LBC's First Take at a 2019 Mock Draft

Dr LBC

I made clear a while ago that I won't be projecting a trade back in the 1st for us (some for originality, some for the fact that my gut tells me we're more likely to use our 2020 2nd to move up in the 1st if the right EDGE guy falls than back).  I'm also going to hold off on going in-depth on FA for right now and only project which particular spots on the depth chart I think are addressed via FA versus left to be addressed in the draft.

FA: Starting NT, Starting MIKE (SILB; Littleton plays the JACK), reserve IOL (I'm kind of figuring this will get a similar treatment to our signings of Ramik Wilson and Sam Shields last season, not someone whose going to blow anyone's skirt up, but an experienced vet who can fill a role - think tire-kicking on the likes of Shawn Lauvao or Chance Warmack - he's not what he was hyped to be, but he can do a job).

1 (31): Chase Winovich, EDGE, Michigan

Winovich is a Wade Phillips type of player, plain and simple.  Wade tends to hone in on linebackers who are either athletic as hell or gritty, chews-glass produces in spite of lacking elite athleticism guys.  This is a case of the later, which would be a bit reminiscent of when the Broncos spent a similar-numbered pick on Shane Ray.  He's also got that mindset that we've really appeared to covet in the Front 7 - rabid, physical play that sometimes borders on being a shade too physical.  This may or may not sit well with Jrry, since I know that Chase is one of his guys, but I actually wouldn't be surprised to see this pick made with Polite still on the board.  I could also see this being Jaylon Ferguson for similar reasons - as well as the fact that when the reigning FBS sack leader is in the draft class, he tends to get selected in the 1st round - barring medical issues.

Ceiling (not likely, but possible): Ryan Kerrigan; Floor: Connor Barwin

3 (94): Michael Deiter, OL, Wisconsin

Admittedly, this one is a bit of a stretch in terms of him falling.  We've seen stranger things happen, but I feel like certain guys (McCoy, Bradbury, McGary, Lindstrom, and McGovern) have done more to elevate their hype coming off the back of the season that there's a possibility he just might slide to here.  if he does, I'd be all over him.  3-4 position eligibility and there's a really notable similarity between Wisconsin's blocking scheme and Kromer's.  Dieter can slot into either Saffold's spot, or Blythe's if Blythe kicks inside to center.

3 (99) --> Traded to NYG for 4 (108) and 5 (171)

These kind of mid-round trade-backs are Les' calling card.  Perhaps it's take a little less value than we'd necessarily prefer, but this also gives Les the ammo to move around as he likes to do.

4 (108): Sean Bunting, S, Central Michigan

Yes, I see Bunting as more of a safety than a corner at the next level.  That's not a bad thing.  Has a lot of the same traits (and is getting a lot of the same criticisms) that John Johnson got coming out.  And I believe he complements Johnson really well, too.  Bunting's range in the deep-third is really what draws me to him and his pairing with Johnson.  He's versatile enough to play either safety spot (some added weight permitting) but he fits best, early on, as the guy who is shaded to help protect CB's in zone and as someone who can come down into the flat to keep slot-receivers in his hip-pocket when needed.

4 (133): Daylon Mack, DT, Texas A&M

I'll openly own that Khalen Saunders is one "my guys," but I just can't see him falling this far, and ultimately I prioritized Bunting over DT.  So I moved on to a similar prospected to Saunders here.  He's neither a traditional 0-Tech or 5-Tech, but he reminds me a lot of a guy who had a lot of success playing both spots in a Phillips-Burrough's scheme in the past: Antonio Garay.  320-pound guys are not supposed to be this naturally quick.  He's really explosive - and needs to develop his rush-repertoire, but Donald provides a really good mentor in that respect - and he can contribute against the run early on while rotating with JFM.

5 (169): Corey Ballentine, CB, Washburn

90% of you are sitting there saying, "Who?"  I don't blame you.  Most people probably don't even know that Washburn is a university, let alone has a football program.  But Ballentine is a legit NFL prospect as a zone-corner capable of playing inside-out and he's the kind of special teams beast (his knack for getting in the backfield and blocking kicks will have Bones drooling; he's also an experienced returner) who still has room to grow technically.  Loose hips, very good COD and flip/plant-and-go abilities.  Honestly, there are shades of a proportionately smaller Aqib Talib (5'11", 196 lbs w/ 31 5/8" arms versus 6'1 3/4", 202 lbs w/ 33" arms).

5 (171): Benny Snell Jr., RB, Kentucky

If anything is going to sell John Kelly up the river it's his pass-blocking.  Normally, I wouldn't sweat it as much and figure he has the time still to hone it, but with the arthritic knee diagnosis for Gurley, we're clearly going to want someone to ease the load more regularly on him without broadcasting the opposition that we're far more likely to run than pass.  I actually have CJ Anderson as a fair comp for Benny Snell, so this is a fair trade-off for me.  And Snell comes in as a very capable pass-blocker.  I know that jrry dreams of us pulling the trigger earlier on on David Montgomery for this role, I'm in a similar boat (if a round later with regard to Darrell Henderson), but I'm just not sure I can see the team pulling that trigger that early.

6 (203): Emeke Egbule, LB, Houston

Continuing the tradition of drafting players with names who will give announcers fits!  Egbule is raw, to the point that i'm not sure I've even figured out exactly where in the LB corp he plays: He has some EDGE traits, some MIKE traits, some JACK traits, and if his instincts stay fairly base-average that may end up making the decision for him.  But to me, he's a more raw version of Okoronkwo - which gives us, between the two of them, Littleton insurance - against injury and not being able to get a long-term deal done.  And like Littleton early on, he's going to be able to contribute on ST's immediately.

7 (251): Keelan Doss, WR, UC Davis

Doss is going to come across to a lot of folks as JAG.  He's not going to blow any doors off on the track or in terms of YAC, but the guy just has a knack for getting separation with crisp routes and plucking the ball out of the air.  Zierlein's Geronimo Allison comp is pretty spot on, but he plays smarter than Allison does IMO.  His ceiling isn't fantastic, but his floor is rock solid; I wouldn't see any way in which he didn't push Mike Thomas right out of his roster spot, and gives us a capable "big slot" insurance policy against any future Kupp setbacks or injuries.  I know some would like to see us go WR earlier, but with the recent contract commitment to Cooks, Kupp coming back from injury, Woods still being around for at least one more season, and Reynolds not falling on his face in relief of Kupp, I don't see us pursuing a WR4/5 any sooner than mid-to-late Day 3.

Not a huge Benny Snell fan. The comparison to CJ is interesting. I don't see any burst with Snell which CJ doesn't have much either so maybe he'd be a good back here. 

I don't think 31 is a reach for Winovich and can seem them going that direction. I definitely think unless he has something show up on medical exams that he is going top 50. 

I live an hour from Washburn and didn't know they had a football program lol. 

The thing I don't love about this is the safety. Would you feel good about starting Bunting? 

30 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

Not a huge Benny Snell fan. The comparison to CJ is interesting. I don't see any burst with Snell which CJ doesn't have much either so maybe he'd be a good back here. 

I don't think 31 is a reach for Winovich and can seem them going that direction. I definitely think unless he has something show up on medical exams that he is going top 50. 

I live an hour from Washburn and didn't know they had a football program lol. 

The thing I don't love about this is the safety. Would you feel good about starting Bunting? 

I wouldn't feel terrible about it.  I feel like Christian's going to get at least a shot at winning the job.  And, if we're being honest, safety is one of those positions that - because the APY that most of the journeymen command - is almost always left with some usable guys floating around the free agent pool come training camp time or even August.  I'm figuring that Countess gets brought back as well.  Bunting has some Marcus Gilchrist in him, which I realize doesn't necessarily blow skirts up, but in the Phillips scheme (when Rivera and Manusky were calling the plays in San Diego) he was much more effective.

That feels SO early for Winovich. Despite all the puff pieces written about his combine, he is still mostly a high motor, effort guy. There are alot of High Potential EDGE guys who I think go in front of him. I actually like a lot about Chace, but he is a Day 2 guy for me, 

I love Winovich, but not in the first round. I also am a big fan of Bunting, but I don't see him as a safety. He is too soft against the run and doesn't have enough play strength. Mack is interesting. I agree that he's a stout and athletic guy. I also agree that he's a bit frustrating because of his lack of pass rush polish. I haven't seen enough of the others to comment.

Archived