kurgan 2019 mock draft v.4

kurgan

20 DAYS!!!!

Bored at work, and wanted to do one here to reflect pro days, combine, FA and visits.  Also, after some discussions on here, I thought that there might be a trend that is starting to take shape.  Did this on the Mock Draft Machine at TDN.  Also used the 2019 NFL Draft Trade Value Chart from Drafttek (spoiler alert!!!).  As always, meant to spark discussion and talk about some of the trends that are popping up, and then maybe put some more of my spin on it.

Top needs:

1)  CB/WR/Edge/$

2) TE/LB

3) RB/DL/IOL

1.20--Clelin Ferrell, Edge Clemson  6'5" 260

Not a name that I have seen connected to the Steelers a lot, but someone that I am happy with here.  In my mocks that I have run, Bush is gone and that is OK with me anyway.  I am not sold on Bush, and do not think that he brings the playmaking ability that we all want in our ILB.  Plus, I am a Barron mark, and I think that he will surprise some people.  That being said, it really came down to Greedy or Ferrell for me in this mock.  I love Greedy, but I am not sold on him being a perfect fit in Pittsburgh.  I don't like that he is a press-man corner only, I don't like that he doesn't support run like a champ, and I am not sure he is a perfect fit in the lockerroom.  Therefore, I am taking Ferrell here.

He is an underclassman and Tombert was at the Clemson pro day, so he fits those criteria.

Now, I know that he is not a perfect fit as an OLB for the Steelers.  But, he is a run stopping demon who will also rush the passer like a grown *** man.  He is going to have to learn how to drop into coverages and play the pass better, but he has the raw tools to succeed.  His inate ability to rush the passer and make a difference in the backfield is uncoachable.  He is a playmaker and a difference maker, two things that we have to have on this defense.  He can come in and rotate and play subpackages immediatley in a myriad of ways.  He can put his hand down and rush, or kick inside and rush.  He can play opposite of Watt in dime and they can push the pocket way better than Dupree.  He can rush as Dupree drops.  Hell, you can put all 3 of them out there if you are creative with personnel and are worried about 3 high picks out there together.  Moreover, he makes Dupree expendable if he does not live up to billing, and we have a net in place if he walks after this year.

2.52--Darnell Savage Jr, $backer Maryland  5'11" 191

A guy that we are all over with some coaches at Pro Day and as a pre-draft visitor, with good reason.  This guy fits the mold of what we need as another playmaker in the secondary.  I see him more in the role as the moneybacker earlier, with Davis and Edmunds at the safties, but if Davis can't make it work, Savage has some experience in the backend as well.  A voracious tackler and plus slot cover guy, he has all the makings of the third box safety with 15-20 extra good pounds.  His SPARq score is out of the box, meaning his athletic profile is ready on day 1.  He can start on day 1 as the subpackage guy that comes in as the dime safety, and work later to push Hilton as the slot corner.  Over time, maybe he takes Davis's job and maybe he works in conjuntion, but that is for Austin and Bradley to sort out.  All I know is that we have another big playmaker now in the backend in which to work with.

I thought about CB or WR here, obviously.  Trayvon Mullen, Julian Love, Deebo Samuels, Emmanuel Hall.

3.66--Mecole Hardman, WR Georgia  5'10" 183

OK... some groans here.  I am a UGA homer.  Also, I know we all think we need a true "X."  But, hear me out for a sec.

1)  AB was the X, and he is only 5'10". 

2) Hardman is scratching the surface of his talent, as he has only been a WR for 18-24 months

3) He has ELITE speed

4) MOST IMPORTANT-- HE WANTS TO BE A STEELER!!!!!!  (Anyone else remember Kevin Byard??  Wanted to be a Steeler... we passed... now a Pro-Bowler with Tennessee)

This is actually the perfect scenario, if you ask me.  You have Moncreif.  Cool... he is the X now.  Get Mecole in the system.  Run him at Slot, X and Z.  Feature him at X some, like AB did.  The formations with X alone and trips away, he is made for.  Corner better be at least fast, or he will get toasted.  Put him in the trips, and screen passes are gone.  Kid is a player and difference maker.  Used to play corner his first year at UGA, so doesn't mind hitting, meaning he can be the gunner right away as well.  For me, he is a good get and again... WANTS TO BE HERE!!!!  Dad is a huge UGA fan, made him watch film of Hines Ward, for God's sake.

WORST CASE... he becomes a good slot reciever/PR and KR nightmare and ST gunner.  I'd take that.  But, he can be so much more.  Hell, I'd challenge Ben to try to overthrow him.

3.83--Rock Ya-Sin, CB Temple  5'11" 190

So, this was easy for me.  With WR, Edge and $ gone, I had to take the best CB left.  Now, I was lucky that Ya-Sin was here, but David Long, the Michigan corner should be here too and although a reach, it is a need.  They are similar in some ways, but in this one, I am going to talk about Ya-Sin.  Even better, just saw that he was a Pre-Draft visitor today.  That makes it even better.

Rock is a press man corner who is physical and a great developmental guy that we can work in the same groups as Sutton to see who wants to be the guy when Haden leaves in two years.  He is a RAW player, as he played 3 years down here at a small South Carolina college before they went dIII and took schollys away, and allowed players to transfer.  He ended up at Temple this past year.  Needless to say, he has some work to do.  He needs to work on technique and feet, but is comfortable in man concepts.  I'd imagine it was a 'take out their best player' deal for a long time, and the refinement was not there.  But, in big pro camps, bring it on.  He is a willing tackler and a guy that can roll in and take on a team's #2 or #3 WR.  Will never be the alpha in the corps, but a role player that can be player down the road.

***TRADE*** (Steelers trade 4.141 and 5.175 to the Minnesota Vikings for 4.120)

4.120--Foster Moreau, TE LSU  6'5' 255

Yes... we trade up in the 4th 20 spots to get the TE that is made to be a Steeler.  This dude is an in-line beast blocker, seams buster, high IQ guy who has the hands and guts to take the snaps that the Outlaw left behind.  Blew testing out of the water and is flying up a crowded TE class and we had to make a move to get him.  Another Pro Day guy who we are familar with and again, is made to be a Steeler.  Can be a redzone threat and seams weapon, and also a good POA blocker.  LSU never has good QB play so he might explode once he gets coached up and a decent QB to throw to him.  IF the move is for LB, I could see it if Cashman falls or even if we feel good about Vosean Joesph.

4.122--David Long, LB West Virginia  5'11" 225

I had to make the trade since I earmarked this spot for Long from the drop.  This is a guy that I liked when I saw the Steelers Depot report on him.  Especially if we do more of the 3-3-5 stuff that WVU does.  Another Pro Day visit and pre-draft guy, Long has the makings of a lighter nickel linebacker/Barron understudy.  I like the way that he flows to the ball and gets with force, but he does need refinement and work to push for PT.  He is line with Gary Johnson, but I like the play of Long better.  Would serve as a nickel backer, rusher, dropper off the bat and special teams guy and maybe in year 2 push Barron and work on further.  I would look at Johnson here if Long is gone, and even Burr-Kirven or Hanks.  If LB is taken first, then this would need to be TE Warring or Mack.

***TRADE*** (Steelers trade 6.192 and 7.207 to the Atlanta Falcons for 6.185)

6.185--Armon Watts, 5 tech Arkansas  6'4" 309

Jump up 15 spots to get a 5 tech that I really wanted here.  I think we met with him at the Senior Bowl, and this guy has some of the talent that we look for in our DE spots.  I like the pass get off that he possesses.  He is a decent run stopper inside in the four man that Arkansas runs, but has some REAL good ideas about how to get to the QB.  His technique needs work, but he does yeoman's work in the run and has some pass rush talent with clean up.  Worth a spot here to take the LT Walton spot.

7.219--Mike Weber, RB Ohio State  5'9" 215

With the position getting less league wide attention, good backs are getting pushed down and Weber falls here.  I'd take him here and live with him as the #3.  He is a guy that is good at a lot of things, but not elite in anything.  A smaller guy but not a gimmicky guy with like elite speed or anything to make him a one-trick pony.  Just a good, solid, if smaller, back.  Runs a lot of zone stuff and got pushed out of reps by higher rated guys, but just a pro that will be a guy that can get in and get stuff done.  Will do what is asked, and do it to the best he can.  Was a pre-draft visitor, so that is another check in the box.

Notable UDFA--

Lester Cotton, OG Alabama--some interior line depth for the Steelers for camp and maybe a guy that can make some waves in the future with some pass technique refinement and some reps.  Will be helpful with the murky future of Foster/Finney.

Iman Marshall, CB USC--Pre season, one of biggest hyped CB, fell off the map with a horrible year.  Maybe snagging him here 'cheap' and seeing if he can be a reclimation project will be worth it.

BJ Blunt, $ McNeese State--Met with him at the Senior Bowl, a hype player that will do anything for the team.  Undersized, counted out, baller.

Mitch Hyatt, OT Clemson--HIGH 5 star out of HS, went to Clemson and literally started EVERY game for 4 years.  Is undersized and under strengthed for pro LT, but maybe a canidate for RT or even kicking inside.  Too much natural talent to not take a chance on the man.

Johnnie Dixon, WR OSU--Like this guy as the next DHB.  Burner with no real other skills.  Decent WR with OK hands, just a lot of better guys came through OSU.  BUT, a special teams demon who would be an elite gunner and good enough to take WR reps if needed.

Ulysses Gilbert III, LB Akron--Hyped as a tackle machine, not sure if that gets him drafted.  Take him here and see if he can push some of the other MLB off the roster.

OVERVIEW--

Tried to be predictive but also some of my own stuff in there, especially with the WR pick.  I know Ferrell won't be popular, but with the small list that we have identified as picks, he is the one I wanted to build around.  I think I got 2 true impact defenders in year one, and a WR and TE that should help some immediatley and more down the road.  Got a CB and LB that can help soon, but more in year 2 and 3.  A DL that is a project, and a #3 back.

Tell me what you think!!!!

Very Steelerish draft...very realistic.

If I did a mock, you probably have 2-3 of the same guys as me.

Another note is if you bring in a high pick at edge, that allows you to cut Chickillo after this season and save $5 mill against cap next year.

Minor comment is that I think they draft a kicker or punter late to being in competition.

2 hours ago, kurgan said:

When I did this mock, Ferrell shows up as #31 on the board. I don't know much about Ferrell, but there are 3 CBs higher than him. I prefer Greedy Williams, but I'd be happy with Murphy here too. I just think in today's NFL, if you do not make the QB hold the ball a second or two longer with coverage, pass rush really doesn't matter.

20 Greedy Williams, CB LSU -- He is on the board about 60% of the simulations I've tried.

I don't know much about Savage. He shows up at #54, so I think he's probably a good pick. I just think Mack Wilson fills a greater need. The Devins are getting all the love, but I just think Wilson will have a better career.

52 Mack Wilson, LB Alabama -- I do think the Steelers will have to move up in the 2nd to get him, or maybe just take him in the 1st. He goes in the 1st at least 50% of the time.

I think there are a lot of WRs in this draft. Spending a pick on one in the 3rd is too early in my opinion.  Adding Moncrief gives the Steelers a lot of flexibility, and I think we're going to see a lot of improvement with Switzer and Washington this season, especially since Ben won't have to be forcing throws to AB. I didn't have a lot of options here, but a guy that stands out to me a lot this year is Zach Allen.

66 Zach Allen, EDGE Boston College -- I think after a year in the NFL, we could see another Aaron Smith type player in him.

I really do not think Ya-Sin will get out of the 2nd round. I've seen some mocks with him in the 1st round. And while I do think that the 3rd round is too soon for WR, I think it is perfect for TE. To me it is a toss up between Oliver and Mack. I'd be happy with either guy, but on this board Oliver is rated higher.

83 Josh Oliver, TE San Jose St.

-----

After this point, there are a few names I like from watching some games, but I honestly do not know where they should be drafted.  After the 3rd round, it's all a complete mystery. PLus, I do not see punters or kickers available, and I think one or both might be an option.

JJ Arcega-Whiteside, WR Stanford

Justice Hill, RB Oklahoma State

Will Harris, S Boston College

Jalen Hurd, WR Baylor

On 4/6/2019 at 7:06 AM, kurgan said:

20 DAYS!!!!

Bored at work, and wanted to do one here to reflect pro days, combine, FA and visits.  Also, after some discussions on here, I thought that there might be a trend that is starting to take shape.  Did this on the Mock Draft Machine at TDN.  Also used the 2019 NFL Draft Trade Value Chart from Drafttek (spoiler alert!!!).  As always, meant to spark discussion and talk about some of the trends that are popping up, and then maybe put some more of my spin on it.

Top needs:

1)  CB/WR/Edge/$

2) TE/LB

3) RB/DL/IOL

Not a name that I have seen connected to the Steelers a lot, but someone that I am happy with here.  In my mocks that I have run, Bush is gone and that is OK with me anyway.  I am not sold on Bush, and do not think that he brings the playmaking ability that we all want in our ILB.  Plus, I am a Barron mark, and I think that he will surprise some people.  That being said, it really came down to Greedy or Ferrell for me in this mock.  I love Greedy, but I am not sold on him being a perfect fit in Pittsburgh.  I don't like that he is a press-man corner only, I don't like that he doesn't support run like a champ, and I am not sure he is a perfect fit in the lockerroom.  Therefore, I am taking Ferrell here.

He is an underclassman and Tombert was at the Clemson pro day, so he fits those criteria.

Now, I know that he is not a perfect fit as an OLB for the Steelers.  But, he is a run stopping demon who will also rush the passer like a grown *** man.  He is going to have to learn how to drop into coverages and play the pass better, but he has the raw tools to succeed.  His inate ability to rush the passer and make a difference in the backfield is uncoachable.  He is a playmaker and a difference maker, two things that we have to have on this defense.  He can come in and rotate and play subpackages immediatley in a myriad of ways.  He can put his hand down and rush, or kick inside and rush.  He can play opposite of Watt in dime and they can push the pocket way better than Dupree.  He can rush as Dupree drops.  Hell, you can put all 3 of them out there if you are creative with personnel and are worried about 3 high picks out there together.  Moreover, he makes Dupree expendable if he does not live up to billing, and we have a net in place if he walks after this year.

A guy that we are all over with some coaches at Pro Day and as a pre-draft visitor, with good reason.  This guy fits the mold of what we need as another playmaker in the secondary.  I see him more in the role as the moneybacker earlier, with Davis and Edmunds at the safties, but if Davis can't make it work, Savage has some experience in the backend as well.  A voracious tackler and plus slot cover guy, he has all the makings of the third box safety with 15-20 extra good pounds.  His SPARq score is out of the box, meaning his athletic profile is ready on day 1.  He can start on day 1 as the subpackage guy that comes in as the dime safety, and work later to push Hilton as the slot corner.  Over time, maybe he takes Davis's job and maybe he works in conjuntion, but that is for Austin and Bradley to sort out.  All I know is that we have another big playmaker now in the backend in which to work with.

I thought about CB or WR here, obviously.  Trayvon Mullen, Julian Love, Deebo Samuels, Emmanuel Hall.

OK... some groans here.  I am a UGA homer.  Also, I know we all think we need a true "X."  But, hear me out for a sec.

1)  AB was the X, and he is only 5'10". 

2) Hardman is scratching the surface of his talent, as he has only been a WR for 18-24 months

3) He has ELITE speed

4) MOST IMPORTANT-- HE WANTS TO BE A STEELER!!!!!!  (Anyone else remember Kevin Byard??  Wanted to be a Steeler... we passed... now a Pro-Bowler with Tennessee)

This is actually the perfect scenario, if you ask me.  You have Moncreif.  Cool... he is the X now.  Get Mecole in the system.  Run him at Slot, X and Z.  Feature him at X some, like AB did.  The formations with X alone and trips away, he is made for.  Corner better be at least fast, or he will get toasted.  Put him in the trips, and screen passes are gone.  Kid is a player and difference maker.  Used to play corner his first year at UGA, so doesn't mind hitting, meaning he can be the gunner right away as well.  For me, he is a good get and again... WANTS TO BE HERE!!!!  Dad is a huge UGA fan, made him watch film of Hines Ward, for God's sake.

WORST CASE... he becomes a good slot reciever/PR and KR nightmare and ST gunner.  I'd take that.  But, he can be so much more.  Hell, I'd challenge Ben to try to overthrow him.

So, this was easy for me.  With WR, Edge and $ gone, I had to take the best CB left.  Now, I was lucky that Ya-Sin was here, but David Long, the Michigan corner should be here too and although a reach, it is a need.  They are similar in some ways, but in this one, I am going to talk about Ya-Sin.  Even better, just saw that he was a Pre-Draft visitor today.  That makes it even better.

Rock is a press man corner who is physical and a great developmental guy that we can work in the same groups as Sutton to see who wants to be the guy when Haden leaves in two years.  He is a RAW player, as he played 3 years down here at a small South Carolina college before they went dIII and took schollys away, and allowed players to transfer.  He ended up at Temple this past year.  Needless to say, he has some work to do.  He needs to work on technique and feet, but is comfortable in man concepts.  I'd imagine it was a 'take out their best player' deal for a long time, and the refinement was not there.  But, in big pro camps, bring it on.  He is a willing tackler and a guy that can roll in and take on a team's #2 or #3 WR.  Will never be the alpha in the corps, but a role player that can be player down the road.

***TRADE*** (Steelers trade 4.141 and 5.175 to the Minnesota Vikings for 4.120)

4.120--Foster Moreau, TE LSU  6'5' 255

Yes... we trade up in the 4th 20 spots to get the TE that is made to be a Steeler.  This dude is an in-line beast blocker, seams buster, high IQ guy who has the hands and guts to take the snaps that the Outlaw left behind.  Blew testing out of the water and is flying up a crowded TE class and we had to make a move to get him.  Another Pro Day guy who we are familar with and again, is made to be a Steeler.  Can be a redzone threat and seams weapon, and also a good POA blocker.  LSU never has good QB play so he might explode once he gets coached up and a decent QB to throw to him.  IF the move is for LB, I could see it if Cashman falls or even if we feel good about Vosean Joesph.

4.122--David Long, LB West Virginia  5'11" 225

I had to make the trade since I earmarked this spot for Long from the drop.  This is a guy that I liked when I saw the Steelers Depot report on him.  Especially if we do more of the 3-3-5 stuff that WVU does.  Another Pro Day visit and pre-draft guy, Long has the makings of a lighter nickel linebacker/Barron understudy.  I like the way that he flows to the ball and gets with force, but he does need refinement and work to push for PT.  He is line with Gary Johnson, but I like the play of Long better.  Would serve as a nickel backer, rusher, dropper off the bat and special teams guy and maybe in year 2 push Barron and work on further.  I would look at Johnson here if Long is gone, and even Burr-Kirven or Hanks.  If LB is taken first, then this would need to be TE Warring or Mack.

***TRADE*** (Steelers trade 6.192 and 7.207 to the Atlanta Falcons for 6.185)

6.185--Armon Watts, 5 tech Arkansas  6'4" 309

Jump up 15 spots to get a 5 tech that I really wanted here.  I think we met with him at the Senior Bowl, and this guy has some of the talent that we look for in our DE spots.  I like the pass get off that he possesses.  He is a decent run stopper inside in the four man that Arkansas runs, but has some REAL good ideas about how to get to the QB.  His technique needs work, but he does yeoman's work in the run and has some pass rush talent with clean up.  Worth a spot here to take the LT Walton spot.

7.219--Mike Weber, RB Ohio State  5'9" 215

With the position getting less league wide attention, good backs are getting pushed down and Weber falls here.  I'd take him here and live with him as the #3.  He is a guy that is good at a lot of things, but not elite in anything.  A smaller guy but not a gimmicky guy with like elite speed or anything to make him a one-trick pony.  Just a good, solid, if smaller, back.  Runs a lot of zone stuff and got pushed out of reps by higher rated guys, but just a pro that will be a guy that can get in and get stuff done.  Will do what is asked, and do it to the best he can.  Was a pre-draft visitor, so that is another check in the box.

Notable UDFA--

Lester Cotton, OG Alabama--some interior line depth for the Steelers for camp and maybe a guy that can make some waves in the future with some pass technique refinement and some reps.  Will be helpful with the murky future of Foster/Finney.

Iman Marshall, CB USC--Pre season, one of biggest hyped CB, fell off the map with a horrible year.  Maybe snagging him here 'cheap' and seeing if he can be a reclimation project will be worth it.

BJ Blunt, $ McNeese State--Met with him at the Senior Bowl, a hype player that will do anything for the team.  Undersized, counted out, baller.

Mitch Hyatt, OT Clemson--HIGH 5 star out of HS, went to Clemson and literally started EVERY game for 4 years.  Is undersized and under strengthed for pro LT, but maybe a canidate for RT or even kicking inside.  Too much natural talent to not take a chance on the man.

Johnnie Dixon, WR OSU--Like this guy as the next DHB.  Burner with no real other skills.  Decent WR with OK hands, just a lot of better guys came through OSU.  BUT, a special teams demon who would be an elite gunner and good enough to take WR reps if needed.

Ulysses Gilbert III, LB Akron--Hyped as a tackle machine, not sure if that gets him drafted.  Take him here and see if he can push some of the other MLB off the roster.

OVERVIEW--

Tried to be predictive but also some of my own stuff in there, especially with the WR pick.  I know Ferrell won't be popular, but with the small list that we have identified as picks, he is the one I wanted to build around.  I think I got 2 true impact defenders in year one, and a WR and TE that should help some immediatley and more down the road.  Got a CB and LB that can help soon, but more in year 2 and 3.  A DL that is a project, and a #3 back.

Tell me what you think!!!!

Yea, I'd be happy with this. And I agree with what someone said above it's feels quite "steelerish".

On 4/5/2019 at 6:51 PM, cjfollett said:

I really do not think Ya-Sin will get out of the 2nd round. I've seen some mocks with him in the 1st round

I've seen him all over the place.  I've seen him as high as 1 and low as 4.  I would also look at David Long from Michigan here, and even a guy that we haven't talked about a bunch, Savion Smith from Alabama.

Archived