Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Warhorse

Draft discussion

Recommended Posts

So the one position that gets picked sometimes higher than they are likely ranked at, is the QB position. I studied as many mock drafts as I thought were legit to a degree, and here is what I found. This is the number of QB's taken before our selection at #26...

 

PFF - 2

Draftsite - 4

TSN - 4

SBN - 3

NBC - 4

Draftwire - 3

Draftek - 3

Walters - 3

CBS - 3

NFL - 4

SI - 4

 

So the consensus is that at least 3 will be taken, and D Jones is the last one that might slip in before our pick. What my question is....what are the 13 picks (not counting qb's)  you truly feel will be gone before our pick ? I would like to add those 13 to the at least 3 QB's taken, and know that we would one of the 10 that remained. 

 

Just for fun......

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been thinking along these lines as well. But more to the point of how many players can get drafted in top 20-25 so a above avg defensive line talent falls to us.

 

I figure if: 3 QBs, 1 HB, 2 WRs, 2 TEs, and 3 OL get drafted that is already 11 offensive players drafted. Plus, I doubt now that we draft an EDGE round 1 so if Bosa, Burns, Gary and Sweat all get drafted that is 15.

But to answer your question

Nick Bosa, Kyler Murray, and Quinnen Williams all are locks to go Top 5

Josh Allen, Jawaan Taylor, Jonah Williams, Devin White, Rashan Gary, Ed Oliver and Dwayne Haskins are most likely Top 15 

TJ Hockenson and Noah Fant probably will be gone before we pick.

And Brian Burns to make 13

i also think DK Metcalf and potentially one more receiver will be gone as well as OT Andre Dillard and Drew Lock 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Listening to Stephen Holder’s podcast Horseshoes with Holder (Stampede Blue) he was talking about a discussion he had with Chris Ballard at the owner’s meeting. He touched on 2 interesting topics from the discussion. Talent in this draft and whether or not the Colts might consider carrying 3 QBs on the 53 man roster. 

Ballard told Holder that ALL these mock drafts are going to be wrong when it’s all said and done. In Ballard’s mind there are only 14 elite talent players in this draft.  The next group of players could be drafted mid 1 to early 3rd. Which means the Colts won’t trade up unless a player Ballard sees as elite falls. Ballard didn’t have to trade up to get Hooker in 2017, but that is a prime example of a player that fell where Ballard might have traded up from 26 to get. 

Holder asked about whether the Colts would consider carrying 3 QBs on the roster and Ballard said the only way that happens is if they don’t think they can sneak the QB onto the practice squad. Holder suggested that if the Colts drafted a QB to replace Jacoby Brissett after he leaves in free agent next year that they might carry that QB. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

Listening to Stephen Holder’s podcast Horseshoes with Holder (Stampede Blue) he was talking about a discussion he had with Chris Ballard at the owner’s meeting. He touched on 2 interesting topics from the discussion. Talent in this draft and whether or not the Colts might consider carrying 3 QBs on the 53 man roster. 

Ballard told Holder that ALL these mock drafts are going to be wrong when it’s all said and done. In Ballard’s mind there are only 14 elite talent players in this draft.  The next group of players could be drafted mid 1 to early 3rd. Which means the Colts won’t trade up unless a player Ballard sees as elite falls. Ballard didn’t have to trade up to get Hooker in 2017, but that is a prime example of a player that fell where Ballard might have traded up from 26 to get. 

Holder asked about whether the Colts would consider carrying 3 QBs on the roster and Ballard said the only way that happens is if they don’t think they can sneak the QB onto the practice squad. Holder suggested that if the Colts drafted a QB to replace Jacoby Brissett after he leaves in free agent next year that they might carry that QB. 

I have always felt that GM's use tiers. Top tier (Ballard indicates 14 this year), and I think the second tier is much larger. It cracks me up to see fans argue about a player going 26 rather than 34, as if it was a bad value. So many factors go into the long term success of a player. Slot is about how they get paid, but it's all development after that. 

I would guess that the biggest difference between top tier and second, is fit. Every player drafted in the first three rounds are nearly all outstanding athletes. But the ones that can play in any system, indoor or out, are those top 14. I think the second tier....you have to make sure the fit is right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys

We're voting on the Colts pick at 26 in the draft section. It would be great to have your thoughts and votes. 

Thanks

GFW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did this mock on The Draft Network mock draft

1-26 DT Christian Wilkins 

2-34 WR N’Keal Harry 

2-59 CB Julian Love 

3-89 TE Dawson Knox 

4-129 WR DeMarkus Lodge

4-135 S Zedrick Woods 

5-164 EDGE Jalen Jelks 

6-199 LB Ben Burr-Kirven 

7-240 EDGE Austin Bryant 

I really wanted to go OL but never found an OL I liked.

If I was doing a 3 rounder not using TDN I probably would go Wilkins/Tillery/Simmons in round 1, Harry or A.J. Brown in round 2a and probably Love or S Darnell Savage round 2b

Some of the Josh Jacobs stuff coming out makes me think it’s possible we might take him at #34 if not a WR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If your team goes offense in round one again I will not root for you anymore. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

If your team goes offense in round one again I will not root for you anymore. 

Got it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m going to go see Avengers:End Game tonight. I agreed to go before I realized it was draft night and tickets were purchased. 

I do have off work tomorrow so I set up the DVR to tape the draft. I also shut off all notifications on my phone so I don’t get any accidental spoilers. I’ll be watching the draft tomorrow morning to get caught up for tomorrow evenings rounds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Colts traded pick #26 to the Redskins for R2 P42 and a 2020 2nd rounder 

Colt’s 2nd rders tomorrow: #34, #42 and #59

2018 - 4-2nd rders

2019 - 3-2nd rders (for now) 

2020 - 2-2nd rders 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

Colts traded pick #26 to the Redskins for R2 P42 and a 2020 2nd rounder 

Colt’s 2nd rders tomorrow: #34, #42 and #59

2018 - 4-2nd rders

2019 - 3-2nd rders (for now) 

2020 - 2-2nd rders 

 

Since Ballard said that he felt 15-70 were all similar in value, then this was a great move. Can't wait to see who we pick! I say OT. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

😂😂😂

This is not what I want to see as a Niner fan. I was trying to figure out what route you guys go tomorrow. 

Will it be a WR? 

 

What is your guys read on what ballard will do if he doesnt trade down? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We could end up taking a WR, I would personally want AJ Brown or either CB Byron Murphy or Rock Ya-Sin (Greedy Williams is more man coverage and we play more zone).

Ballard, Reich and Eberflus have a rotation that they want on the DL where they have “8 starters” so DL is a possibility.

Ballard also hasn’t ruled out OL as well, “you don’t stop looking at OL because you have 5 good starters”.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×