Preseason Week 3: Bills @ Ravens

Webmaster

3 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

I'd rather go 2-14 than 6-10 again tbqh.

Break out the tank gifs, lets effing go.

I understand the logic and I don't even necessarily think it's wrong but I just can't get behind a team willingly losing games. The mediocrity is so tiring but going full on Jets mode is just something that I would hate. 

I mean if Tyrod is hurt is it really all that different to just throw out whatever garbage we have at backup QB (tho if we sign Kaep I'll revel in the tears) and just suck becuase, well.

We have a 5th round rookie and the shambling corpse of T.J. Yates? 

Plus as a baseball nerd I always advocate tanking a year wherin we weren't competing to begin with in order to build a long term winner. I'd rather have the pick of the entire draft for who we want than pick 6th again and take a frigging guard or something. Lets suck, get a QB, and start building towards something finally.

38 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

I`d rather go 5-11 with Peterman than 6-10 or 7-9 with Tyrod.

Lets see what he can do. 

Do you believe it is possible to hurt a QB's long-term progress by making him endure constant pass-rushing pressure so that he ends up forcing/taking too many risks and never becomes confident? Or maybe it forces him to try to learn the playbook too fast, so he never thoroughly gets it, again, yielding poor play and probable lack of confidence? Or do you believe the best thing for young QB's to experience is trial by fire?

1 minute ago, Yibbyl said:

Do you believe it is possible to hurt a QB's long-term progress by making him endure constant pass-rushing pressure so that he ends up forcing/taking too many risks and never becomes confident? Or maybe it forces him to try to learn the playbook too fast, so he never thoroughly gets it, again, yielding poor play and probable lack of confidence? Or do you believe the best thing for young QB's to experience is trial by fire?

I've always been a big proponent that you either "have it" or you don't. You see mental processing and accuracy from jump with the good ones. You very, VERY rarely see guys develop that.

10 hours ago, Yibbyl said:

Similar to what Thelonebillsfan said, QB`s have it or they don`t. I think it is possible that time on the bench can maybe help them learn some nuances of the game like how to study film, go through a full season of practices and get a routine down, things like that. 

But the days of QB`s sitting on the bench for 3 or 4 seasons are long gone. Also Peterman was considered the most NFL ready pre-draft. 

Full disclosure, I don`t think he is our franchise guy, but rather a steady career backup with spot starting potential. But he does what this offense wants MUCH better than Tyrod and that much is clear. 

2 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Similar to what Thelonebillsfan said, QB`s have it or they don`t. I think it is possible that time on the bench can maybe help them learn some nuances of the game like how to study film, go through a full season of practices and get a routine down, things like that. 

But the days of QB`s sitting on the bench for 3 or 4 seasons are long gone. Also Peterman was considered the most NFL ready pre-draft. 

Full disclosure, I don`t think he is our franchise guy, but rather a steady career backup with spot starting potential. But he does what this offense wants MUCH better than Tyrod and that much is clear. 

I think Cousins and Rodgers were the last to successfully do this. I also wonder if maybe that what's happening to Garoppolo and maybe even McCarron right now. Honestly, only their organizations  probably really know. I understand the idea of having "it", but think the reality is that the Carr's and Winston's are the minority, not the norm. I was vocal about wanting Peterman, but agree that his limit is probably a 20-25th rated QB, with a far more likelihood that he has an extended career as a backup. Still, I brought up the idea because what if he somehow ends up being our long-term successful project? I'd hate to think I had misjudged him as not capable of being our guy...and I have a history of colossally misjudging QB's..."Yeah, we need to pull the trigger on Tyler Wilson. He's going to be a really good one."! LOL

4 hours ago, Yibbyl said:

I think Cousins and Rodgers were the last to successfully do this. I also wonder if maybe that what's happening to Garoppolo and maybe even McCarron right now. Honestly, only their organizations  probably really know. I understand the idea of having "it", but think the reality is that the Carr's and Winston's are the minority, not the norm. I was vocal about wanting Peterman, but agree that his limit is probably a 20-25th rated QB, with a far more likelihood that he has an extended career as a backup. Still, I brought up the idea because what if he somehow ends up being our long-term successful project? I'd hate to think I had misjudged him as not capable of being our guy...and I have a history of colossally misjudging QB's..."Yeah, we need to pull the trigger on Tyler Wilson. He's going to be a really good one."! LOL

If you look at the 32 starting QB's in the league, 27 of them were drafted in the top 75 and the ones to start right away and be successful are: Luck, Stafford, Bradford (debatable), Newton, Winston, Palmer, Mariota, Wentz, Ryan, Rivers, Tannehil, Roethlesburger, Flacco, Dalton, Brees, Carr, Wilson. 

Start and be Unsuccessful: Alex Smith (now a success). Bortles

The ones where it is too early to tell are: Goff, Kizer, Watson, Trubisky?

That leaves Aaron Rodger, Josh McCown, Brian Hoyer and Eli Manning as the ones who sat for at least part of their rookie season or more. 

I know Peterman was drafted after pick 75 so he does not fit into this, but my thought still remains, that there is merit to playing right away and if you have what it takes, you will still. There are late round guys who sat for a bit and then performed well  at times, Cousins (like you mentioned), Tyrod and the outlier Brady. But the reality is, the best QB's in the league are high picks who start right away. Peterman who was considered the most NFL ready is unlikely to learn anything riding the bench this season and is likely much better off playing sooner than later. 

Just now, Thelonebillsfan said:

Yates is in the concussion protocol too.

Come on just sign Kaep and lets get on with it. There's no way whichever garbage street QB you bring in will be better.

My guess is who ever is brought in will be a body for the 4th game only then be cut. No way they bring in a distraction just for that.

Archived