BDL Discussion Thread 2019

Jlash

Jack Riley Show - Interview with owner of Berlin Blitzkrieg, @Ragnarok

Good Morning Ragnarok and welcome to the Jack Riley Show.

So let's just get into it here.

Your next opponent, Bad Press..I mean PR is likely to be a tough matchup, they're a touch over .500. What do you view as their biggest strengths and weaknesses?

Hungary is a very good team from top to bottom.  They've done an excellent job of adding talent over the past year.  But we believe there are some areas we can exploit.

What is your approach likely to be against Hungary?

You'll have to wait to see.

How do you feel so far about the progress of Berlin's season?

We are very pleased with how our season has gone.  We have been lucky enough to not have many long-term injuries.  And we are especially pleased with the development of our 2nd and 3rd year players.

Are there any games where you feel the voters got it wrong?

Both of our losses have been very close and to very good teams.  But most of the reasons for voting against us have at least made logical sense.  Except for individuals hating on our excellent offensive line.

If you can only pick one, what player has been this teams biggest addition so far this season?

It has to be Brady.  Having a future HOFer guiding our offense has been a huge benefit.

Who would you say this team misses the most?

We were sorry to see Chris Godwin and Tyreek Hill leave over the last few months, but we believe we have WRs capable of replacing that production.

Right now Berlin is at a pivotal point in their season. There isnt much room for error if they want to make the playoffs. How do you feel right now about your chances?

We feel like we are as in strong a position as any team in BDL.  We are getting healthier as we expect Derrius Guice, David Johnson, and Will Fuller to return within the next couple weeks for a playoff push.  

What do you feel is your biggest strength as an Owner?

Knowledge.  A great deal of time is spent researching not only our opponents, but our own players.  

Name one; who is getting a new contract for Berlin in the offseason?

We have a number of talented young players worthy of a new contract.  Aaron Jones, Kenny Golladay, Hunter Henry, Taylor Moton, Za'Darius Smith, Leonard Williams, and Sheldon Rankins all deserve to get new deals.

If the draft were tomorrow Berlin selects who with their first pick?

The best player available.  It will likely depend on who we are able to retain in the offseason.

If you could point to one area who feel as owner you could improve what would it be?

Evaluating QBs in the draft.

Of the remaining games is there one you're looking forward to the most?

The next one.  

Any last thoughts?

Our offensive line is excellent.

Thank you for your time and good luck the rest of the season.

Thank you.

• Like 4

Jack Riley Show- Interview with Camden Hoodrats Owner, @Jlash

Let's be honest there weren't a lot of believers in Jackson in the draft. You took a chance on him that has certainly paid off. What did you see others didnt seem to?

I saw a player who showed improvement as a passer as each season went on. His ability on the ground will always be an X factor, but when I drafted him, I believed he had the ability to change the way the defense has to play a QB. I'm really happy with how he's progressed in year 2. 

On 11/4/2019 at 12:53 PM, wwhickok said:

Your running game this season has been hit or miss, is this an area you plan to address in the offseason?

I'm not totally sure. My two rookies are victim of circumstance. Montgomery is stuck on a team with a terrible line and a timid head coach, but he's shown he has the ability to carry the ball at this level. Damien Harris is on a team where you literally have no idea what the head coach is going to do from a week to week basis, but aside from Sony Michel Bill Belichick has been very reluctant to trust a rookie RB, so I expected that. If an opportunity presents itself for a game changer I would look at it

Camden has been hit massively with the injury bug this season. How much of a challenge has it been to overcome week to week?

It's been discouraging. I've always prided myself on my game plans, and when you have people say "Camden won the game plan aspect but they're just too beat up to win" it's deflating. Little by little we're getting healthier though and that makes it a lot more fun each week to put a plan together.

Who do you feel poses the biggest challenge to you on your remaining schedule?

Well my division is absurdly good, and that's never fun. I have Lancaster and Cuba set up in back to back weeks and the talent that each of those teams brings is undeniable. Gotham's owner is senile and his dementia really holds him back at this point in his career, but if he gets lucky he can steal a game. But for me, Cuba and Lancaster are the real trouble makers for me. 

Obviously Cooper Kupp was a huge acquisition for Camden but what was your motivation behind the trade?

I've been in the BDL a long time and one thing that will always be true is the more weapons you can give your QB the better off you are. Kupp fits the mold of the type of WR I like. A guy with reliable hands who can do damage after the catch. Counselor and I were talking about other players, and I just mentioned Kupp. He said something along the lines of "it would take a big offer to even consider it".....so I made a big offer. And Counselor is never afraid to make a move and I like that. 

If the draft were right after this interview, who would you be drafting?

Well.......I'd be waiting quite a while. Haha. With all the injuries at tackle and corner, I'd take a look at Mekhi Becton or A.J. Terrell.

Who is the best owner in the league other than yourself?

Man, that's a tough one. I don't even know how to quantify a "best" owner. I gotta say I probably respect Rags and SirA as much as anyone. For Rags, he's done nothing but lose in this league and all he does is show up and give it everything. That may sound like a slam, but most people would've thrown in the towel or have been super bitter about some of the luck he's had. And SirA because no matter how much he thinks the league holds a universal disdain for him he's done a ton to keep this machine running as smoothly as it does. 

Who is the worst, other than yourself?

Lukic. With the roster he has he shouldn't lose a game. Instead he gets cute and whines a bunch.

What has your biggest accomplishment/ failure been as an owner?

Biggest accomplishment is winning a BDL title, on the strength of an incredible draft that had me receive huge contributions from rookies Mike Evans, OBJ and Anthony Barr. Biggest failure to me is not being able to build a consistent, steady contender in this league. The trends change so much with new blood that it's been harder to establish a rhythm for me.

Anything else you'd like to add?

I'd like to thank Jack Riley for his time and having me on, and that this has been a great addition to the season content. Also, Pheltz don't forget to take your vitamins

• Like 3