rcon14 Mock 1.0

rcon14

10 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Thank you!

I put Ferrell in that second tier, move Gary down with Polite.

I put another tier in there, Burns and Sweat.

Then there is that Ximes (Old Dominion kid) and Ferguson.  And I know I'm missing some.

For now.

Guessing the combine will change things.  I can see Ferguson rising.  I can see Polite rising.  I can see Ferrell falling.  If Ferrell is smart (and I hope he isn't for our sake) he will do his drills on his campus.  He's not going to test as well as a lot of those guys apples to apples at the combine.

Ferguson is interesting. It's tough with guys who played at a lower level of competition to really evaluate how they are as athletes, without some hard numbers. I like his tape though. Ferrell is very much in that tier in very light pencil. If he bombs the combine, he'll get tossed off my board completely.

4 hours ago, Joe said:

I like this for the most part, but I think we could address Safety a lot earlier. I also don't think Hockenson makes it to 44 and Edwards makes it to 75. Other than that, good work!

Any thoughts on trading down with pick 12?  

Maybe Oakland wants a QB at 12 and needs to jump ahead of Miami to draft Drew Locke or Daniel Jones

Pick number 12 for picks #27 and #35?  About equal on the trade value chart. (1200 points for 1230 points)

#27  Edge  Burns or Polite

#30  (Saints lose to Rams) Tight End  Hockenson

#35  Guard   Lindstrom or Rissner

#44 Safety   Adderley or Abrams

We fill 4 major needs in the first 2 rounds.

4 minutes ago, 66fan said:

Maybe Oakland wants a QB at 12 and needs to jump ahead of Miami to draft Drew Locke or Daniel Jones

Pick number 12 for picks #27 and #35?  About equal on the trade value chart. (1200 points for 1230 points)

I mean sure, maybe. If Burns or Polite makes it to 27 they likely didn't test well so they probably wouldn't be on my board.

17 minutes ago, 66fan said:

I get the trade down idea....Polite will be long gone.  Burns is very, very light and would be a project.

I'd argue in this draft, there is better value at #30 than a tight end.

I"m more of the midset to move a third or fourth, move up a couple spots and secure a high end edge.

Just now, vegas492 said:

I get the trade down idea....Polite will be long gone.  Burns is very, very light and would be a project.

I'd argue in this draft, there is better value at #30 than a tight end.

I"m more of the midset to move a third or fourth, move up a couple spots and secure a high end edge.

I really struggle with taking a TE in the first round. It's a project I plan on working on this off-season, but I feel like TE in particular has a very high "bust" rate in the first, or at least a very high "didn't give us what we were hoping for" problem.

2 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

I really struggle with taking a TE in the first round. It's a project I plan on working on this off-season, but I feel like TE in particular has a very high "bust" rate in the first, or at least a very high "didn't give us what we were hoping for" problem.

I probably don’t take a tight end in the first, but I look at some that we have passed up in the last few years that would have been great additions such as Goedert last year. I am not sure Hockenson will be there much past the top of the 2nd round and he seems to be the most complete inline tight end in the draft.

1 hour ago, rcon14 said:

That's kind of the thing. If you have four or five guys you have graded out similar in terms of value, then moving down a few spots is fine.

Absolutely.  My concern is that we're going to sit with the board pretty damn weak.  Nick Bosa and Quinnen are the blue chip prospects in this year's class, and they'll be long gone. Then you get into that tier or two with guys like Jonah Williams, Josh Allen, Clelin Ferrell, Ed Oliver, Greedy Williams, etc., and none of them are available.

17 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Absolutely.  My concern is that we're going to sit with the board pretty damn weak.  Nick Bosa and Quinnen are the blue chip prospects in this year's class, and they'll be long gone. Then you get into that tier or two with guys like Jonah Williams, Josh Allen, Clelin Ferrell, Ed Oliver, Greedy Williams, etc., and none of them are available.

It's almost a guarantee that Haskins goes before us. I'd say it's pretty likely that Murray does as well. Then you're in a situation where some team is probably going to convince themselves that one of Daniel Jones/Drew Lock is the answer at QB and trades up for him. You don't really get to sit and get a QB much anymore, so it would be teams trading up to get them. That'll help push the talent down. IMO, GB is actually in a great spot at 12. The worst case scenario for me still leaves a good OT there or a good EDGE. I just don't see all six/seven EDGE guys that are currently top 15 or so on different boards all going before 12, especially considering that two QBs will probably go before 12.

20 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

It's almost a guarantee that Haskins goes before us. I'd say it's pretty likely that Murray does as well. Then you're in a situation where some team is probably going to convince themselves that one of Daniel Jones/Drew Lock is the answer at QB and trades up for him. You don't really get to sit and get a QB much anymore, so it would be teams trading up to get them. That'll help push the talent down. IMO, GB is actually in a great spot at 12. The worst case scenario for me still leaves a good OT there or a good EDGE. I just don't see all six/seven EDGE guys that are currently top 15 or so on different boards all going before 12, especially considering that two QBs will probably go before 12.

Agree.  There is a good possibility 2-3 QB's go before our #12 pick which as you stated, leaves us in pretty good shape for a nice, nice player. 

8 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Agree.  There is a good possibility 2-3 QB's go before our #12 pick which as you stated, leaves us in pretty good shape for a nice, nice player. 

Like, from my personal perspective, the only draftable QBs pre-day 3 (i.e. starting caliber QBs) are Murray and Haskins. Every year we see NFL teams trip over themselves to give up major capital for guys that just don't seem that good (Daniel Jones and Drew Lock in this year's case), so while mock drafts right now only have Haskins going above GB, that would be a significant deviation from what we've seen teams do over the past few years.

Archived