BDL Owners Meeting 2019

TedLavie

1 minute ago, Whicker said:

I'm doing nothing Sunday. Sunday I will carefully go through my thought process on why this will not happen. I will link to games and everything

Honestly, I don't think you will have quantifiable data as you won't have a comparison group. You can hypothesize, but it won't determine what the true outcome will be by removing two spots. Teams that see they are out of contention will continue to trade off their FA pieces before trade deadline and you will still see a productive outline. You will see the current 7th and 8th team in playoffs trying hard to get into that 6 seed positon so there will be more drama near the end.

2 minutes ago, Whicker said:

Interesting I never thought of realigning into conferences.

My vision was keep the divisions, the top in each division go. If 6 (or 5) teams is the play, then we would add wildcards to account for the Louisianas of the world that just happened to not win their division (with a bye for the top X seeds as necessary)

Yes, decreasing the amount of playoff teams will promote better end of season and playoff games IMO.

If only 6 teams go in that would mean only conference winners will make it in based on our current alignment as there would be no wild card. Wild card only exists at as there is one additional team than conference.

Just now, Ragnarok said:

You realize how furious/heartbroken I will be if we adopt this and I finish 7th?

Yes.

I'd argue that people being furious over missing the playoffs is a damn good thing. If you finish seventh and want to make the playoffs? Improve your team. Gameplan better.

Let me say this again. If we had six playoff teams this year and Hawaii missed and was like "awww damn I missed the playoffs but hey if I don't make that lineup mistake week 1, I'd be in the playoffs and maybe I'd win a championship!" Would that really be a bad thing? Was Hawaii's victory the only victory that wouldn't have been some kind of undeserving mess? I don't think so. I think things would have been just fine.

Just now, Whicker said:

Yes.

I'd argue that people being furious over missing the playoffs is a damn good thing. If you finish seventh and want to make the playoffs? Improve your team. Gameplan better.

Let me say this again. If we had six playoff teams this year and Hawaii missed and was like "awww damn I missed the playoffs but hey if I don't make that lineup mistake week 1, I'd be in the playoffs and maybe I'd win a championship!" Would that really be a bad thing? Was Hawaii's victory the only victory that wouldn't have been some kind of undeserving mess? I don't think so. I think things would have been just fine.

I'm furious every year I miss the playoffs.  I don't think game planning is my issue, it's more my QB sucking and guys getting hurt.  

I guess I don't see what this would change aside from having teams eliminated earlier which could lead to less activity.  

Yeah, you could try to take a missed write up into account like in your example, but the VAST majority of missed write ups are due to 1. last minute RL issues which I don't necessary want to penalize people for more than it already does and 2. they're already out of the playoffs.  

7 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I'm furious every year I miss the playoffs.  I don't think game planning is my issue, it's more my QB sucking and guys getting hurt.  

I guess I don't see what this would change aside from having teams eliminated earlier which could lead to less activity.  

Yeah, you could try to take a missed write up into account like in your example, but the VAST majority of missed write ups are due to 1. last minute RL issues which I don't necessary want to penalize people for more than it already does and 2. they're already out of the playoffs.  

Eh. I think it will be about the same save increased effort by borderline teams.

2 minutes ago, PR said:

Eh. I think it will be about the same save increased effort by borderline teams.

I understand.  You and Whicker think this would create increased effort by those teams on the bubble as there are fewer spots and the same effort by teams eliminated as always.  Net gain.

I am worried that we would see the same effort as always by teams on the bubble and less effort from those teams eliminated earlier than ever.  Net loss.

11 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I understand.  You and Whicker think this would create increased effort by those teams on the bubble as there are fewer spots and the same effort by teams eliminated as always.  Net gain.

I am worried that we would see the same effort as always by teams on the bubble and less effort from those teams eliminated earlier than ever.  Net loss.

It is one of those things that we won't be able to project without a trial run similar PFA Draft. Just a question of if we are willing to give it a go.

1 hour ago, Whicker said:

Lol?

What the hell. The NFL has 6 playoff teams per 16 teams. We have 8 playoff teams per 16 teams. I am arguing for fewer teams.

I'm being trolled

Maybe I'm confused.  I thought you were advocating for 4

1 minute ago, bcb1213 said:

Maybe I'm confused.  I thought you were advocating for 4

He never did quite put that detail in. He is thinking in big picture versus details. See other thread.

1 hour ago, Whicker said:

Yes.

Or he could just get pissed and quit.   You can't assume people's motivations and outcomes 

1 minute ago, bcb1213 said:

Then the question if we reduce.  Is it the best six records or do division wins matter 

That is pretty much where we are at. I think in a 6 it is better to do the NBA format of E vs W. Top 3 go in.

2 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

Or he could just get pissed and quit.   You can't assume people's motivations and outcomes 

I mean... okay.

First off this could hold true regardless of how many teams we have unless we just include everybody.

Second, if someone did this then good riddance.

Third, is this really what we're going for?

7 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

We may be arguing for fruitless reasons.  I believe most are willing to give six a shot.  Is that what you're going for Whicker?  Or is it 4

I am going for the reduction of the number of playoff teams.

My ideal number is 4, yes. But I am arguing for 5, 6, and 7 as well.

Archived