Pet Sematary (2019 remake)

KManX89

I thought I'd start a thread for it in advance.

Anyone seen this yet/fixing to go see it? I'll definitely see it at SOME point being the horror fanatic I am and the fact that I never saw the original (yeah, shoot me), but releasing it the same day as a comic book film doesn't sound like smart business to me. I don't expect it to make a lot of money, but it definitely has me "intrigued".

I never thought the original was all that scary, but got a chance to see this early so I couldn't pass it up. Unfortunately, I cannot say that this was scary either. It had it's moments with jump scares, but outside of that it was a lot more laughable than frightening in any given scene. Acting and the story were all on point, but they really didn't extend too far beyond the source content (with a twist). I just felt they couldn't have done a lot more with the concept to make it more scary, but alas they did not. It's not a bad film, but it's not worth paying to go see in theaters, IMO.

1 hour ago, D82 said:

The original is more of a "background noise" type of movie...why they chose to remake this is beyond me as it was never really scary anyway.

Probably after the success of It they wanted to

get another King adaptation out there

18 hours ago, D82 said:

The original is more of a "background noise" type of movie...why they chose to remake this is beyond me as it was never really scary anyway.

Because the local cinema has 37 1/2 screens (OK, probably not that many) that they've got to project something onto constantly.  I'm not the biggest Steven King fan, but there has to to be another one of his stories that warranted ending up on the silver screen.

1 hour ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

Because the local cinema has 37 1/2 screens (OK, probably not that many) that they've got to project something onto constantly.  I'm not the biggest Steven King fan, but there has to to be another one of his stories that warranted ending up on the silver screen.

That's what I'm saying. 'Pet Sematary' is probably one of his most 'meh' stories. 

Just now, D82 said:

That's what I'm saying. 'Pet Sematary' is probably one of his most 'meh' stories. 

I disagree.  I think Pet Sematary is one of King' best stories, but it wasn't realized very well.  The Wendigo and other supernatural elements should have been the focus of it, and it should have been much more of a slow burn type story with the climax being the realization of somebody coming back from the dead and just a hint of the horror that would come with knowing you've brought back something that's not quite the same. 

I saw it, it was okay. It did drag a little, but by the time the third act rolls around, it gets "interesting", though the ending was kinda convoluted. It did lack character development, but the actors did a fine job (except the girl who played Ellie, she was horrible).

I've never seen the original, but I heard it's much better than the remake. Maybe I'll check it out some time to see how much potential they wasted in this.

Archived