NFC North Rivals 2019 Talk

dll2000

NFC North selected as the toughest division in the NFL.

Yeah though I walk through the Valley of Death I will fear no losses

Because we are the toughest SOBs in the Valley.  Molon Labe.  (come and take it)

Edited by soulman

http://www.startribune.com/aaron-rodgers-and-new-coach-matt-lafleur-already-disagree-about-audibles/511513682/

Per Michael Silver on NFL.com, LaFleur said this recently: “Aaron and I have had some good talks, and we’re going to have to talk a lot more — and one thing we have to work through is the audible thing. … We’ve never really had a quarterback who’s had complete freedom to change plays at the line, because that’s not really the way the offense is set up. But, I mean, this is Aaron Rodgers. He’s had a lot of freedom to make those calls, and deservedly so. Now, how do we reconcile that, and get to a place where we put him in the best position to succeed?

Yes, how do you do that? Well, Rodgers has an idea. Basically: Let me do my thing. Also per the NFL.com story:

“It’s a conversation in progress. I don’t think you want to ask me to turn off 11 years (of recognizing defenses). We have a number of check with mes and line-of-scrimmage stuff. It’s just the other stuff that really not many people in this league can do. That’s not like a humblebrag or anything; that’s just a fact. There aren’t many people that can do at the line of scrimmage what I’ve done over the years. I mean, obviously, Tommy (Brady) can do it, no doubt. Peyton (Manning) could do it. Drew (Brees) can do it. (Patrick) Mahomes will be able to do it. Ben (Roethlisberger) has called the two-minute for years. There are a few of us who’ve just done it; it’s kind of second nature. And that’s just the icing on the cake for what I can do in this offense.”

I have variations on conversations like that pretty much every day with my 5-year-old. In those scenarios, I’m usually LaFleur and Rodgers is the 5-year-old.

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

“It’s a conversation in progress. I don’t think you want to ask me to turn off 11 years (of recognizing defenses). We have a number of check with mes and line-of-scrimmage stuff. It’s just the other stuff that really not many people in this league can do. That’s not like a humblebrag or anything; that’s just a fact. There aren’t many people that can do at the line of scrimmage what I’ve done over the years. I mean, obviously, Tommy (Brady) can do it, no doubt. Peyton (Manning) could do it. Drew (Brees) can do it. (Patrick) Mahomes will be able to do it. Ben (Roethlisberger) has called the two-minute for years. There are a few of us who’ve just done it; it’s kind of second nature. And that’s just the icing on the cake for what I can do in this offense.”

No not at all.  What makes you think any of us will take it that way Coach Rodgers.

I predict this may not end well for the Porkers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soulman said:

No not at all.  What makes you think any of us will take it that way Coach Rodgers.

I predict this may not end well for the Porkers.

I mean Tommy.  And I call him Tommy because I am a ****** with my stupid TV cop mustache.  He can do it.  Why can't I?

• Like 1

Funny thing is Rodgers is right.  But why, why, why, make this argument in the media after OTAs?

This is something you hash out and discuss with your new coach in private shortly after he is hired. You get the playbook you go through it.  You learn play calling system and then you call coach and sit down together and go through it with your notes and opinions on minor tweaks and changes that fit you better.  He will respect you and probably agree with most everything you say.  Maybe his arguments are convincing to you and maybe yours to him.  Either way you get on same page.  

What a jag Rodgers is.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I mean Tommy.  And I call him Tommy because I am a ****** with my stupid TV cop mustache.  He can do it.  Why can't I?

Notice that Patrick Mahomes has not yet been elevated to a first name basis by his honor and Lord High Priest of his offense.

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

LaFleur said this recently: “Aaron and I have had some good talks, and we’re going to have to talk a lot more — and one thing we have to work through is the audible thing.

THIS is very telling.  It's a little more emphatic than "I'd like a word with you" and almost immediately Rodgers becomes defensive.  Not exactly a true meeting of the minds right out of the gate is it?

Then you have the as of yet part that goes "I've been calling audibles at the LOS for eleven years.  How long have you been calling play Matt, a year"?  Can't say that all of it doesn't tickle me to death though.

I'm hoping for a play call that comes in on 3rd down with only seconds remaining in the half to run a draw play so we can watch Rodgers tell LaFleur to GFY like Cutler did with Martz.  I'll be in tears.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, soulman said:

Notice that Patrick Mahomes has not yet been elevated to a first name basis by his honor and Lord High Priest of his offense.

THIS is very telling.  It's a little more emphatic than "I'd like a word with you" and almost immediately Rodgers becomes defensive.  Not exactly a true meeting of the minds right out of the gate is it?

Then you have the as of yet part that goes "I've been calling audibles at the LOS for eleven years.  How long have you been calling play Matt, a year"?  Can't say that all of it doesn't tickle me to death though.

I'm hoping for a play call that comes in on 3rd down with only seconds remaining in the half to run a draw play so we can watch Rodgers tell LaFleur to GFY like Cutler did with Martz.  I'll be in tears.

I love it.  I hope they hate each other.  Good for us. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Funny thing is Rodgers is right.  But why, why, why, make this argument in the media after OTAs?

This is something you hash out and discuss with your new coach in private shortly after he is hired. You get the playbook you go through it.  You learn play calling system and then you call coach and sit down together and go through it with your notes and opinions on minor tweaks and changes that fit you better.  He will respect you and probably agree with most everything you say.  Maybe his arguments are convincing to you and maybe yours to him.  Either way you get on same page.  

What a jag Rodgers is.

Just an opinion but I'd say it's coming from GB hiring a young inexperienced HC whose only a few years older than a future HOF QB and both are pissing on the same tree trying to mark their own territory.

Rodgers seems to be the one making it more public than it should be and if it's not settled who actually runs that team will cause a division in the ranks sooner or later.  GB may feel LaFleur is the right HC but is he the right HC for Aaron Rodgers?

Seems to me LaFleur has designs on a scheme more like Nagy's based on movement and pre-snap deception and reads when Rodgers has spent 11 years running McCarthy's WCO nearly to perfection.  This may not be a good fit at all.

7 minutes ago, soulman said:

Just an opinion but I'd say it's coming from GB hiring a young inexperienced HC whose only a few years older than a future HOF QB and both are pissing on the same tree trying to mark their own territory.

Rodgers seems to be the one making it more public than it should be and if it's not settled who actually runs that team will cause a division in the ranks sooner or later.  GB may feel LaFleur is the right HC but is he the right HC for Aaron Rodgers?

Seems to me LaFleur has designs on a scheme more like Nagy's based on movement and pre-snap deception and reads when Rodgers has spent 11 years running McCarthy's WCO nearly to perfection.  This may not be a good fit at all.

Coaches coach what they know.  LaFleur is a young coach who has learned one scheme and is teaching what he knows.  Rodgers should get that.  He isn't Belichick who is an old coach who knows like 10 different schemes and is adaptable on the fly.  

Nagy can't properly run another scheme other than the one he knows either.  Over time he will be able to, but not now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Coaches coach what they know.  LaFleur is a young coach who has learned one scheme and is teaching what he knows.  Rodgers should get that.  He isn't Belichick who is an old coach who knows like 10 different schemes and is adaptable on the fly.  

Nagy can't properly run another scheme other than the one he knows either.  Over time he will be able to, but not now.

Exactly but where Mitch is clay to be molded into his schemes Rodgers will feel he's like a permanent statue to his greatness as a QB.

There may also be more than a bit of insecurity on his part about how well LaFleurs scheme fits him.  He's very personal stats conscious and he may be able to accept losing games far less if his stats also take a hit.  Can't mess up that path to a gold jacket.

1 minute ago, soulman said:

Exactly but where Mitch is clay to be molded into his schemes Rodgers will feel he's like a permanent statue to his greatness as a QB.

There may also be more than a bit of insecurity on his part about how well LaFleurs scheme fits him.  He's very personal stats conscious and he may be able to accept losing games far less if his stats also take a hit.  Can't mess up that path to a gold jacket.

Rodgers is right.  If he can recognize the defense (which he can) he can check to a better play.  A coverage beater or a run based off numbers (note I bet he rarely does second which is part of problem).  

LaFluer has that baked in by calling two plays giving QB a choice of two.  But Rodgers (rightfully) wants to be able to pick ideal play since he is capable, not between two like you would with a young QB.

LaFluer has been taught to do it this way by his mentor and now has to adapt.  Not like it can't be done, its just a more complex audible system that has to be implemented, but for Rodgers to go public with the complaint is infinitely stupid.

I mean you wouldn't ask Peyton Manning not to audible.  Like asking him not to breathe.  Fox was smart enough to let Peyton do his thing.  But he is an old coach.

Rodgers needs to meet a 39 year coach half way and not be an arrogant butt munch.