Should Josh Rosen be an option for the Lions

GetDownandDirty

With all the talk that Arizona looking to move Josh Rosen, should the Lions throw they’re hat into the ring. I think he would make a good back up to Stafford & won’t be rushed into a starting role, allowing him to study & learn. If the price was right to pick Rosen up, would want to pick him up?? 

36 minutes ago, GetDownandDirty said:

With all the talk that Arizona looking to move Josh Rosen, should the Lions throw they’re hat into the ring. I think he would make a good back up to Stafford & won’t be rushed into a starting role, allowing him to study & learn. If the price was right to pick Rosen up, would want to pick him up?? 

Define the right price?

If the speculation is right and the Cardinals are going to draft Murray they won’t be giving Rosen away. Reading about the situation pundits think the Cardinals will get anywhere from a 1st to 5th round pick. If it’s a 4th or 5th then it could make sense but trading a pick in the first three rounds doesn’t, to me. 

Lets not ignore the fact Rosen will want to start and I don’t think riding the bench would be in his perceived best interests. So he’s likely not going to be happy as a backup.

So, I would pass on the opportunity.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, GetDownandDirty said:

This would be the ultimate referendum on what Quinn and Patricia think of Stafford. We'd likely get Stafford's best year as he'd be ticked off but he'd be gone next off-season. The cap hit this year would be outrageous so that's not going to happen but next year would be a real possibility. You only make that move if you expect Rosen to be able to play near the same level and you're confident that you can add the right pieces around him to build a successful team.

Teams that have the cap space in 2020 and could use a QB (at this time): Miami, Chargers, Giants, Saints, Bengals, Buccaneers. Dallas has the most cap space and they haven't tried to extend Prescott yet. Stafford going back to Texas and leading the Cowboys could happen.

10 hours ago, Millenhater said:

If he’s not a total cancer I’d give up or 3rd. I think you could flip him for a 2 or a 1 in a year or at the deadline if a playoff bound team needs a QB because if injury. 

The Cardinals already have 3 offers for a 2nd but are holding out hope for a 1st.

It's really about the optics and the message you're sending to Stafford and the fanbase. They're telling Stafford, you're not our guy. Rosen might be (he also might not) but you are not in our future plans. If he forces a trade next season, there's $20M of dead cap and $11.5M of new cap space. If they make a couple other moves - we're looking at about $60M of cap space (albeit with 36 players under contract not including Rosen). If Rosen turns out to be a stud, then we can spend the $50M+ to add other pieces around him and build up the roster. If he turns out to be a dud, then we're going to have to take another guy in 2020 and Stafford might have balled out enough where we're at least picking in the mid-rounds.

For a team that is looking for instant success and at least getting back to 9-7, 10-6, 11-5 territory with a chance at the playoffs, this just wouldn't make a ton of sense to me.

I wouldn't consider it.  He wasn't good enough to risk chemistry issues here.  We have another two years of Stafford at minimum.  And I truly feel it is not on him that we have been so bad.  He is a solid QB, the best we have ever had in Detroit and with the right system/situation, will be successful.  Nobody is talking about the lions not making the playoffs because of Stafford.  if anything its because of the lack of O line, lack of stopping people, and the lack of trust in the coaches.  I see no reason to even consider Rosen.

28 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I wouldn't consider it.  He wasn't good enough to risk chemistry issues here.  We have another two years of Stafford at minimum.  And I truly feel it is not on him that we have been so bad.  He is a solid QB, the best we have ever had in Detroit and with the right system/situation, will be successful.  Nobody is talking about the lions not making the playoffs because of Stafford.  if anything its because of the lack of O line, lack of stopping people, and the lack of trust in the coaches.  I see no reason to even consider Rosen.

I never even thought about it before but what if Stafford was looking at retiring or sitting out the season to be with his wife? It might give us a reason to consider it and could explain why they're doing their homework on the QB's in the draft.

2 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I never even thought about it before but what if Stafford was looking at retiring or sitting out the season to be with his wife? It might give us a reason to consider it and could explain why they're doing their homework on the QB's in the draft.

It could.  I hope not but would completely understand if he did. And I understand doing due diligence, but either way I am not sold on Rosen.  There are QBs in the 3rd/4th I would be just as comfortable with as Rosen, and cheaper. 

5 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

It could.  I hope not but would completely understand if he did. And I understand doing due diligence, but either way I am not sold on Rosen.  There are QBs in the 3rd/4th I would be just as comfortable with as Rosen, and cheaper. 

He was a top 10 QB last year and the Cards did trade up to get him. I'm not sold on him but there was something about him that led to those moves. They're #1 overall and have a completely new coaching staff for a reason. If Stafford did retire, I wouldn't be opposed to trading for Rosen using a 2nd and moving down from #8 to collect some extra picks while adding another guy into the mix (maybe Lock if he's there at 14).

46 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

He was a top 10 QB last year and the Cards did trade up to get him. I'm not sold on him but there was something about him that led to those moves. They're #1 overall and have a completely new coaching staff for a reason. If Stafford did retire, I wouldn't be opposed to trading for Rosen using a 2nd and moving down from #8 to collect some extra picks while adding another guy into the mix (maybe Lock if he's there at 14).

Blake Bortles and Ryan Tanehill were top 10 QBs too.  If Rosen showed enough to be a number one QB, they wouldn't be looking to trade him and would sue the top spot in the draft to select a position player that would help them like Bosa.  Kyler would have to be a Andrew Luck level prospect for me to give up on a QB I took top 10 the year before and Murray is not that.  Their interest in moving him is telling, and agrees with where I thought he should have been drafted last year and what he showed in year 1.

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Blake Bortles and Ryan Tanehill were top 10 QBs too.  If Rosen showed enough to be a number one QB, they wouldn't be looking to trade him and would sue the top spot in the draft to select a position player that would help them like Bosa.  Kyler would have to be a Andrew Luck level prospect for me to give up on a QB I took top 10 the year before and Murray is not that.  Their interest in moving him is telling, and agrees with where I thought he should have been drafted last year and what he showed in year 1.

All of that is fair. There are other guys we could throw into the mix (Ponder, Locker)… so you do have a point. I still think it'd be worth throwing out a 2nd if everything lined up 1) Stafford retires, 2) Trade down from #8 and get extra picks.

14 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

There was something that led to those moves. There would also be something that would lead to him being traded.

A team willing to move on from a QB they moved up to draft one year ago isn’t a good sign. 

8 minutes ago, NFL_Fan said:

IF YOU GUYS ALL HATE STAFFORD.....WHAT IS ONE...ONE! TRAIT THAT ROSEN HAS WHERE HE WOULD BE BETTER THEN STAFFORD.....ILL BE WAITING

His age and salary.

I am a Stafford fan. I don't think that Rosen would make a lot of sense but there are a few different scenarios where the Lions could look at him as the option.