Jaguars sign LB Jake Ryan

Adrenaline_Flux

Average run stopper who lacks the athleticism to defend the pass, and that was before his second ACL last August.

Ryan is allergic to big plays like sacks, forced fumbles, and INTs, but he is likely will be a willing special teams player, so there's that.

As someone mentioned, Ryan doesn't make many splash plays, but he is very reliable and should be a nice addition.  While Telvin Smith and Myles Jack are legitimate big play threats, their overall play is sometimes inconsistent, particularly Jack, who appears completely lost for series at a time, and both struggled to make routine tackles last season.

And I see folks are already chiming in on Ryan's 'lack of athleticism';  so out of curiosity I took a look at his combine #s compared to Telvin Smith

Ryan --- 40- 4.6; 20- 2.7; Shuttle- 4.2; 3 cone- 7.1

Smith--- 40- 4.5; 20- 2.6; Shuttle- 4.5; 3 cone- 7.0

...and as expected, their numbers are pretty close, yet no one would ever say Telvin Smith 'lacks athleticism'....

And I don't know why people even bother to bring it up, but nearly all linebackers struggle in pass coverage, yet it always becomes a point of emphasis when talking about certain LBs...

Archived