Overwatch

cddolphin

1 hour ago, RuskieTitan said:

There's games where I might start as DPS, and my aim is just not working. Not having the ability to coordinate and swap with a teammate means now I would tank (without being a tank) our chances. Also there may be times where adding another tank to hold a point may make sense, etc. And finally, Shanghai just won running a 3 DPS squad.

I understand the appeal of having separate ranks for roles, but ultimately I think it's awful to force a specific team comp.

Yea, but part of the reason for this is that they understand that people online don't coordinate with their teammates.  Jeff Kaplan specifically used the example that some teammates are negatively vocal in matches and put pressure on teammates to switch or do what they want.  That's not in every game, but it happens a lot.

Also, your example of winning Shanghai is one of the reasons I think this is happening.  The meta at higher level play over the past year has been 3 tanks and 3 supports (Brig, Lucio, Zen/Ana).  The GOATs meta has been terrible because it's taken DPS characters out of the picture.  Tanks like Zarya and D.Va can output so much damage and they just get healed arse tons by those 3 supports and also provide tons of other utility. 

Kaplan essentially said that GOATs meta wasn't one of the reasons for this change, but it low key was.  You can look back at the patches over the past 6 months.  They've buffed McCree, Junkrat, Sombra, etc to really try to make DPS viable.  They've nerfed Brig into the ground, D.Va, Lucio, etc to try to make GOATs comp less viable and it hasn't worked.  3 tanks and 3 supports is just insanely strong.  This change literally eliminates that, which is a great thing.

Every role will now have a viable part in every meta going forward.  There's so much versatility in the characters that even if you role lock to be a tank, you can still be a DPS tank as Zarya, D.Va or Roadhog.  If your aim is off, you can make huge impacts as DPS by switching to Sombra, Doomfist or Junkrat.  If you lock into a support role and want to make a contribution to team damage and eliminations, you can pick Zenyatta or Moria, while still being able to support the team.

8 minutes ago, showtime said:

To me, the only questionable thing is implementing this into quick play.  QP is not competitive by nature, but I do understand how frustrating some people get when people instalock 4 DPS and you feel like you really don't have a chance to win before the game even begins.  This is remedied by them putting a Quick Play Classic card in the arcade for anyone who wants to play what will now be known as the 'old school way' to play.

Nah let it be in quick play. Competitive needs to be truly competitive. Quick play is just to play whatever. People who try and tell others what to play in QP need to get a life.

One change that we haven't mentioned here yet is that all heroes have ultimate cost increased by 12%, meaning it takes longer to charge ultimates. This is a great change as it makes midfight and fights where ults aren't used more frequent and more important.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

This is by far the worst the game has ever been. GOATS wasn't nearly as prevalent or dominant in every single level of play as double shield is, and DPS queue times are 20 minutes! That's unacceptable, 2/2/2 has only made the game far worse and far more constrained, just like those of us opposed to it happening said it would.

8 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

This is by far the worst the game has ever been. GOATS wasn't nearly as prevalent or dominant in every single level of play as double shield is, and DPS queue times are 20 minutes! That's unacceptable, 2/2/2 has only made the game far worse and far more constrained, just like those of us opposed to it happening said it would.

Disagree. I don't have to hope I can get an okay team comp, and yeah if I want to play DPS I have to wait a bit, but I know I'll be able to do in an environment where the team is going to be balanced and I have a chance to win, I'm not nearly as much at the mercy of other players' whims.

GOATs was everywhere from what I remember.

You want to break down double shield? You start by giving Lucio's old speed back, that in turn makes Rein Zarya viable again.