Hopkins Extended - 5/$81mm

ET80

https://sports.yahoo.com/texans-agree-large-five-year-extension-wr-deandre-hopkins-231125774.html
Texans agree to large five-year extension with WR DeAndre Hopkins

5 year, $81mm, with $49mm guaranteed. Highest guaranteed money for a WR in NFL history. 

Good on you, 'Nuk. :D

EDIT: Several people got extensions.

- TE CJ Fidorowitz (3/$21.5 - $10mm guaranteed)

- FS Andre Hal (3/$15 - $7mm guaranteed)

- FB Jay Prosch (3/$5.75 - $2.7mm guaranteed)

That Fido number looks big. Not sure how it compares to other TEs. He's been quietly improving. Hal seems reasonable. Extending a FB is curious, but I got no issues overall with the money.

I probably would have waited to give CJ the extension but when O'Brien/Godsey finally decided to make him more active in the passing game he was pretty good. The Hal deal is solid. Rick Smith didnt want to get burned again by letting a good safety leave in free agency like he did Quin. Prosch is pretty decent for a FB so thats a solid deal. 

Nothing to be said about Nuk. Im glad we got him locked up!

57 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Fido got a lot of money for a guy that's produced as little as he has. 

I mean 3 seasons and 75 catches 754 yards and 6 TDs gets him 7 million a year. Yikes. 

At least he's a solid blocker 

I don't disagree. Bulk numbers put ahead of Martellus Bennett (3/$21mm) and just behind Greg Olson (3/$22mm).

I guess/hope they have bigger plans for him. Olson is a 1,000+ yard guy...

Edit - guaranteed money is much lower than league average. He's in between Evan Engram and David Njoku, two rookies. 

Much more reasonable.

5 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

Nah those 2 for sure. Cant think of anyone else deserving of one. 

If Clowney actually puts some numbers behind his dominance, we could have a big problem on our hands. 

One credit I'll give to Smith - he's always managed the cap fairly well. We only had issues in 2010 I think (when we had to cut Eric Winston).

The money for Clowney/McKinney will be huge, but Cushing and Joseph should be off the books (or retained at a cheaper rate). Susan Sua-Filo is on the outs, can probably write off Derek Newton by then...

The money is there, I think.

12 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

So - any thoughts on what's going on with Duane Brown at this point? He's still MIA. No contract really on the horizon with two years left. 

Is he really going to be here?

Eventually he will but lets face it. He has leverage (if our OL wasnt bad he wouldnt). I bet he looking at how bad our OL has been in preseason and laughing his butt off. He trying to force Rick Smith to pony up some cash and pay him. 

2 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

Eventually he will but lets face it. He has leverage (if our OL wasnt bad he wouldnt). I bet he looking at how bad our OL has been in preseason and laughing his butt off. He trying to force Rick Smith to pony up some cash and pay him. 

Thing is - sitting out now means he drops game checks, loses out on pension funds. It's now going to hit his wallet if he continues.

I really wished a deal was worked out - convert some of his remaining deal into a signing bonus and a token year extension. 

I get it, it's a business. But this sets a bad example. I wonder if his Team Captain designation gets removed when he does return...

Nuk's contract

• 2nd highest per year for WRs ($16.2m vs Antonio Brown $17m)
  • Highest guaranteed
  • Only 60% of the contract is guaranteed which is around the top 10 of highest paid WR (Antonio Brown 28%, Julio Jones 66%)

Others

• Prosch is the 6th highest paid fullback
  • Fed is the 12th highest paid TE
  • Hal is the 15th highest paid SS and just about cracks the top 30 safeties overall

Pretty reasonable I would say.

Archived