WSH Coach Changes: O'Connell to OC/Rob Ryan (yes him) to LBs coach

MikeT14

2 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Yeah, this guy who has been an NFL DC for the past decade or so and who won 2 SBs while serving as the DB coach for **** LeBeau — quite the desperation hire as our DB coach. We would have had the much better and more qualified coach had we stuck with the guy who ended up as a college cornerbacks coach. 

I like the Horton hire. He did some great things with that Steelers secondary. And as I said in the other thread, I like the idea of a “passing defense coordinator” who can add some coverage scheme expertise to the duo of Manusky and Tomsula that is certainly more front seven oriented. 

Except Horton didn't get the passing defense coordinator position, or whatever it was.  Horton also has had his defenses ranked in the bottom third of the league every year as a DC in terms of yards and points, so I have doubts he can "coordinate" the passing game since his defensive units were so bad.  He's also spent the past two years out of football.  

Also, don't act like Torrian Gray just ended up as a college cornerbacks coach.  His work both in college and the pros speaks for itself.  He's a fantastic recruiter in college as well, and is replacing a DB legend in Charlton Warren, who went to my Bulldogs.  I wanted Gray on my staff if we couldn't get Warren.  

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Apparently Wes Phillips turned down an extension has left and we hired his replacement Brian Angelichio

Of course he did, why stick around when it looks like he's going to have a home with the Rams and get to coach with McVay and his dad again.  

Also, this forum will be shocked to know Angelichio has roots in Tampa Bay.  

It doesn’t matter. Barring some sort of miracle run by this team next year, Jay is gone. I would assume the talks with Bowles and Williams probably discussed this as well. It’s better for these coaches to jump ship now and find work because they will be doing that next year anyway. 

This team is set up for a disastrous year going into next season. This just feels like one of those historically bad years. And yes, I would take a 1-15 season if it got Bruce out of here. You don’t just lose good coaches like Gray, Olividatti, Kotwica and Phillips because things are looking up. They are all jumping from the titanic and don’t want the stink of what’s coming on their resumes’. 

Hell, even if Allen isn't out, a 1-15 season either sets us up to take Herbert or Tu'a, and if we made a mistake with drafting a QB this year, it's easily rectified or we trade the pick and end up with an RGIII trade in return.   At the very least, thats talent that could luck the Redskins into something better. 

20 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Of course he did, why stick around when it looks like he's going to have a home with the Rams and get to coach with McVay and his dad again.  

Also, this forum will be shocked to know Angelichio has roots in Tampa Bay.  

To be fair, it's understandable that Wes Phillips would want to go coach with McVay and Wade. It's a big positive for his career trajectory, and he gets to coach with his dad.

On 1/22/2019 at 12:17 PM, Woz said:

And likely would have gone down in quality at the DC.

Yes, down from Manusky.

I don't know that you can do much worse.

On 1/25/2019 at 1:48 PM, e16bball said:

Yeah, this guy who has been an NFL DC for the past decade or so and who won 2 SBs while serving as the DB coach for **** LeBeau — quite the desperation hire as our DB coach. We would have had the much better and more qualified coach had we stuck with the guy who ended up as a college cornerbacks coach. 

I like the Horton hire. He did some great things with that Steelers secondary. And as I said in the other thread, I like the idea of a “passing defense coordinator” who can add some coverage scheme expertise to the duo of Manusky and Tomsula that is certainly more front seven oriented. 

Torrian Gray is one of the best DB teachers in football. His track record speaks for itself.

On 1/25/2019 at 3:59 PM, naptownskinsfan said:

Except Horton didn't get the passing defense coordinator position, or whatever it was.  Horton also has had his defenses ranked in the bottom third of the league every year as a DC in terms of yards and points, so I have doubts he can "coordinate" the passing game since his defensive units were so bad.  He's also spent the past two years out of football.  

Also, don't act like Torrian Gray just ended up as a college cornerbacks coach.  His work both in college and the pros speaks for itself.  He's a fantastic recruiter in college as well, and is replacing a DB legend in Charlton Warren, who went to my Bulldogs.  I wanted Gray on my staff if we couldn't get Warren.  

<Bolded> This ^^^. Not real fond of this hire of Horton. I can be persuaded otherwise. But only if things improve on the field.

4 hours ago, jrry32 said:

To be fair, it's understandable that Wes Phillips would want to go coach with McVay and Wade. It's a big positive for his career trajectory, and he gets to coach with his dad.

Torrian Gray is one of the best DB teachers in football. His track record speaks for itself.

Absolutely it's a big positive to go there.  The problem is, this team could've had Phillips solely for that reason- father wanted to coach with son.  However, Jay Gruden essentially interviewed Phillips to prove his offense was better than his defense and tried to embarrass him in the film room, and hired a guy from the Tampa Bay Bucs tree yet again (which was also funny, because Joe Barry's DC in San Diego was on Phillips' staff years before and essentially ran his defense, but less effectively....but I digress.) . 

This team could do much worse.  Ray Horton would've been a worse hire as DC for one.  At least Manusky has had a couple units pop into the top half of the league.

I still mark it being a mistake we let Gray go.  He's got a bright future ahead of him, and one of the few coaches who can say they've had success in the college and pros.  

23 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Absolutely it's a big positive to go there.  The problem is, this team could've had Phillips solely for that reason- father wanted to coach with son.  However, Jay Gruden essentially interviewed Phillips to prove his offense was better than his defense and tried to embarrass him in the film room, and hired a guy from the Tampa Bay Bucs tree yet again (which was also funny, because Joe Barry's DC in San Diego was on Phillips' staff years before and essentially ran his defense, but less effectively....but I digress.) . 

This team could do much worse.  Ray Horton would've been a worse hire as DC for one.  At least Manusky has had a couple units pop into the top half of the league.

I still mark it being a mistake we let Gray go.  He's got a bright future ahead of him, and one of the few coaches who can say they've had success in the college and pros.  

Eh, I don't think you'd be doing a lot worse unless you made the dumbest hire ever (like deciding to hire somebody who has proven time and time again that he's totally incompetent, such as Jim O'Neill). When Ray Horton had a lot of defensive talent in Arizona, his units were comparable to Manusky's unit in 2018. Sticking with Manusky feels like the Rams giving Fisher another year. You know he is a mediocre retread. I'd take a shot on somebody else. Hell, there are retreads still on the street who have better track records.

I have a feeling that Gray departing was a mutual decision. Frankly, if he wanted to leave to go back to college, the Redskins couldn't stop him. I think he wanted out. 

23 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Eh, I don't think you'd be doing a lot worse unless you made the dumbest hire ever (like deciding to hire somebody who has proven time and time again that he's totally incompetent, such as Jim O'Neill). When Ray Horton had a lot of defensive talent in Arizona, his units were comparable to Manusky's unit in 2018. Sticking with Manusky feels like the Rams giving Fisher another year. You know he is a mediocre retread. I'd take a shot on somebody else. Hell, there are retreads still on the street who have better track records.

I have a feeling that Gray departing was a mutual decision. Frankly, if he wanted to leave to go back to college, the Redskins couldn't stop him. I think he wanted out. 

Yeah, but even retreads dont want to relocate their family for a year, only to be looking for another job next year.  By keeping Gruden, we are stuck with Manusky.  

Considering we interviewed a potential replacement for Gray while he was on staff and rumor got out that he was getting fired, I am not surprised that it might end up being a mutual decision, and given that I would want out too.  He's in a much better position with Florida anyway.  

On 1/26/2019 at 8:42 PM, jrry32 said:
On 1/22/2019 at 2:17 PM, Woz said:

And likely would have gone down in quality at the DC.

Yes, down from Manusky.

I find your lack of faith (in Allen's incompetence and ineptitude) ... disturbing.

Archived