Baltimore Ravens 2019 Draft Thread

coordinator0

It's draft day! Here's what the Ravens are working with heading into the festivities tonight:

1:22

3:86

3:103

4:114

4:124

5:161

6:193

6:195

Also, please remember to keep this thread spoiler-free. Let it come naturally. 

Let's have some fun the next few days. And by fun I definitely mean raging against the eventual Josh Jacobs pick at by the Ravens. I've been saving up some angst for this weekend. 

I can't believe Mike Mayock will actually be making picks now. That's so funny. Certainly adds to the draft's excitement for me this year. Just on a human level you have to be happy for him. He clearly had a lot of enthusiasm/interest in the art of team building, and to be given the opportunity to actually do so in the service of a prestigious club is a special thing.

On a practical level though, it's also a great example of the unknown irrationally being given favor over the experienced. Think about all the actual former scouts that have become draft personalities. You won't hear about them becoming GMs. They've already taken their shot and failed to rise through the ranks. They represent limitations. Yet Mayock, who has never been judged or forced to apply his skill in a real way. Represents a possible "untapped" source of knowledge.

10 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

What's everyone's thoughts on how many QBs could potentially go before our pick?

3 minimum.  4 would not surprise me, especially given the rumours about Washington wanting to trade up for Jones

• Like 1

Just now, DreamKid said:

What's everyone's thoughts on how many QBs could potentially go before our pick?

I have not watched much of the QB's, but there are huge questions regarding all 4 top prospects. Still, I could see the BPV (Best Player Value) come into play and see 4 QB's go in the top 20, that would either push top talent to us, so we can pick a top talent, or we have a better chance of trading back.

Personally I am in favor of an approach, that a team should find a QB you can win with, rather than hoping to find a top 5 QB. Those QB's are so rare, and if we pick the current top 5 - Brady, Brees, Mahomes, Wilson, Rodgers - we neither have only 1. round picks, we also don't have the first QB picked overall. So with that in mind, as with any other position the chance of hitting it with a 1. round QB is higher, but a Daniel Jones could just as easily be the next Wilson, although he isn't valued as such now.

In the end 90% of all QB's are so very dependent on having a good team around them, so if Kyler Murray is a phantom and makes it easier for the Cardinals to win, they won't make any significant results if the rest of the team isn't good, while a Daniel Jones could be a worse QB but perform better with a better team.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, drd23 said:

3 minimum.  4 would not surprise me, especially given the rumours about Washington wanting to trade up for Jones

Murray. Haskins. Lock. Jones.

Hopefully the teams above us load up. Both for the present, allowing superior talent to fall, but also the future. The more that go this year, the fewer contenders we have for QBOTFs in the next couple drafts.

If Lamar has a bad showing this season, the 2nd Round Pick we have invested in him isn't going to prevent us from going after the superior QB prospects that will declare in the coming years.

11 minutes ago, Danand said:

so if Kyler Murray is a phantom and makes it easier for the Cardinals to win, they won't make any significant results if the rest of the team isn't good

If Kyler Murray is a phantom, I guarantee the Cardinals will win the Super Bowl. 

Just now, drd23 said:

I'm going to guess than Dan meant phenom instead of phantom. 

Also, I'm unsure how Kyler being a ghost guarantees the Cards win a SB

I assumed he meant phenom as well.

Cause you can't tackle a Ghost. It's a TD every time Murray touches the ball.

The concept was explained quite well in EyeShield 21.

latest?cb=20100215001534

2 minutes ago, drd23 said:

A ghost also can't catch the football after the snap tho ;)

True, it takes a tremendous amount of energy for ghosts to move objects. So much so that they can kill or "erase" their presence in efforts to do so. However, if the spirit has a strong connection to the object. Then they typically can interact with it quite easily. At least according to the experts. 

So given that Kyler Murray has been around Football and also Baseball his entire life, and both sports are a dominant part of his existence. I imagine it would be somewhat easy for a theoretical apparition version of him to catch a ball.

scaryghost.gif?resize=500,350&ssl=1

• Like 1