2019 Offseason Preview/FA Rumors

jetskid007

Just now, Bobby816 said:

Its a thing that you actually have to pay attention to rather than just looking at stats. NE looks like a decent defense. But that’s bc they always win the possession battle, so it’s aimple at that point. Your defense is going to be better if they’re not in the field. This has been an issue I’ve brought up for years. Instead of dropping millions on defense every single FA period and high defat oicks. How about getting guys on offense that can not only score (so less pressure on the defense) but atleast move the ball to not make the defense on the field the whole game.

The only team that has a offense on par with us that’s winning somewhat with defense is Baltimore. Every other team has better offense than us that has a strong defense. 

But the biggest issue with our offense has been QB play.  All the teams you will point to as an example the common denominator is solid to high level QB play.  I don't think you need a guys like Brown or OBJ to have a great offense but you do need a QB>  We have that now.  Additional weapons will help and that is why we are in pursuit of Bell. 

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Its a thing that you actually have to pay attention to rather than just looking at stats. NE looks like a decent defense. But that’s bc they always win the possession battle, so it’s aimple at that point. Your defense is going to be better if they’re not in the field. This has been an issue I’ve brought up for years. Instead of dropping millions on defense every single FA period and high defat oicks. How about getting guys on offense that can not only score (so less pressure on the defense) but atleast move the ball to not make the defense on the field the whole game.

The only team that has a offense on par with us that’s winning somewhat with defense is Baltimore. Every other team has better offense than us that has a strong defense. 

I think NE is the exception to the rule though.  You need either an insanely high powered offense or a D to hold you in place with a decent offense for the most part.  If Darnold becomes a top 10 QB and we have an elite D, we'll be fine.  

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Well no guys younger than him and as talented as him cane to us. So he was the best option available. All the rest of either older than him or 1/2 as talented as him.

His talent has not lead to consistent play and production.  Not heartbroken ... not to mention he does not know how to line up on side.  lol

I'd be happy with Ziggy on 2 year deal and drafting a rusher as well.

Just now, JetsFan15 said:

But the biggest issue with our offense has been QB play.  All the teams you will point to as an example the common denominator is solid to high level QB play.  I don't think you need a guys like Brown or OBJ to have a great offense but you do need a QB>  We have that now.  Additional weapons will help and that is why we are in pursuit of Bell. 

I think that’s big time jumping the gun on Darnold to be honest. He quite frankly needs to be babied (he is only 21). Groomed, coached, etc. To think we can just grab a guy like him (who has a ton of talent) and just say ok we’re good... is a mistake. Osemele and Crowder is not nearly enough to help him. Especially when you have the money and high pick we have. Bell quite frankly is the only thing that can change that, baring some crazy trade.

Its just process of elimination now. No C available that makes us significantly better. No WR, no RB (I’m not high on Coleman). Assuming we use 3 on Bosa or Allen... the remaining picks aren’t going to be these crazy talented guys. And to ignore our GMs track record in these rounds wouldn’t be thinking realistically .

1 minute ago, JetsFan15 said:

Brady.  Gronk.  And a list of cast offs.  Your point is made.

Obviously Brady, I'm talking about around the QB. Gronk was a shell of himself this year... again they have good offensive players, but it's not like they have superstars skill position players anymore. They have guys that are good enough and fit in well with what they do (Gronk, Edelman, White, Michel). 

Jets aren't going to be contenders overnight. But they have some solid players. Need to build the offensive line, try to find another pass catcher, and grab the RB. Lot of work to be done, but I don't buy the notion that star offensive players = sustainable success in the NFL. 

Just now, Bobby816 said:

I think that’s big time jumping the gun on Darnold to be honest. He quite frankly needs to be babied (he is only 21). Groomed, coached, etc. To think we can just grab a guy like him (who has a ton of talent) and just say ok we’re good... is a mistake. Osemele and Crowder is not nearly enough to help him. Especially when you have the money and high pick we have. Bell quite frankly is the only thing that can change that, baring some crazy trade.

Its just process of elimination now. No C available that makes us significantly better. No WR, no RB (I’m not high on Coleman). Assuming we use 3 on Bosa or Allen... the remaining picks aren’t going to be these crazy talented guys. And to ignore our GMs track record in these rounds wouldn’t be thinking realistically .

I did not say all problems are solved.  I said the biggest problem looks to be solved.  Additionally, without solving that problem our WR/RB talent can be elite but our O would not be.  See years with Marshall and Decker or Holmes and Edwards with LT and TJ.  The QB position is more important then any other on offensive. 

10 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Remind me who New England's superstar offensive weapons are again? Philadelphia's? Denver's? Seattle's?

NE has the best QB to ever play the game and arguably the best TE as well. Along with nearly every other player in their offense arguably better than ours (Michel, Edelman, etc). Philly Wentz’s and Foles play is superior to what we’ve seen from Darnold. And Jeffrey, Ertz, Agholor are all better than what we have. Along with a great OL last year. They also had Ajayi If I remember right. Denver I’ll give you there year they won. But did they not have very good WRs and probably the 2nd best QB to ever play the game? Seattle also I’ll give you. But same thing... good OL, a good RB and probably a future HOF at QB.

We can’t build a team as if Darnold will be Brady, Manning or Wilson. 

1 minute ago, jetskid007 said:

Obviously Brady, I'm talking about around the QB. Gronk was a shell of himself this year... again they have good offensive players, but it's not like they have superstars skill position players anymore. They have guys that are good enough and fit in well with what they do (Gronk, Edelman, White, Michel). 

Jets aren't going to be contenders overnight. But they have some solid players. Need to build the offensive line, try to find another pass catcher, and grab the RB. Lot of work to be done, but I don't buy the notion that star offensive players = sustainable success in the NFL. 

I was agreeing with your bro.  And making the point that when you have a good/great QB the WR, RB play is elevated so you don't need superstars WRs or RBs. 

Archived