2020 Draft Talk

swede700

51 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I agree, I would still take AJ Terrell over him if he is there but I would take Gladney over Diggs or Fulton all day long.  He is tough and fights for the football, I like him a lot the more I watch him.  Honestly it would suck if he is there and they do not take him.  Then again if they do indeed trade Harris, safety becomes a massive need and Delpit, McKinney or Winfield would be targets 1st round I think, but maybe they could go S and CB 1st round.  

I like Gladney a lot more than Terrell. That national championship game went real bad for AJ...

2 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

I like Gladney a lot more than Terrell. That national championship game went real bad for AJ...

Terrell ran a 4.37 40 at his pro day and is a better tackler and striker in the open field than Gladney, has played better against better competition arguably than Gladney has especially end of season, two years ago Terrell was a star for Clemson on that title run.  Sure AJ had a rough championship game but Fulton arguably played worse I thought.  Either one I would be happy with though between Terrell and Gladney.

55 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

Him or Igbinoghene for me. Love the attitude that both those guys have.

I think Igbinoghene is getting a little overrated because of his return skills and speed, no way he should be a 1st or 2nd round pick I feel.  He is not super natural at CB like other Auburn DBs like Carlton Davis who was a much better tackler and more active hands in coverage from a few years back.  A lot of the Auburn DBs like Igbinoghene and Daniel Thomas I feel are being a little overrated, at times during the season they did not play all that well I thought.

26 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I think Igbinoghene is getting a little overrated because of his return skills and speed, no way he should be a 1st or 2nd round pick I feel.  He is not super natural at CB like other Auburn DBs like Carlton Davis who was a much better tackler and more active hands in coverage from a few years back.  A lot of the Auburn DBs like Igbinoghene and Daniel Thomas I feel are being a little overrated, at times during the season they did not play all that well I thought.

In the games I watched, I saw a corner that was in wide receiver's back pockets bugging the hell out of them constantly. He's ultra confident which I value very highly in cornerbacks. I love a corner who isn't afraid to talk some smack, and he backs it up. He's relatively new to the position, but I think he's already a long ways down the road in his development. With his skills and demeanor, I think he would be a perfect fit for a guy that Zimmer and co. would develop into the next great Vikings corner. Him and Gladney are probably tied for me.

5 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

In the games I watched, I saw a corner that was in wide receiver's back pockets bugging the hell out of them constantly. He's ultra confident which I value very highly in cornerbacks. I love a corner who isn't afraid to talk some smack, and he backs it up. He's relatively new to the position, but I think he's already a long ways down the road in his development. With his skills and demeanor, I think he would be a perfect fit for a guy that Zimmer and co. would develop into the next great Vikings corner. Him and Gladney are probably tied for me.

Igbinoghene honestly I only took notice of him till that Gophers bowl game and most of that was the kick return for a TD.  He has 1 INT in two years starting at Auburn and that is a massive what the hell.  And that D was all about the front 7 to me, not the secondary.  They benefited greatly by having the best starting front four DL in college football last year.  Good player but there are more than a few better than him at the position.  I would not mind getting him but only ideally 4th-5th round range.  

I love confident corners as well but it is not like he was even the best in the conference much less best in the nation.  Not sure he ever made an all conference team.

Edited by Ozzy

9 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Igbinoghene honestly I only took notice of him till that Gophers bowl game and most of that was the kick return for a TD.  He has 1 INT in two years starting at Auburn and that is a massive what the hell.  And that D was all about the front 7 to me, not the secondary.  They benefited greatly by having the best starting front four DL in college football last year.  Good player but there are more than a few better than him at the position.  I would not mind getting him but only ideally 4th-5th round range.  

I love confident corners as well but it is not like he was even the best in the conference much less best in the nation.  Not sure he ever made an all conference team.

To each their own! I don't know if it's fair to discount his play because of their front 7 though when Terrell played on Clemson (and had a down year when all their stud DL left), Fulton played for LSU, and Diggs played for Alabama. Most of the top corners played on very talented defenses. If you think he has too many technical flaws I get it, but saying he's a 4th rounder because he played on a talented defense isn't a strong argument.

He's been playing corner for 2 years and I think the sky is the limit for him.

9 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

To each their own! I don't know if it's fair to discount his play because of their front 7 though when Terrell played on Clemson (and had a down year when all their stud DL left), Fulton played for LSU, and Diggs played for Alabama. Most of the top corners played on very talented defenses. If you think he has too many technical flaws I get it, but saying he's a 4th rounder because he played on a talented defense isn't a strong argument.

He's been playing corner for 2 years and I think the sky is the limit for him.

I watched Auburn many times last year and this year, and rarely did I think wow that is a baller out there at corner.  Those other guys it was up and down sure, but I never once did not see their talent on the field in regards to Terrell, Diggs or Fulton etc.  I still say Igbinoghene's standout game was against the Gophers and if he did not have that game he probably would have never went out for the draft.  Has decent toughness, good athlete but at times when beat in coverage he panics and just throws his body around hoping to do something. 

His return ability makes him interesting but see how that has not helped Mike Hughes worth a damn in the NFL honestly, showed that promise in college but has done little to nothing as a return man in the NFL.  So will see where he goes, still if the Vikings take that kid 1st round they are nuts because he is not a 1st round talent or a 2nd round talent.  Also for a track guy I expected his combine to be much better than it was, not awful but not amazing either.

5 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I watched Auburn many times last year and this year, and rarely did I think wow that is a baller out there at corner.  Those other guys it was up and down sure, but I never once did not see their talent on the field in regards to Terrell, Diggs or Fulton etc.  I still say Igbinoghene's standout game was against the Gophers and if he did not have that game he probably would have never went out for the draft.  Has decent toughness, good athlete but at times when beat in coverage he panics and just throws his body around hoping to do something. 

His return ability makes him interesting but see how that has not helped Mike Hughes worth a damn in the NFL honestly, showed that promise in college but has done little to nothing as a return man in the NFL.  So will see where he goes, still if the Vikings take that kid 1st round they are nuts because he is not a 1st round talent or a 2nd round talent.  Also for a track guy I expected his combine to be much better than it was, not awful but not amazing either.

Fair enough! I hope we take him in the first and he proves you very wrong!

13 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

You watch Auburn this year or last before the Gopher game and thought that highly of him as a CB?  

I love watching him. I just got into his tape recently. I don't watch a ton of college football during the season. He definitely isn't a finished product, but I think if you trust your defensive coaches he's got an insanely high ceiling. Like I said he's only been playing corner for 2 years so there are definitely some things to work on, but his ability to stay on a receivers hip in and out of breaks it pretty special in my opinion. He's one of the guys I'm really excited about. I'm sure you have plenty of guys you have that feeling about as well.

4 hours ago, Kparty15 said:

I think Justin Jefferson is overrated.  He would be a good option in the 2nd round though.  He mostly played out of the slot at LSU and doesn’t have a ton of experience playing split end or flanker.  Of the WRs that we already have Adam Thielen is best from the slot even though he is able to play outside, Chad Beebe is exclusively a slot WR, and Tajae Sharpe plays from the slot a lot too.  Since Jefferson got to play on the same offense as Ja’Marr Chase he has never had to be the number one option on his team and would rarely draw the attention of a teams best defender.  Most teams would have to double or triple team Chase giving Jefferson more opportunities.  I haven’t seen a ton of run blocking from Jefferson either.  Both Tee Higgins and Denzel Mims have had to be their teams “go to” guy, drawing the top defenders, winning on the outside, and excelling in jump ball situations.  With how many 2 WR sets that we run it significantly decreases the value of a slot WR and increases the need for a big outside WR.  People were worried that Higgins might be slow because he didn’t run at the combine and ran a 4.7 in high school, but he ran a 4.43 at his pro day.  He has proven to be a top option on a top 5 team in the country and has put up just as good of stats as DeAndre Hopkins and Sammy Watkins at the same school.  He would be a top 10 pick in a less WR deep draft.  Denzel Mims might be the best run blocking WR in the whole draft.  Mims is extremely large and physical and ran the same 40 yard dash time as Randy Moss did at the combine.  People hate on Mims saying he isn’t a good route runner because Baylor only asked him to run the same 3-4 routes, but he disproved that notion at the Senior Bowl practices showing extremely quick feet and great route running ability.  All 3 of these guys are pretty good route runners.  I just think that the top 4 WRs in this draft are Jerry Jeudy, CeeDee Lamb, Tee Higgins, and Denzel Mims and those guys are a lot more closely graded than people think.  Then the tier below them would include Henry Ruggs, Justin Jefferson, Laviska Shenault, Brandon Aiyuk, and maybe Michael Pittman Jr.

Tee Higgins ran a 4.54 40 and he’s really not that athletic. Here is his RAS box. 
https://relativeathleticscores.com/2020/02/09/tee-higgins-ras/

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Terrell ran a 4.37 40 at his pro day and is a better tackler and striker in the open field than Gladney, has played better against better competition arguably than Gladney has especially end of season, two years ago Terrell was a star for Clemson on that title run.  Sure AJ had a rough championship game but Fulton arguably played worse I thought.  Either one I would be happy with though between Terrell and Gladney.

I would prefer Gladney, then Fulton, then Terrell. 

5 hours ago, vikestyle said:

Justin Jefferson was the #1 wide receiver at LSU in 2018 and had double the yards, receptions, and touchdowns of anyone else on the team, so saying he has never been the #1 receiver isn't accurate.

To be fair Ja’Marr Chase was already on the roster in 2018 even though he only saw a limited amount of snaps.  In 2018 Justin Jefferson only had 875 yards and 6 touchdowns and that was with Joe Burrow at QB.  That’s not overly impressive to me.  I haven’t look at all of the LSU stats from the past two years, but it almost looks to me like once Ja’Marr Chase was made a starter then the entire offense took off.

2 hours ago, battle2heaven said:

Tee Higgins ran a 4.54 40 and he’s really not that athletic. Here is his RAS box. 
https://relativeathleticscores.com/2020/02/09/tee-higgins-ras/

Ok.  I’ve seen different reputable sites posting different numbers so there might be slight discrepancy between what different people times him at.  Either way though he is still an excellent route runner.  Even if he did run a 4.54 that still puts his floor where I already had it comparing him to Sidney Rice who ran a 4.53 at his pro day.  I think even at that floor he could be a #1 WR.

4 minutes ago, Kparty15 said:

To be fair Ja’Marr Chase was already on the roster in 2018 even though he only saw a limited amount of snaps.  In 2018 Justin Jefferson only had 875 yards and 6 touchdowns and that was with Joe Burrow at QB.  That’s not overly impressive to me.  I haven’t look at all of the LSU stats from the past two years, but it almost looks to me like once Ja’Marr Chase was made a starter then the entire offense took off.

Joe Burrow took an enormous step in 2019. Chase definitely helped, but Burrow was a different QB in 2019. 

• Like 2