BDL Discussion Thread 2019

Jlash

Y'all making the same assumptions about this league that y'all make about the NFL season. Nobody really knows how 2020 is going to play out. I guarantee none of you thought Lamar Jackson would be an MVP candidate capable of single-handedly leading a team to the BizzBowl prior to Week 1 this year.

Mahomes and Jackson straight-up is a wash for me in the short term. We haven't even seen Jackson play even halfway decently in a playoff game yet; maybe next year is a crash back to earth for him and he ends up being a flash in the pan. Maybe that offense turns out to be something sustainable. Nobody knows. I know he can't sustain that level of play for longer than maybe five years. Long term, I'd rather have Mahomes. On the other hand, Mahomes is going to cost more, and much sooner.

Either way, these teams have to build very different offenses around each of those guys. They're both going to emphasize the deep ball. Jackson is going to need bigger passing game targets and a pass catching back to maximize his talents. Mahomes can get away with more varied pass catchers, but I think you can beat him if you force him to dink and dunk his way down the field. Those teams are going to have to account for that and ensure they put their guys in position to succeed. With nearly everyone in BDL having competent quarterback play, supporting cast and a clear offensive scheme matters.

Edited by Blue
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Blue said:

Y'all making the same assumptions about this league that y'all make about the NFL season. Nobody really knows how 2020 is going to play out. I guarantee none of you thought Lamar Jackson would be an MVP candidate capable of single-handedly leading a team to the BizzBowl prior to Week 1 this year.

Mahomes and Jackson straight-up is a wash for me in the short term. We haven't even seen Jackson play even halfway decently in a playoff game yet; maybe next year is a crash back to earth for him and he ends up being a flash in the pan. Maybe that offense turns out to be something sustainable. Nobody knows. I know he can't sustain that level of play for longer than maybe five years. Long term, I'd rather have Mahomes. On the other hand, Mahomes is going to cost more, and much sooner.

Either way, these teams have to build very different offenses around each of those guys. They're both going to emphasize the deep ball. Jackson is going to need bigger passing game targets and a pass catching back to maximize his talents. Mahomes can get away with more varied pass catchers, but I think you can beat him if you force him to dink and dunk his way down the field. Those teams are going to have to account for that and ensure they put their guys in position to succeed. With nearly everyone in BDL having competent quarterback play, supporting cast and a clear offensive scheme matters.

I would trust the league to look past just seeing a QBs name and voting lazily but I’ve seen it quite a bit. I think it’s improved but I saw some of it toward the end of the season.

18 minutes ago, Jlash said:

Stahp. We want to go back over all the preseason rankings going into this season and see how that all went down? You, me and everyone else have no clue how my roster is going to shape up. If I'm going to keep Mahomes for the foreseeable future major changes need to be made, as Frogs pointed out, financially. 

We talked about it and decided to swap elite QB's. The fact this trade would even be questioned as something that's detrimental to the league is super surprising to me.

It makes you the unquestioned favorite going into next year by a fair bit.  Short of extensive injuries, you'll win the BizzBowl...and that is disheartening going into the offseason.  Don't try to deny that you upgraded at QB.

21 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

It makes you the unquestioned favorite going into next year by a fair bit.  Short of extensive injuries, you'll win the BizzBowl...and that is disheartening going into the offseason.  Don't try to deny that you upgraded at QB.

True. 

Now that the precedent is set that the Bizz Bowl champs aren't allowed to improve their team, we can un-do the trade and go about the rest of our business. 

My b, everyone. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jlash said:

True. 

Now that the precedent is set that the Bizz Bowl champs aren't allowed to improve their team, we can un-do the trade and go about the rest of our business. 

My b, everyone. 

Not the point and you know it.

6 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Not the point and you know it.

I don't. You just ask me to justify a trade I made by acknowledging that my team got better. Do you see how stupid/cowardly/soft that seems? Who makes trades to make their team worse? Who trades the current MVP for the former MVP at the same position and gets heat for it? 

If I hadn't won the title this year, this trade wouldn't matter. Whether you intended to or not, you just made that really clear. That's the point of it. We have one approval, one retracted approval (even though if you weren't here you can't see Counselor editing his original approval) and one guy on the committee saying this trade is a detriment to the league and literally one of the most "disheartening moves you've ever seen". 

I'll withdraw the trade. 

Jackson is on the block for picks, guys. Sorry Xmad. You'll get by with Mahomes though. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jlash said:

I don't. You just ask me to justify a trade I made by acknowledging that my team got better. Do you see how stupid/cowardly/soft that seems? Who makes trades to make their team worse? Who trades the current MVP for the former MVP at the same position and gets heat for it? 

If I hadn't won the title this year, this trade wouldn't matter. Whether you intended to or not, you just made that really clear. That's the point of it. We have one approval, one retracted approval (even though if you weren't here you can't see Counselor editing his original approval) and one guy on the committee saying this trade is a detriment to the league and literally one of the most "disheartening moves you've ever seen". 

I'll withdraw the trade. 

Jackson is on the block for picks, guys. Sorry Xmad. You'll get by with Mahomes though. 

It is my job as being on the council to represent the league. I approved it as a joke because I thought it was a joke as Swole has been joking about trading Mahomes for a long time and since it was posted when we hadn’t launched the new season yet I assumed it as such. My fault for assuming. All I asked for was more time to think about it and hear some thoughts. Didn’t say I wouldn’t approve it. Even said I didn’t think it was the worst trade. I just wanted to take some more time.

3 minutes ago, Counselor said:

It is my job as being on the council to represent the league. I approved it as a joke because I thought it was a joke as Swole has been joking about trading Mahomes for a long time and since it was posted when we hadn’t launched the new season yet I assumed it as such. My fault for assuming. All I asked for was more time to think about it and hear some thoughts. Didn’t say I wouldn’t approve it. Even said I didn’t think it was the worst trade. I just wanted to take some more time.

I'm fine with that. 

1 minute ago, Counselor said:

Jlash I also am pretty sure I remember a similar reaction as Rags when you didn’t get Mahomes the first time. And a lot of that came from being upset that you couldn’t close the deal and Xmad got him and not you.

Now what is this? Not even close to true. I was made at how quickly A BRAND NEW LEAGUE MEMBER with zero concept of the value of QB's in this league immediately traded a potentially huge asset. Him and I hadn't even exchanged offers. When he posted Mahomes was available, I asked what his asking price was. By the next day Mahomes was gone for peanuts, and no one here wanted to protect a new league member and get him real value. 

Just now, Jlash said:

I'm fine with that. 

Now what is this? Not even close to true. I was made at how quickly A BRAND NEW LEAGUE MEMBER with zero concept of the value of QB's in this league immediately traded a potentially huge asset. Him and I hadn't even exchanged offers. When he posted Mahomes was available, I asked what his asking price was. By the next day Mahomes was gone for peanuts, and no one here wanted to protect a new league member and get him real value. 

Your Pms to a certain member state otherwise 

Just now, Counselor said:

Your Pms to a certain member state otherwise 

To who? You? You can bring Mike in here right now, he and I never exchanged a single offer. And whether I was going to be able to get Mahomes or not, the trade was bad, and  no one tried to protect a new league member and basically said "when you're new you make bad trades, sucks to suck."

Just now, Jlash said:

To who? You? You can bring Mike in here right now, he and I never exchanged a single offer. And whether I was going to be able to get Mahomes or not, the trade was bad, and  no one tried to protect a new league member and basically said "when you're new you make bad trades, sucks to suck."

I was asked to not go any further with this. I am approving your trade if you would edit it back in. And I will leave it at that. 

22 minutes ago, Jlash said:

I'll withdraw the trade. 

I didnt ask you to justify anything.

I'm on no committees.

I dont know I'd consider the trade detrimental.  Disheartening and detrimental are not the same.

2 minutes ago, Counselor said:

@Ragnarok while this does set up Camden nicely I don’t think this is unfair. He is giving a cheaper current MVP for a former soon to be more expensive MVP. It is not against the rules to try and improve your team as we all do it. So I will be approving the @Jlash and @SwoleXmad trade if it is reinstated by Jlash. That is all. 

That's fine.  I said disheartening.  I never said detrimental.

• Like 1