Donovan Smith resigned: 3 years $41.25M ($27M guaranteed)

bucsfan333

42 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

This is a woeful signing. Just awful.

It's really not though, especially when you look at the replacement options that were out there in FA and the draft. It's pretty bare for plug and play LTs...

Plus, it's essentially a 2 year deal and them we can move on if we need. I'd rather overpay for 2 years, than be left high and dry or tied long term...

41 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

It's really not though, especially when you look at the replacement options that were out there in FA and the draft. It's pretty bare for plug and play LTs...

Plus, it's essentially a 2 year deal and them we can move on if we need. I'd rather overpay for 2 years, than be left high and dry or tied long term...

nope

I agree with @TheKillerNacho

woeful/awful

we need to adopt the PatriotWay, let good players go rather than overpay them

a cheaper replacement would play only slightly worse , its cost vs benefit analysis

you even haveDEs in the division praising us for resigning him so they can keep destroying him on the field , anyone see Cam Jordan's tweet?

41 minutes ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

nope

woeful/awful

a cheaper replacement would play only slightly worse , its cost vs benefit analysis

If only it were that easy lol. There is a reason it's called the Patriot way. It's not like other teams haven't tried to copy this before and results have been mixed at best...

I wasn't a fan of extending Smith longterm and I made that clear in this thread prior to the extension. However, once I saw the details of the extension it makes sense. Awful is exaggeration IMO. It's not great deal, but it's far from awful.  Especially if you look at the landscape for potential replacement LTs...

LT is not a spot where you can just plug anyone with a righthanded QB with somewhat limited mobility. Even the Pat's recognize this. Difference with them is they're great at identifying guys that fit their system and have the coaching to get their best...

Ok. Say we let D Smith go. Who's his replacement? We can't afford any of the OTs who are about to hit free agency. If we want a Jawaan Taylor or Jonah Williams, we're taking him at five. Then we're hoping he turns into Joe Thomas while trotting out the same defense as last year.

Our options were limited. I get the idea of letting average-at-best guys walk instead of overpaying. But we aren't in a position where we can just do that. Hell. We've done it before with Michael Bennett and Donald Penn and Aqib Talib and Darrell Revis and... Y'all get the point.

1 minute ago, kgarrett12486 said:

If only it were that easy lol. There is a reason it's called the Patriot way. It's not like other teams haven't tried to copy this before and results have been mixed at best...

I wasn't a fan of extending Smith longterm and I made that clear in this thread prior to the extension. However, once I saw the details of the extension it makes sense. Awful is exaggeration IMO. It's not great deal, but it's far from awful.  Especially if you look at the landscape for potential replacement LTs...

LT is not a spot where you can just plug anyone with a righthanded QB with somewhat limited mobility. Even the Pat's recognize this. Difference with them is they're great at identifying guys that fit their system and have the coaching to get their best...

deal = not awful

player = awful-to sub par

all I'm saying is the difference between a 1st or 2nd round rookie and Don Smith isn't all that far off

not to mention Winston has above average , I would go as far as to say top10 mobility/escapability so the need for superior pass protection isn't great, considering Winston does his best work under pressure

3 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

It also helps that New England has the best oline coach in football. Maybe of all time. They plug and play guys every year and consistently have one of the best lines in the league. Scar is the only consistent piece of that puzzle.

1 minute ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

all I'm saying is the difference between a 1st or 2nd round rookie and Don Smith isn't all that far off

So we're gonna ignore this potentially all time great defensive class to draft oline and hope whoever he is becomes above average or better?

11 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

So we're gonna ignore this potentially all time great defensive class to draft oline and hope whoever he is becomes above average or better?

Bingo. Why create yet another hole to fill in the draft and then have to potentially settle on a lesser player at #5...

14 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

14 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

whats to say we cant trade down from 5 to like idk middle of the round , recoup a 2nd or maybe an extra 1st! and grab someone like Ferrell and Risnor

or Jawaan Taylor and Devin Bush

idk

why are yall crucifying me lol

its not "another" hole it IS a hole, that we may fill anyway

19 minutes ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

deal = not awful

player = awful-to sub par

Smith has been a league average tackle through 4 years...

Also, remember that he's just now 26 and just entering what most athletes prime years are (ages 25-30). So it's not like he's an old dog that can't improve with a new system and coaching...

It may not happen, but we'll find out...

4 minutes ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

whats to say we cant trade down from 5 to like idk middle of the round , recoup a 2nd or maybe an extra 1st! and grab someone like Ferrell and Risnor

idk

You could do that. But there is no gaurantee those guys would still be on the board. Then you're really hamstrung...

Also, if you're moving back your then missing out on potential defensive star that could slip to us at 5...

5 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

You could do that. But there is no gaurantee those guys would still be on the board. Then you're really hamstrung...

Also, if you're moving back your then missing out on potential defensive star that could slip to us at 5...

youre absolutely right

all I'm saying is :

Don Smith is here

his replacement is here

whoever it is lol the fall off isn't huge, its not that big of a hole because we've all been used to Don Smith level of play as is it is haha

I think we might trade down as it is

unless someone trades up for a QB, we might lose out on the big 3 and at that point , I want more picks

16 minutes ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

idk

Not crucifying. Just debating.

LT isn't a hole we HAVE to fill now. If we went into the draft with Benenoch as the leading candidate to start at LT, then there'd be a hole. And other teams would know that.

Taylor is likely a top 10 pick. That's a premium position.

5 minutes ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

I think we might trade down as it is

unless someone trades up for a QB, we might lose out on the big 3 and at that point , I want more picks

I think we're in same boat then, I'm all for moving back and getting more if Williams, Bosa and Allen aren't sitting there...

4 hours ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

nope

woeful/awful

you even haveDEs in the division praising us for resigning him so they can keep destroying him on the field , anyone see Cam Jordan's tweet?

I 100% agree. If I was the GM, I’d let Don Smith go and try to get his replacement elsewhere. Maybe nothing at pick 5 looks good, but your telling me NONE of these rookie LTs will be as good as a middle of the road at BEST tackle? Little, Williams, Adams, the kid from WVU? I know we have a load of needs but we can stack draft capitol and take care of them. While acquiring a comp pick for 2020 by letting go Smith.

Archived