Jump to content
RamsFan24

RamFan24 First Mock Offseason

Recommended Posts

What's going on Rams Nation, It been a great ride this season where we came up a little short at the end. Now it's time to continue to build another Super Bowl Contender. In this offseason I am going to be a little aggressive like I feel our Front Office might be.
 
Cut-
ILB Mark Barron
 
I have been a huge fan of Mark over the years, but it's just time for a change. We need a real run stopper in the middle next to Littleton.
 
Re-sign
 
Edge Dante Fowler Jr
OG Rodger Saffold
ILB Bryce Hager
S Blake Countess
ILB Cory Littleton - Second Round RFA Tender
CB Dominique Hatfield - ERFA Tender
RS Jojo Natson - ERFA Tender
DL Morgan Fox - ERFA Tender
CB Kevin Peterson - ERFA Tender
WR KhaDarel Hodge - ERFA Tender
 
In this scenario the Rams are able to come to an agreement on two very fair and reasonable deals for Dante and Roger. With Whitworth coming back for one more run, this gives us the same starters once again on offense. We decide to let Joyner, Suh and Shields go in order to take advantage of the  free agency opportunities.
 
Signing
 
ILB Anthony Barr
 
The Rams grab their new run stuffing veteran in Barr that we have we lacking with Barron. Barr is a nice pick up because Wade can move him around and also have him rush the passer. We can utilize his strengths as a strong tackler, block shedder and strong pass rusher. Anthony won't have to worry about pass coverage much as Littleton is actually really good in pass coverage last season. Barr come back home to help add to an already very dangerous defense.
 
FS Tre Boston
 
Tre opened the Rams eyes very good this past season with Arizona as he was lighting up Cooks on multiple plays. Tre feels in perfectly in Joyner's spot as a playmaking free and deep safety. Boston gives Wade another sure handed play maker in the back field. We grab him so a great deal as everyone is focused on the Big Three Safties in Earl, Landon and Tyrann.  
 
CB Jason Verrett
 
The Rams grab another very good low profile baller in Jason Verrett. Jason has had a very good career and is only 28 years old still. Before his back to back injuries he was getting a name for himself as a shut down corner. The Rams grab him a cheap prove it deal where Jason has a chance to come back and try and get back to his pre injuries form. He will come in and compete for the nickel spot just like Sam did last season. If Verrett stays healthy and gets back to his old form, then we will already have another starter on the roster will Peters and Talib options come up next year.
 
QB Ryan Fitzpatrick
 
The Rams sign Ryan to a 1 year deal to be Goff's bag up and security blanket. Ryan has had a lot of starting experience in this league, he could be a good veteran to help Goff with. Now if Blake Bortles becomes a free agent, I would love to sign him to a cheap deal while his stock is so low right now.
 
Trade
Rams trade Round 1 Pick #31
Jaguars trade Round 2 Pick #6 and Round 3 Pick #5
 
The Jaguars trade up in front of the Giants in order to grab the player of a position of need.
 
Rams trade Round 3 Pick #5 and Round 3 Pick #37
Cowboys trade Round 2 Pick #26
 
Rams move up for a guy that they have been targeting. The Cowboys jump back in order to grab in other pick to try and feel in some gaps from their free agency losses.
 
 
NFL Draft
 
Round 2 Pick #6   Jeffrey Simmons-DT, Mississippi State
 
The Rams because of a bad break are able to brag a Top 15 talent at the top of the 2nd because of his injury. Jeffrey will most likely miss this season, or at least most of the season. But the Rams are in a position to grab an extremely talented stud and let him get healed similar to what the Cowboys did with Jaylon Smith. Simmons when ready will truly replace Suh and will give our defensive line an extremely dangerous look. Donald and Jeffrey in the middle will have head coaches having nightmares at night, lol. Wade Phillips can move Simmons all over the line to give us multiple looks.
 
Round 2 Pick #26   Oshane Ximines-Edge, Old Dominion
 
The Rams jump back into the 2nd to grab another defensive weapon for Wade Phillips. Now Wade will have another pass rush specialist opposite Fowler on pass rushing downs. Oshane has the intangibles to play multiple spots giving Wade another piece to his board. Oshane can learn the NFL spend behind Samson while he comes in as a rotational rush specialist. This draft is giving Wade his best young and talented group of talent. Wade is trying to create another Denver Broncos Super Bowl winning Defense.
 
 
Round 3 Pick #31   P.J. Johnson-NT, Arizona
 
P.J. will come in and take over the gap left by Suh at Nose Tackle. Johnson is a big run stuffer that also has an explosive couple steps and a good motor. He uses his body leverage very well and he shields block well. Playing next to AD and Brockers will help his adjustment to the NFL with most of the focus on the others. The future will look bright as our line for years to come will look like AD, Johnson and Simmons. P.J. is athletic enough to be moved all over the defensive line also.
 
Round 4 Pick #31   Ross Pierschbacher-C/G, Alabama
 
The Rams decide to grab another very talented offensive talent in this years draft. Now Ross can come in and learn behind Sullivan and compete with Brian Allen for the future starting spot. Ross is extremely talented, he is a very good run blocker and a good pass protector. Learning from the vets will serve him well.
 
Round 5 Pick #31   Rodney Anderson-RB, Oklahoma
 
The more and more film that I have watched on Rodney just gets me more and more excited. We grab another super talented playmaker that is only here this late in the draft possibly because of his injury history. If Anderson can stay healthy he would give McVay a very nice little rotational weapon whenever Todd needs a breather. This kid can be another nice running and pass catching weapon for us.
 
Round 6 Pick #31   Brett Rypien-QB, Boise State
 
The Rams take a flyer on a developmental QB late in the draft. Brett has an NFL Blood line and some nice intangibles in order for Sean to try and develop.
 
Projected Starters
QB: Jared Goff
HB: Todd Gurley
XWR: Brandin Cooks
ZWR: Robert Woods
SLWR: Cooper Kupp
TE: Tyler Higbee / Gerald Everett
LT: Andrew Whitworth
LG: Rodger Saffold
C: John Sullivan
RG: Austin Blythe
RT: Rob Havenstein
 
5T: Michael Brockers
NT: P.J. Johnson
3T: Aaron Donald
WOLB: Dante Fowler Jr.
Mo LB: Cory Littleton
Mike LB: Anthony Barr
SOLB: Samson Ebukam
RCB: Aqib Talib
LCB: Marcus Peters
SLCB: Nickell Robey-Coleman / Jason Verrett
FS: Tre Boston
SS: John Johnson
 
K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide
 
 

 
 
Edited by RamsFan24

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's an interesting mock. Verrett is a guy I strongly considered. I love his game when he's healthy. I ultimately didn't put him in mine because I thought he might want to go somewhere with an easier path to PT. I love the Simmons pick. Fitzpatrick is an interesting signing if he's relatively cheap. On the down side, the Jaguars aren't giving us that much to trade up. The draft value chart indicates we could expect something more along the lines of a 2nd and a 4th. I also don't think Barr or Boston fit. Barr wants to be paid like a pass rusher ($10+ million per year). We're not going to pay him that to be an ILB. Boston doesn't fit our scheme well imo. He's more of a zone FS. Wade likes versatile safeties who can play either role (FS and SS).

Edited by jrry32

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

It's an interesting mock. Verrett is a guy I strongly considered. I love his game when he's healthy. I ultimately didn't put him in mine because I thought he might want to go somewhere with an easier path to PT. I love the Simmons pick. Fitzpatrick is an interesting signing if he's relatively cheap. On the down side, the Jaguars aren't giving us that much to trade up. The draft value chart indicates we could expect something more along the lines of a 2nd and a 4th. I also don't think Barr or Boston fit. Barr wants to be paid like a pass rusher ($10+ million per year). We're not going to pay him that to be an ILB. Boston doesn't fit our scheme well imo. He's more of a zone FS. Wade likes versatile safeties who can play either role (FS and SS).

Hey Jrry32 thanks for the response man. I feel the same way about Verrett. But because he see an opportunity to heal completely and compete on Another really good Defense with a great coach would sway him toward us. 

For the Fitzpatrick signing, we just need a solid veteran to bag up Goff. Some one who can manage a couple games to possibly help us win if need be. 

As for the Jaguars trade, Snead and company have worked some magic trades in the past. I'm sorry but chart and all, I'm not giving up a First Round, late and all to drop 6 picks back in the 2nd (7 total) for a measly 4th Rounder. In this scenario I would rather stay at 31 and draft my favorite person in the draft for us in Devin Bush, which you will see a lot mocked from me coming up, lol. I just feel that a 3rd to get a couple teams in front of you with the same need is worth 1 pick in the next round, to me anyway. 

Now for Barr and Boston, I'm not truly in love with either one. But I do feel that some how we will grab someone of a big name this years and probably a couple under the radar picks. So I chose 2 ppl that kind of fit. Barr would do wonders for our run game, but if he is asking for Edge Money forreal than that's a serious past. I'm shocked he is demanding that amount especially after he was badly exposed this year in past Coverage, that is a huge knock. Now I do like Tre Boston, I know he is just a deep safety but man he can lay the wood like Joyner. Have really good range, great hands and instincts. So I just thought having a true Coverage safety would allow Johnson to just play his position. Now I would love if we some how signer the Honey Badger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The one thing I don't love about it is 3 of the guys we are getting (Simmons, Verrett, and Anderson) have varying degrees of injury concerns. 

I'd really like Barr if the money makes sense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey man, appreciate it, I totally understand your concern. But sometimes the risk us just worth it. With Simmons we dedicated a 2nd Rounder to a Top 15 Talent. That pick alone should end up being a steal for us. 

Now with the Anderson pick as well as Verrett are both just a place for us if they are healthy. Verrett would only be a 3rd our 4th stringer starting off. While If Anderson went down again or wasn't right than we still have Kelly and Davis. I just feel that each of these 3 picks would give us great depth and versatility going forward. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW it is PJ Johnson (btfd16 = bear tf down class of 16) and he is no more than a round 6 pick IMO

Edited by btfd16

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RamsFan24 said:

Hey Jrry32 thanks for the response man. I feel the same way about Verrett. But because he see an opportunity to heal completely and compete on Another really good Defense with a great coach would sway him toward us. 

For the Fitzpatrick signing, we just need a solid veteran to bag up Goff. Some one who can manage a couple games to possibly help us win if need be. 

As for the Jaguars trade, Snead and company have worked some magic trades in the past. I'm sorry but chart and all, I'm not giving up a First Round, late and all to drop 6 picks back in the 2nd (7 total) for a measly 4th Rounder. In this scenario I would rather stay at 31 and draft my favorite person in the draft for us in Devin Bush, which you will see a lot mocked from me coming up, lol. I just feel that a 3rd to get a couple teams in front of you with the same need is worth 1 pick in the next round, to me anyway. 

Now for Barr and Boston, I'm not truly in love with either one. But I do feel that some how we will grab someone of a big name this years and probably a couple under the radar picks. So I chose 2 ppl that kind of fit. Barr would do wonders for our run game, but if he is asking for Edge Money forreal than that's a serious past. I'm shocked he is demanding that amount especially after he was badly exposed this year in past Coverage, that is a huge knock. Now I do like Tre Boston, I know he is just a deep safety but man he can lay the wood like Joyner. Have really good range, great hands and instincts. So I just thought having a true Coverage safety would allow Johnson to just play his position. Now I would love if we some how signer the Honey Badger.

I think so too, but I think we'll likely go after some big name guys who were cut. I think Snead is going to want some comp picks for Suh, Joyner, and Fowler Jr.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I think so too, but I think we'll likely go after some big name guys who were cut. I think Snead is going to want some comp picks for Suh, Joyner, and Fowler Jr.

Not directing this at you, but do we have an idea or can come up with a list of what big names we think may be cut?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, btfd16 said:

FWIW it is PJ Johnson (btfd16 = bear tf down class of 16) and he is no more than a round 6 pick IMO

Ok thanks, but his rankings are 3-5 range. But no worries, I like the pick though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Thank you. This is great.

I like Dontari Poe or Marcell Dareus to replace Suh.

Justin Houston, Vic Beasley, or tag Fowler would be nice.

I'd throw a 1year prove it deal on Jonathan Cyprien coming off an injury.

 

I feel like we will be a FA destination and Rams will have another offseason of big name and being active while Goff is still on rookie deal. Once Goff signs an extension, we will be much less active. But for now, bring on the talent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BStanRamFan said:

Thank you. This is great.

I like Dontari Poe or Marcell Dareus to replace Suh.

Justin Houston, Vic Beasley, or tag Fowler would be nice.

I'd throw a 1year prove it deal on Jonathan Cyprien coming off an injury.

 

I feel like we will be a FA destination and Rams will have another offseason of big name and being active while Goff is still on rookie deal. Once Goff signs an extension, we will be much less active. But for now, bring on the talent.

I like Poe and Dareus too. Unfortunately, it looks like the Jags might keep Dareus right now. Malik Jackson is almost certainly being released. Fowler on the tag is just too expensive. Last I saw, that was between $15 million and $17 million. You do that for DeMarcus Lawrence or Frank Clark, but Fowler Jr. is averaging 5 sacks per year when healthy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, RamsFan24 said:

Ok thanks, but his rankings are 3-5 range. But no worries, I like the pick though. 

That's wild! I don't doubt you but man I never really saw him be effective to the point i thought "damn that's a day 2 pick". Maybe it is because he was the only good player on our D minus Colin Schooler. We shall see!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I like Poe and Dareus too. Unfortunately, it looks like the Jags might keep Dareus right now. Malik Jackson is almost certainly being released. Fowler on the tag is just too expensive. Last I saw, that was between $15 million and $17 million. You do that for DeMarcus Lawrence or Frank Clark, but Fowler Jr. is averaging 5 sacks per year when healthy.

In general, I agree with this statement, but it doesn't consider the details and circumstances surrounding Fowler's presence on our team.

 

Including playoffs, Fowler had 3.5 sacks in 11 games as a Ram. He also had 4 TFL in the playoffs. He really started to come on later in the season and into the playoffs showing his grasp of defense, understanding which gaps will open and when to attack playing off of Donald and Suh.  Also, he cost us 3rd and a 5th round pick for a 1st round talent. I think if we can't give him a 1 year prove it type deal, we should tag him. I realize I'm in the minority on this forum for that take, but I see tremendous potential in Fowler as the pass rusher we've been looking for and as his time with the Rams went on, he proved how disruptive of a playmaker he can be on this defense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×