Round 1, Pick 13: Christian Wilkins

TheKillerNacho

I love the Wilkins pick.  I didn’t think he would be there.....I had him higher than Oliver and 2nd at the DT position right behind Williams.

Im only disappointed that we had Haskins available and didn’t pull the trigger.  If we don’t land Tua or Hebert next draft and Haskins looks good, I’ll be calling for GM Chris Grier to pack his bags and to take his Coach with him.

13 minutes ago, Swampbilly said:

I love the Wilkins pick.  I didn’t think he would be there.....I had him higher than Oliver and 2nd at the DT position right behind Williams.

Im only disappointed that we had Haskins available and didn’t pull the trigger.  If we don’t land Tua or Hebert next draft and Haskins looks good, I’ll be calling for GM Chris Grier to pack his bags and to take his Coach with him.

Plan seems to be for Tua next draft.

Although if we actually trade for Rosen I'm going to lose it

14 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Plan seems to be for Tua next draft.

Although if we actually trade for Rosen I'm going to lose it

It appears to me that we likely threw out a low ball offer for Rosen.....If the Cardinals would have accepted the offer then we wouldn’t have anything keeping us from not going after Tua, especially since the Cards have paid a significant amount of Rosen’s salary so far.  The financial hit of Rosen on the roster wouldn’t have kept us from seeking a QB upgrade next year or the year after IMO.

Im holding off judgement right now, because I understand that Grier has a plan......but I’m going to freak if we don’t land Tua or Hebert next year and Haskins proves to be a franchise QB.

Going back to CW, we finally have an answer on our defense this year, because CW is a very specific type of player. CW is an attacking DT. What that means is he plays his best when he is able to move laterally through the line and get to the RB or QB. He is also very good at defending against stretch plays and screens. What he is very bad at, is attacking straight ahead and going through blocks. CW goes around blockers, not through. He can't bull rush, he doesn't have the function strength to fight through a double team. He is very similar to Godchaux and Taylor, in fact they all have almost the exact same measurables. We saw both Godchaux and Taylor erased when we played against man blocking scheme teams with big O-lineman. CW will have the same problems. However, against a zone blocking scheme with lots of movement up front like trap blocks, and pulling Guards, CW is very slippery and it is hard for the OL to get their hands on him. This is the first real evidence that the Phins are going to run a speed based attacking defense. I love the pick.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ericsvibe said:

Going back to CW, we finally have an answer on our defense this year, because CW is a very specific type of player. CW is an attacking DT. What that means is he plays his best when he is able to move laterally through the line and get to the RB or QB. He is also very good at defending against stretch plays and screens. What he is very bad at, is attacking straight ahead and going through blocks. CW goes around blockers, not through. He can't bull rush, he doesn't have the function strength to fight through a double team. He is very similar to Godchaux and Taylor, in fact they all have almost the exact same measurables. We saw both Godchaux and Taylor erased when we played against man blocking scheme teams with big O-lineman. CW will have the same problems. However, against a zone blocking scheme with lots of movement up front like trap blocks, and pulling Guards, CW is very slippery and it is hard for the OL to get their hands on him. This is the first real evidence that the Phins are going to run a speed based attacking defense. I love the pick.

Your  assessment of his skill set is spot on. Seems a great character too. My worry would be whether he is too similar to the others and will he miss Lawrence and to a lesser extend Ferrell,