Pace; "We Need To Nail This Draft"

soulman

3 minutes ago, G08 said:

I think this is the least excited I've ever been for Draft Day.

It's kind of like when Dad buys you something big in July and says it counts as your Christmas present.  Then Christmas morning comes and you are watching everyone else open gifts.

You have to watch Mack highlights to feel better.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

You say in hindsight.  If many of those guys had higher floors they would have been drafted higher and we wouldn't have got them.  Cohen is 5'6 and 180 lbs.  Nobody is going to say he had a high floor even leaving out small school.  All college players are a risk because of talent jump.  Small school players are greater risk because of greater talent jump.  Even when they play in post season all star games.  

Trubisky could have easily been a massive bust.  Watson was much safer pick given his experience and college success.  Mahomes was Texas Tech air raid guy and still had that unfair stink about him from many.  

Safest picks he has made in last two years are Smith and Daniels, but higher the pick the higher the floor generally.  However, even Daniels had a lot of scouts buzzing about work ethic or love of the game or he would have likely gone in first based on talent.  I'm glad those rumors started.  

Keep in mind I think he evolved in 2017 so I am not even going to discuss 2015 and 2016 during which I believe he was learning and felt pressured to make Vic and Fangio happy.  I think the Floyd pick really was as much of Fangio and Fox choice as a Pace choice.   I say that based on comments all 3 have made.  

I think he continues to evolve albeit at a slower rate now that he is finding success with his current philosophy.  

I say?  I say nothing.  Ask Pace what he saw. There's where you'll get a truthful answer.  Do you honestly believe hitting on that many 2nd-5th round picks, three consecutive 1sts, and a couple of UDFA was just luck?  Jeezus bro I hope to hell not 'cause if it was it may be due to run out.

As for the rest you're putting your way of seeing it into every example and you didn't see any of these guys perform live, review scouting reports and hours of game vids, or meet with them individually yet somehow you're putting yourself on the same level as Pace and his scouting staff or even above it saying you know better what a guys ceiling and floor was prior to the draft than they did.  Come man, that dog won't hunt.

With all due respect what I'm reading is a whole bunch of draftnik speak repeated by all of the talking heads that try to project and criticize picks and even though they've done more research and are closer to the action than we are they're still wrong far more than they're right.  I've yet to see any of them review they're rankings and mocks three years later and score their accuracy.  Have you?

Any draftee could be a bust or a future HOF'er and anything in between.  It's a GMs job to figure who fits into what category and based on his needs draft as well as he can.  Pace has become pretty good at it in my estimation because he's had few complete failures.  Most have contributed to some degree even if it's been mostly STeams.  It's not just luck.  It's doing good research and having an eye for talent who fits your schemes.

18 hours ago, WindyCity said:

At least we do not have the spectre of disappointment.

For every fist pump Roquan pick there is a WTF McClellin pick.

Still scratching my head over that one when Chandler Jones was on the board.  We're playing a 4-3 and Emery takes a guy who could only be a 3-4 OLB if he played on the edge.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soulman said:

Still scratching my head over that one when Chandler Jones was on the board.  We're playing a 4-3 and Emery takes a guy who could only be a 3-4 OLB if he played on the edge.

Nuts. And he ruined that poor guys career by playing him out of position for years.  

• Like 1