Rd 1, pick 29 (29) Traded for Clark,Frank DE

Rd 2, Pick 24 (56)Hardman, Mecole WR 

Rd 2, Pick 31 (63)Thornhill, Juan

Rd 3, Pick 21 (84)Saunders, Khalen DT 

Rd 5, Pick 29 (167) Traded to Rams 

Rd 6, Pick 29 (201)Fenton, Rashad CB 

Rd 6, Pick 42 (214)Thompson, Darwin RB 

Rd 7, Pick 2 (216)Allegretti, Nick G/C 

We traded for a player, Frank Clark and traded the 5th round pick to move up for Mecole Harman. How about the trades?

The draft was almost exclusively for defense. The primary exception is a speed WR, but he was the first actual pick. How do you feel about that?

What letter grade does it deserve considering all factors?

J

24 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

The 2019 draft is now over. This is the haul

Rd 1, pick 29 (29) Traded for Clark,Frank DE A++

Rd 2, Pick 24 (56)Hardman, Mecole WR  C+

Rd 2, Pick 31 (63)Thornhill, Juan S A+

Rd 3, Pick 21 (84)Saunders, Khalen DT A-

Rd 5, Pick 29 (167) Traded to Rams 

Rd 6, Pick 29 (201)Fenton, Rashad CB C-

Rd 6, Pick 42 (214)Thompson, Darwin RB B+

Rd 7, Pick 2 (216)Allegretti, Nick G/C C+

We traded for a player, Frank Clark and traded the 5th round pick to move up for Mecole Harman. How about the trades?

The draft was almost exclusively for defense. The primary exception is a speed WR, but he was the first actual pick. How do you feel about that?

What letter grade does it deserve considering all factors?

J

The only pick I'm kinda iffy on is Fenton, personally. Our first 3 picks will most likely be either starters or part of a rotation immediately and I'm a big fan of Darwin's game. Dude can squat 3 of me and he weighs less than 200 lbs. He may be small but he plays like he's a 220 lb back. He reminds me of Darren Sproles but with more lateral quickness.

Fenton and Allegretti both look like developmental guys to me. Overall, I don't think this draft could've ended up much better for us in light of the Tyreek Hill debacle. I'd rate it a solid B.

I'm still surprised we didn't go for Andy Isabella over Mecole. I like them both but I thought Big Red would've liked Isabella more.

Rd 1, pick 29 (29) Traded for Clark,Frank DE

Rd 2, Pick 24 (56)Hardman, Mecole WR 

Rd 2, Pick 31 (63)Thornhill, Juan

Rd 3, Pick 21 (84)Saunders, Khalen DT 

Rd 6, Pick 29 (201)Fenton, Rashad CB 

Rd 6, Pick 42 (214)Thompson, Darwin RB 

Rd 7, Pick 2 (216)Allegretti, Nick G/C 

I like the trade for Clark. He gives them a second beat on the DL. In the same vein I like the Saunders pick, but he has a lot to learn and Clark is ready to play. With Nnadi and Speaks we have a solid core with enough star power to excel,

I love the small trade for Mecole Hardman. There are rumors that at least one other team was targeting Hardman in that part of round #2. Given the subsequent run on WR, I believe it. Andy Isabella was the next rated pure speed receiver. I had him near the end of round #3 but he went #62. He's not going to be another Tyreek Hill, but he might be a younger Jeremy Maclin.

Thornhill was one of the sleepers in various lists. This list liked player A better. That list liked player B better. Both lists liked Thornhill about the same. This is often an indication that a player has obvious talent but is hard to categorize. This can translate into do everything OK but nothing well. Or it can translate into all around stud. We will see which but I like our chances. As a bonus, Thornhill's versatility will give us more chances to use Mathieu's proven versatility

Saunders is someone I should have ranked higher because he is a Senior Bowl stud. My slip was that he did not dominate at his lower level of competition. Looking closer, that may have been coaching. Dontari Poe is the obvious comparison, both good and bad. Poe was massively athletic and huge physically. He was a great player for about a year and a half. I would settle of an excellent spot player if he's good for five years.

The prime rounds netted us an immediate star grade starter and three rotation contributors if not more. As a group,, I give A-

Day three picks are more of a dice roll. Rahshad Fenton is an enigma. He has the tools to be much, much better. Perhaps it was poor coaching. Perhaps he will be a ST monster and dime CB. Perhaps he never suits up. Darwin Thompson is another question mark. Why did he not produce more? Still, he has promise as a situational RB and could be very god on ST. I think the sleeper of the draft may be the last player selected. I would not be at all surprised if the Chiefs started Nick Allagretti at C. Compared to others on the line, he is physically limited. There are pass defense issues and playing  space will always be a problem. That said, he is the ideal size for the position and has the requisite intelligence and poise. They will have to design the blocking schemes to mask his deficiencies, but that's what OL coaches do. 

Late round picks B+ Overall grade B+.

It's not the 2017 draft with Mahomes in Round #1 and Hunt in Round #3, but it will do. 

J

I’ll give it a B.  I like most of the players enough,  hard for me to go much higher with how few picks were made.

3 years down the road, I always like to see 4-5 players from a class still contributing in some fashion.  The hit point on this class needs to be high with the contracts we have coming up. 

I have said more than once that I thought the Chiefs drafted Nick Allegretti to start at C. Here is some evidence:

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2019/5/6/18530669/nick-allegretti-film-review-starting-potential-found-on-day-three

Bottom Line

Nick Allegretti is an fascinating prospect — not only because the team is excited to get him, but also because of his play on the field; we definitely see traits and skills that could make a case for him to start early on. His understanding of blocks at any level, angles in pursuit — and his mentality — could allow him to put his foot in the door as starter competition.

On the other hand, some missteps in footwork and athletic limitations may make him a better candidate to sit a year and take in some NFL coaching; he could become more efficient with his movement to maximize his athleticism.

Either way, there’s reason for hope and confidence in his ability to start in the NFL. Whether it’s in year one or further down the line, Allegretti is the type of player who will get on the field during his career.

After round 3, the draft is a dud.

Chiefs were limited by what they gave up to get Clark. I would have liked to see us get extra picks to use on day 2 instead. Only time will tell if this would have been the best way to go.

This was a good draft for defense. Chiefs needed more DB help beyond Thornhill.  No real CB help and nothing to backup Kelce with. Our interior OL was wrecked by New England and I don't see any real help there either. Teams had to pick up on this. Mahomes will be on the run again this next season.

6 hours ago, mayanfootball said:

After round 3, the draft is a dud.

Chiefs were limited by what they gave up to get Clark. I would have liked to see us get extra picks to use on day 2 instead. Only time will tell if this would have been the best way to go.

This was a good draft for defense. Chiefs needed more DB help beyond Thornhill.  No real CB help and nothing to backup Kelce with. Our interior OL was wrecked by New England and I don't see any real help there either. Teams had to pick up on this. Mahomes will be on the run again this next season.

I see help for the interior OL. He may be 7th round but Allegretti has starting C written all over him. Maybe not Game #1 but soon. In the mean time, Reiter is back and the other four return healthy. Injuries were the bane last year.

The team also got more defensive help than Thornhill. They also acquired Tyronn Mathieo and get Watts back from injury. CB2 looks like Breeland with several possibilities at third CB. Thornhill looks like the nickelback. It's a workable group and better than the group that started last season.

J

• Like 1

4 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

I see help for the interior OL. He may be 7th round but Allegretti has starting C written all over him. Maybe not Game #1 but soon. In the mean time, Reiter is back and the other four return healthy. Injuries were the bane last year.

The team also got more defensive help than Thornhill. They also acquired Tyronn Mathieo and get Watts back from injury. CB2 looks like Breeland with several possibilities at third CB. Thornhill looks like the nickelback. It's a workable group and better than the group that started last season.

J

Throw in Khalil McKenzie and the fact Dr Larry will be back at full health.

16 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

J

Starting Allegretti is sheer speculation at this point. Reiter is basically an unknown too. We'll see how preseason goes for him.

OG is a mess. Both LG and RG. Allen is not a pass blocker.  C.Erving is good only for backup help. K.McKenzie is untested and unknown. LDT is coming off torn ankle ligaments. Full recovery is closer to 2 years, not one. Hence,  his abilities may be restricted this first season back from injury.

Breeland at CB2 is somewhat frightening.  C. Ward,  O. Scandrick at CB are untested and unknown for a full season. Thornhill is listed at FS.

Oh, and Kelce has no real backup. Kelce is coming off ankle surgery.  His status is questionable at this time.

My hope is that cut-down dates release players that our coaches can identify and sign. That and the possibility that rostered players improve and show themselves ready for starting.

Edited by mayanfootball

14 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

Starting Allegretti is sheer speculation at this point. Reiter is basically an unknown too. We'll see how preseason goes for him.

OG is a mess. Both LG and RG. Allen is not a pass blocker.  C.Erving is good only for backup help. K.McKenzie is untested and unknown. LDT is coming off torn ankle ligaments. Full recovery is closer to 2 years, not one. Hence,  his abilities may be restricted this first season back from injury.

Breeland at CB2 is somewhat frightening.  C. Ward,  O. Scandrick at CB are untested and unknown for a full season. Thornhill is listed at FS.

Oh, and Kelce has no real backup. Kelce is coming off ankle surgery.  His status is questionable at this time.

My hope is that cut-down dates release players that our coaches can identify and sign. That and the possibility that rostered players improve and show themselves ready for starting.

I agree with Allegretti. If he was a day one starter he would've been long gone before round 7. I'd like to believe that a late round steal fell to us, but right now it's just PR.

Allen is gone but I agree with the rest. Mahomes will help mask deficiencies but an upgrade would be nice but also near impossible at this point. Having LDT back should help.

Scandrick was a long time starter in Dallas but he's also no longer with the team. Fuller/Breeland is our main two with Fuller moving inside and Ward coming in for nickel sets is my guess. After that, yikes. Thornhill will likely play FS with Mathieu at SS. I'd really like to see Watts get a chance.

This was a really good TE class and we didn't get one. Our depth is uninspiring.

I think that there may be a couple of quality players cut. But we'll see if we bring them in.

Allegretti was drafted to play C and has enough physical limitations that it is not a surprise he lasted to the 7th round. Except for elite players, Cs are often taken late or developed from free agents. He's powerful, smart, tenacious as hell, but not very athletic. That said, he does move pretty well laterally, which is key. In any event, he has been through rookie camp and the enthusiasm increased. I will also remind you that New Orleans drafted Zach Strief and Marquez Colston in the 7th round of 2006. Strief started 9 games at LT his rookie year and played in 158 in a 12 year career. Brian Waters, 6 Pro-Bowl, twice All-Pro, wasn't even drafted. It happens.

I disagree about Cam Irving. He is fine at LG. Last year he was an OT playing a new position. He had a learning curve and needed reps. He has them now Doc Larry may be our best OL when he's healthy. That's saying a lot with Schwatrz around. Reiter is the only legitimate gripe and he's just a place holder.

Breeland is not bad as a CB2. I'd prefer him as depth but he won't be an automatic target. The big thing about the secondary is the new coverage schemes. Everything used to be built around Berry and his ability to do everyting and more beside. Mathieu is a good player, but he isn't Eric Berry in his prime. Three of four starters are pretty set--Fuller/Breeland/Mathieu. I would guess Watts as the fourth and Thornhill the nickel. Another possibility is that Thornhill plays CF and the nickelback is Nelson or Watts as needed. Regardless, Thornhill brings a lot of coverage skills but also physicality. We could cover well enough last year. Hopefully the run support is better.

True gripe about not getting another TE. With the depth of the draft free agents should be good. 

Given all the changes, I doubt the defense is even as good as last year, at least in September. Pass rush took a big hit and Spagnuolo bases his defenses on pressure. Clark will offset some of that and Speaks has possibilities. Thank goodness for Chris Jones. He may make All-Pro if things go well. 

J

• Like 2

Very well said, J. I think we have 4 safeties who will all see playing time. In essence, I see Thornhill and Mathieu being weird versions of nickel corner/safety hybrids for us with Watts/Lucas filling in for some deep coverage. If we don't have a fair amount of 3 safety personnel sets, I'll be surprised. Because of that, after some careful cautious thought, I'm not nearly as concerned about our secondary as I was a month ago.