THE QUES T FOR T HE COACH H ATH ENDE D

buno67

Not really enamored with Wilks after how he stubbornly changed that defense in arizona but not even sure who I wanted. ****ty pool of candidates. Please don't play ward in zone.

Freddie was all I really cared about. Just hope Dorsey fills those holes on defense at this point.

21 minutes ago, jonnytwoshoes said:

Not really enamored with Wilks after how he stubbornly changed that defense in arizona but not even sure who I wanted. ****ty pool of candidates. Please don't play ward in zone.

Freddie was all I really cared about. Just hope Dorsey fills those holes on defense at this point.

stubbornly changed that defense? Why should he not be allowed to change the defense? It be like having Freddie change his offense because he became HC. He got hired because they liked what he did with the Panthers, so he should come to the team and try and install his defense and recreate what has given himself. If you are going to hire a coordinator you better allow him to do the things that made you like  him in the first place

With the Panthers, he had them as the #11 passing defense and #5 rush defense. #7 overal. 

8 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Did Wilks call plays on defense last year? I wanna find that out. Hopefully not 

Holcomb, who will be entirely responsible for calling the defense on game days, said the biggest adjustment the players likely will have is the new terminology they will have to learn.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nfl/cardinals/2018/01/30/arizona-cardinals-defensive-coordinator-al-holcomb-chandler-jones-tyrann-mathieu-patrick-peterson/1080315001/

This is the only thing I have found that said Wilks wasnt. 

I just think Wilks will be excited to play with a legit offense behind his defense again. 

8 minutes ago, buno67 said:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nfl/cardinals/2018/01/30/arizona-cardinals-defensive-coordinator-al-holcomb-chandler-jones-tyrann-mathieu-patrick-peterson/1080315001/

I just think Wilks will be excited to play with a legit offense behind his defense again. 

It’s not easy to have your defense be on the field basically the entire game. I do believe we need another corner. 

Also I would love al Holcomb as LB coach 

6 minutes ago, buno67 said:

stubbornly changed that defense? Why should he not be allowed to change the defense? It be like having Freddie change his offense because he became HC. He got hired because they liked what he did with the Panthers, so he should come to the team and try and install his defense and recreate what has given himself. If you are going to hire a coordinator you better allow him to do the things that made you like  him in the first place

With the Panthers, he had them as the #11 passing defense and #5 rush defense. #7 overal. 

I never said a coach shouldn't be allowed to change his defense yet you made an entire post attacking that point.

He turned a top defense in the league in to an average one at best. And it wasn't some fluke, he changed the entire scheme. Should we be excited about that?

And Carolina's defense was already strong before he took over the Panthers defensive coordinator position in 2017. Granted he was a part of the defense so he should get some credit to begin with.

2 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

It’s not easy to have your defense be on the field basically the entire game. I do believe we need another corner. 

Also I would love al Holcomb as LB coach 

thats what I mean man. That Arizona offense was so bad last year. It would have been awful playing defense for that squad. You have to walk into every game that you had to hope to hold the opponent to only 7 pts and pray that your offense doesnt throw a couple pick6s

1 minute ago, jonnytwoshoes said:

I never said a coach shouldn't be allowed to change his defense yet you made an entire post attacking that point.

He turned a top defense in the league in to an average one at best. And it wasn't some fluke, he changed the entire scheme. Should we be excited about that?

And Carolina's defense was already strong before he took over the Panthers defensive coordinator position in 2017. Granted he was a part of the defense so he should get some credit to begin with.

The year before they were 19th scoring defense and the year before the 14th scoring defense.  Yeah the Cards didnt give up a lot of yards. As they had some top defenses in yardage but they werent keeping people out of the endzone. Also lets not forget years prior they had an offense that actually supported the defense. Yeah prior, Cards had a legit rushing attack and a QB in Palmer that keep the defense off the field and gave the defense support, that would allow them to do a whole lot of things defensively. You look at the Cards this year, they were the worst offense in the league. Offense only scored 14pts a game. Thats a tough task to expect a defense to hold the oppoent to at least 13 pts a game if you want a chance to win. 

There’s a reason football is the ultimate team game it’s because the defense relies on the offense and vice versa. As much as the Wilks hiring is meh to most we do have far better talent. Across the entire team. And with our cap space and draft we’re just going to get better. Is zone ideal for Ward no but he’s a professional former 4th overall pick. Either He’ll adjust or Wilks will adjust and be just fine. Ppl forget we were the 30th ranked defense last year and gave up 45 to the raiders. We were abused by screens and TEs and we were constantly the subject of terrible technique tackling wise. If we are just middle the pack or better we win two more games. We’re going to be fine. We have Baker now. We have a playcaller that knows how to use them. A much much much better ST coordinator and a decent/unknown DC. I like where we’re at. 

40 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Yep I just read that article. Gives me  glimmer of hope. 

18 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

new ST coach. Reading though the comments it seems like Vikings fans didn’t like him  

See what Chris Kluwe had to say about him.

Over the past 6 years we have had kicker issues and it never got better. Daniel Carlson instantly got better as soon as he left Minnesota for Oakland. I think VD mentioned that he changed his kicking stance due to his height and went 14/15 with the Raiders.

Priefer is probably a bit overrated given the surplus of talent he's had over the years at returns and coverage (Patterson, Jayron Kearse, Kentrell Brothers, Harvin etc) but he's not a bad hire.

The Browns are looking upward. It'll be interesting to see if it all comes together. Good luck!

18 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

See what Chris Kluwe had to say about him.

Over the past 6 years we have had kicker issues and it never got better. Daniel Carlson instantly got better as soon as he left Minnesota for Oakland. I think VD mentioned that he changed his kicking stance due to his height and went 14/15 with the Raiders.

Priefer is probably a bit overrated given the surplus of talent he's had over the years at returns and coverage (Patterson, Jayron Kearse, Kentrell Brothers, Harvin etc) but he's not a bad hire.

The Browns are looking upward. It'll be interesting to see if it all comes together. Good luck!

I don't believe anyone is every going to be good at all phases coverage units/blocking/scheming fakes/kicking. I believe teams should start looking toward having a ST coordinator and Kicking Coach. I was special teams coordinator several years ago but there was a kid on the staff who knew a whole lot more than me about kicking so I asked him to coach the kicker when we practiced that part of special teams. The rest of it I would have coached circles around that kid.

Archived