On the Clock

onejayhawk

1 minute ago, onejayhawk said:

CB is a premium position, so "Many good CB's are to be had later." is a fantasy. Like any position, value is important. Risner is not going to be a good value for us. It is not like he would be the difference between a Super Bowl team and missing the playoffs. 

J

Yes, but so is safety. At least as the Chiefs go. They have none that I'd start really. But that's the issue. KC has a pathetic defensive backfield needing help everywhere.

Oh boy, Jason La Canfora is usually pretty good with his ears.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-combine-2019-shopping-players-on-fifth-year-option-a-growing-trend-plus-more-insider-notes/

Chiefs looking to add ... offense

I continue to hear the Chiefs are, believe it or not, trying to do something big for an offensive skill player. Yes, despite all of the talent they have already amassed on that side of the ball, and despite their obvious issues on defense, they are sniffing around on trade options and some teams I spoke to wouldn't be shocked if they got in on Le'Veon Bell. Bottom line is don't be shocked if these guys come away with a big-time receiver or running back.

1 hour ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

Oh boy, Jason La Canfora is usually pretty good with his ears.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-combine-2019-shopping-players-on-fifth-year-option-a-growing-trend-plus-more-insider-notes/

Chiefs looking to add ... offense

I continue to hear the Chiefs are, believe it or not, trying to do something big for an offensive skill player. Yes, despite all of the talent they have already amassed on that side of the ball, and despite their obvious issues on defense, they are sniffing around on trade options and some teams I spoke to wouldn't be shocked if they got in on Le'Veon Bell. Bottom line is don't be shocked if these guys come away with a big-time receiver or running back.

This is probably worth its own thread. I am inclined to believe his sources. We have drafted extensively for defense in the last two drafts. Now we have TK, Nnadi, Do'D, Speaks, Watts positioned to take on bigger roles. 

J

2 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

This is probably worth its own thread. I am inclined to believe his sources. We have drafted extensively for defense in the last two drafts. Now we have TK, Nnadi, Do'D, Speaks, Watts positioned to take on bigger roles. 

J

Wasn't sure if speculation was worth it having its own thread but seemed pretty big. I'll make one up.

29: R1P29

CB DEANDRE BAKER
GEORGIA
61: R2P29
CHAUNCEY GARDNER-JOHNSON
FLORIDA
63: R2P31

DL JEFFERY SIMMONS
MISSISSIPPI STATE
92: R3P28

LB VOSEAN JOSEPH
FLORIDA

Had some tough decisions in this draft; Rock Ya Sin, and Jonanthan Abrams were also available with our second round picks but couldn't pass up getting a potential game changer at DT in Jeffery Simmons. David Montgomery, Jace Sternberger, Anthony Nelson, and Joe Jackson was also available with our third round pick.

I'm really not fond of Baker. Big speed concerns, I don't think he can play outside in the NFL.

Simmons at the end of 2nd is pretty unrealistic but if we can get him there we should jump on the opportunity. Though I'm not sure where he'd fit as a Jones Simmons duo might be a bit light inside 

YOUR PICKS

1: R1P29   LB DEVIN BUSH MICHIGAN

2: R2P29   DL DEXTER LAWRENCE CLEMSON

3: R2P31 S CHAUNCEY GARDNER-JOHNSON FLORIDA

4: R3P28   RB DARRELL HENDERSON MEMPHIS 

I would be very happy with this lot.

On 3/1/2019 at 10:49 AM, mayanfootball said:

Yes, but so is safety. At least as the Chiefs go. They have none that I'd start really. But that's the issue. KC has a pathetic defensive backfield needing help everywhere.

Safety is not a premium position, almost the opposite. Backfield help is a good idea but CB is much preferable to S in the first two rounds. 

J

9 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Safety is not a premium position, almost the opposite. Backfield help is a good idea but CB is much preferable to S in the first two rounds. 

I'll let Eric Berry answer that.

KC gave up the 2nd. most passing yards/gm.(273.4, 2nd. to Cincy). KC also led the NFL in giving up 20+ yds pass plays (65 of 'em). That reflects poor safety play. IMO we need a CB, SS and FS. I don't care what order.

9 hours ago, mayanfootball said:

I'll let Eric Berry answer that.

KC gave up the 2nd. most passing yards/gm.(273.4, 2nd. to Cincy). KC also led the NFL in giving up 20+ yds pass plays (65 of 'em). That reflects poor safety play. IMO we need a CB, SS and FS. I don't care what order.

Eric Berry is exactly my point. It takes a truly exceptional player for a safety to be worth a top-five pick. Berry is everything every team wants in a player--great physical makeup, great skills, great instincts, great work ethic, great leadership--yet he still lasted four picks to us. You can do this again with Luke Kuechly. He lasted to pick #9. DE or Edge rushers with those attributes go #1. CB and WR go #2 or #3 because someone reaches for a QB.

Yes, the Chiefs need help in the secondary, though perhaps less than you think. They can find help in free agents much more easily at S than at CB. 

J

Post combine, steve/fanspeak, multiple, difficult settings:

29: R1P29 C DALTON RISNER KANSAS STATE

61: R2P29 WR HAKEEM BUTLER IOWA STATE

63: R2P31 CB LONNIE JOHNSON JR. KENTUCKY

92: R3P28 DL RENELL WREN ARIZONA STATE

167: R5P29 LB JOE GILES-HARRIS DUKE

201: R6P28 S DELVON RANDALL TEMPLE

214: R6P41 S AMANI HOOKER IOWA

216: R7P2 DL DANIEL WISE KANSAS

This is BR Matt/Fanspeak/Difficult

29: TE TJ HOCKENSON IOWA
61: ELGTON JENKINS MISSISSIPPI STATE
63: CHAUNCEY GARDNER-JOHNSON FLORIDA
92: LB GERMAINE PRATT NC STATE
Fanspeak Steve/FS/Difficult
29: DL DREMONT JONES OHIO STATE
61: GARRETT BRADBURY NC STATE
63:  LB MACK WILSON ALABAMA
92:  DARNELL SAVAGE MARYLAND
J

Defense heavy, duh. I liked the CB's early. Lonnie Johnson should get a vote of approval from new coach House.

29: R1P29 LB DEVIN BUSH MICHIGAN

61: R2P29 CB LONNIE JOHNSON KENTUCKY

63: R2P31 CB JOEJUAN WILLIAMS VANDERBILT

92: R3P28 DL KHALEN SAUNDERS WESTERN ILLINOIS

167: R5P29 WR GARY JENNINGS JR. WEST VIRGINIA

201: R6P28 S ANDREW WINGARD WYOMING

214: R6P41 S DELVON RANDALL TEMPLE

216: R7P2 WR MILES BOYKIN NOTRE DAME

Draftek, same, difficult settings:

Morse looking to go elsewhere. New Safety in town. Chiefs do draft CB every draft, and they need 'em now.

29: R1P29 CB AMANI ORUWARIYE PENN STATE

61: R2P29 WR HAKEEM BUTLER IOWA STATE

63: R2P31 C GARRETT BRADBURY NORTH CAROLINA ST

92: R3P28 CB LONNIE JOHNSON KENTUCKY

Archived