S Landon Collins to be signed by Washington

Acgott

Just really blows my mind with this decision to let him walk. The one thing i thought that would've been set in stone was to resign Landon to a deal. I really have no clue what Gettleman has up his sleeve. You don't just replace 3 time pro bowl Strong Safeties that easy. I really wonder where he's placing cap money and other priorities after this. 

1 hour ago, Giants4eva said:

Just really blows my mind with this decision to let him walk. The one thing i thought that would've been set in stone was to resign Landon to a deal. I really have no clue what Gettleman has up his sleeve. You don't just replace 3 time pro bowl Strong Safeties that easy. I really wonder where he's placing cap money and other priorities after this. 

I sucks because I love Landon. But the truth is an injury prone Safety that has trouble in the passing game is not worth 10m+ in this league. "Strong Safety's" are not only devalued, but they don't even exist anymore. Both Safety's need to be good pass defenders. Run defense is secondary for both.

After a day or 2 of sitting on it, i guess we wont be too bad off searching for a veteran in free agency to replace Collins. He wont be the caliber of him obviously but man the amount of safeties that are on the market is insane right now. Earl Thomas, Tyrann Mathieu, Darian Stewart, Eric Weddle just to name a few. 

Does switching to the 34 have anything to do with not retaining him?  I haven't studied up on it but it would seem like that system would need a more coverage style safety because of all the linebackers on the field.

55 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

Does switching to the 34 have anything to do with not retaining him?  I haven't studied up on it but it would seem like that system would need a more coverage style safety because of all the linebackers on the field.

No, as you know a 3-4 stand for 3 DL and 4 LB. It could be the scheme wants 2 cover safeties, but not a 4-3/3-4 difference. The only difference is an extra LB vs DL

1 minute ago, Acgott said:

No, as you know a 3-4 stand for 3 DL and 4 LB. It could be the scheme wants 2 cover safeties, but not a 4-3/3-4 difference. The only difference is an extra LB vs DL

Thats what I'm saying is they are looking for better cover safeties because of the new scheme.  Not really needing an in the box safety.

10 hours ago, YogiBiz said:

I can’t wait for someone to pay him like a top 5 safety, and realize he’s an inside Linebacker. 

Please, you can say a lot about his coverage ability, but he certainly not a LB. He is a good safety.

45 guaranteed. Insane. Good for him though; he gets paid and gets to wear #21 for Washington like his idol. Now I see why Gettleman didn't bother tagging him though. We would not and should not have matched that price. That's a solid 3rd round compensatory pick too.

5 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

45 guaranteed. Insane. Good for him though; he gets paid and gets to wear #21 for Washington like his idol. Now I see why Gettleman didn't bother tagging him though. We would not and should not have matched that price. That's a solid 3rd round compensatory pick too.

He ain’t wearing 21.

Archived