, and he's a good instructor.

Thanks in advance for any info you might have!

• Like 1

On 7/15/2019 at 11:25 PM, Shanedorf said:

This is my home course in San Diego, started playing there back in the late 80's

That's a long way back. People are usually impressed when I tell them I started in '97.

It's been a real long time since I played Morley. I need to get back. I'm usually only in the area for SDCC, so there's no time to escape and play, and the rest of my time in CA is up near Santa Barbara.

Have you played Goat Hill, and is it as nasty as it looks on camera if so?