Comps

LoganF89

18 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Fellas, who has been the gold standard since the 2000s?

The Pats.

See what they do each year? 

They sign guys for not too much $. The ones that are gonna break the bank they let walk. Then they pocket the comp picks for them. 

Right now, they have 2x 3rd rounders and a 6th.

This is how they keep the cupboard stocked and also allows them to move up to grab a guy if they need to.

While true, we all know why they win. They win bc they have Brady & Belichick

30 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

While true, we all know why they win. They win bc they have Belichick

FTFY.

Belichick wins without Brady. And one reason why he wins is that he doesn't have to completely rebuild every 3 years. He just reloads and next man up. And this comp pick strategy is a big key to it. Take a look at the comps that they have gotten in the last 10 years.

Year - Round(s)

2019 - 3,3,6,7

2018 - 4, 4

2017 - 5 (a light year - but they had draft capital from previous years and traded for CLE's 3rd)

2016 - 3, 6, 6, 6

2015 - 3, 7

2014 - 4

2011, 2012, 2013 - NONE (This is rare, but I believe it was because of them signing more than they lost)

2010 - 6,7,7,7

2009 - 3,5,6

2008 - NONE

2007 - 5,6,6,7

2006 - 6,6

I stopped here, but you can keep going if you'd like.

So you see that they have been using it pretty regularly to restock the team and doing so with younger and cheaper talent. They ramped it up very much so in the last 5-6 years given that we now have rookie slotting for contracts. Which makes the picks even more valuable. And now that they can trade them, add more value to it.

I believe New England and Baltimore are the two teams with the most draft picks over the past 10 or 20 years. Because they do what @Thaiphoon just described. By getting those young guys at cheap prices, they can lock in their studs for the long term and not be in cap hell.

Just now, MKnight82 said:

0 Super Bowls without Brady.  Just sayin.  

Small sample size.

It will be interesting what happens in New England in a couple of years. One of the two is going to retire.

Just now, Woz said:

Small sample size.

It will be interesting what happens in New England in a couple of years. One of the two is going to retire.

18 years is a small sample size? 

Anyways.  I agree about the comp pick stuff.  

4 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

0 Super Bowls without Brady.  Just sayin.  

Brady also has 0 SBs without Belichick.

Belichick also has a winning record at NE without Brady. And he also coached Cleveland (yes, the BROWNS) to an 11 win season. 

6 minutes ago, Woz said:

I believe New England and Baltimore are the two teams with the most draft picks over the past 10 or 20 years. Because they do what @Thaiphoon just described. By getting those young guys at cheap prices, they can lock in their studs for the long term and not be in cap hell.

And it's astronomical how many of those picks are 3rd and 4th rounders.

6 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

18 years is a small sample size? 

Anyways.  I agree about the comp pick stuff.  

Years Belichick had without Brady in New England is a small sample size (1 yr ... technically, Brady was on the roster for Belichick's first season but didn't see the field (okay, 3 attempts)).

To be fair, I forgot about his stint in Cleveland.

4 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yep. Belichick is arguably the most calculating head coach/talent evaluator in the NFL

6 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Well some of their cast offs get mega deals because they are coming off of the SB champs.  I call this Antwaan Randle El Syndrome.  

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

Well some of their cast offs get mega deals because they are coming off of the SB champs.  I call this Antwaan Randle El Syndrome.  

But even years like 2009 (when they hadn't won a SB in five years) netted them three picks (including a 3rd). 2010 got them four 6ths.

Can’t wait until Brady retires and I hope that Belichick keeps coaching. They luck boxed themselves into Brady. I don’t think Belichick wins a super bowl w/o Brady. Brady makes the key plays in the 4th quarters that put those teams in positon to win championships. 

Bledsoe didn’t do that and neither did Cassell and I don’t think they ever would have either.

People can believe what they want, but there’s only one guy who executes those plays at the end of games. That’s Brady

On 3/13/2019 at 4:00 PM, Thaiphoon said:

Brady also has 0 SBs without Belichick.

Belichick also has a winning record at NE without Brady. And he also coached Cleveland (yes, the BROWNS) to an 11 win season. 

It’s possible that the answer is both. Brady doesn’t win any w/o Belichick and Belichick doesn’t win any w/o Brady.

Although I’d disagree with that though, bc if Brady was quarterbacking the Steelers or Ravens the last 20 years he’d probably have at least 2 Super Bowls, if not more.

Swap out Ben/Kordell/Maddox for Brady and the Steelers have more Super Bowls imo, especially with the defense, running game and WRs they had last decade and the beginning of this decade.

Same with the Ravens. Brady running that offense instead of Dilfer, Grbac, Boller, McNair or Flacco and with that running game and Ray Lewis defense behind him, he would’ve won at least two Super Bowls also and in each case probably as many as he’s won in New England.

52 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

It’s possible that the answer is both. Brady doesn’t win any w/o Belichick and Belichick doesn’t win any w/o Brady.

Although I’d disagree with that though, bc if Brady was quarterbacking the Steelers or Ravens the last 20 years he’d probably have at least 2 Super Bowls, if not more.

Swap out Ben/Kordell/Maddox for Brady and the Steelers have more Super Bowls imo, especially with the defense, running game and WRs they had last decade and the beginning of this decade.

Same with the Ravens. Brady running that offense instead of Dilfer, Grbac, Boller, McNair or Flacco and with that running game and Ray Lewis defense behind him, he would’ve won at least two Super Bowls also and in each case probably as many as he’s won in New England.

Brady is playing in basically the same system for the same head coach.  Trying to extrapolate that out to be just as successful or moreso with another team isnt a 1:1 proposition. Many players benefit from the system they are in. And once they move, they are not as effective.

Archived