2020 Draft Talk

swede700

Did you know:  In the entire history of the Minnesota Vikings franchise, they have drafted ZERO offensive linemen from Auburn, Georgia and Michigan, and only ONE from LSU (Godfrey Zaunbrecher in rd 11 of 1970)?  That guy (unsurprisingly, considering how low he was drafted) never played enough to register at Pro Football Focus, which is where I looked this up btw. 

This might be a great year to break that streak.

Using the Draft Network's overall rankings:

18.  OT Andrew Thomas, Georgia

38. IOL Cesar Ruiz, Michigan

44. IOL Lloyd Cushenberry III,  LSU

64.  OT Prince Tega Wanogho, Auburn

75.  OT Saahdiq Charles, LSU

89.  OT Isaiah Wilson, Georgia

97.  IOL Ben Bredeson, Michigan

109.  IOL Damien Lewis, LSU

133. OT Jack Driscoll, Auburn

140.  IOL Solomon Kindley, Georgia

366. OT John Runyon, Michigan

395.  OT Adrian Magee, LSU

Edited by Hyperborean
can't sepll gud

28 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

I believe in this draft, the Vikings should double dip at receiver.

Which combination would you prefer?

Justin Jefferson and someone like Antonio Gandy Golden, Bryan Edwards or Michael PIttman?

Or

Denzel Mims and someone like Van Jefferson, Devin Dunvernay or Tyler Johnson?

Definitely Mims and Jefferson for me.  We need somebody to take the top off a defense (Mims) and a Thielen-type route runner (Jefferson).  That would be a great draft.

18 minutes ago, Hyperborean said:

Definitely Mims and Jefferson for me.  We need somebody to take the top off a defense (Mims) and a Thielen-type route runner (Jefferson).  That would be a great draft.

right now I'm leaning towards something like this on days 1 and 2 if there are no trades

22 - CB Kristian Fulton

25- WR Denzel Mims

58 - DT Justin Madubuike

89 -OG Robert Hunt

105 - WR Van Jefferson

If the chips fall like this, it'd be a dream draft.

1 hour ago, battle2heaven said:

I believe in this draft, the Vikings should double dip at receiver.

Which combination would you prefer?

Justin Jefferson and someone like Antonio Gandy Golden, Bryan Edwards or Michael PIttman?

Or

Denzel Mims and someone like Van Jefferson, Devin Dunvernay or Tyler Johnson?

Of those 2 options, it's clearly option A for me, and it's not even close.  I like Mims, but the 3 options listed with Jefferson are far superior options, for me at least.

I do think they'll grab 2 WRs in the draft, but I don't expect the 2nd WR to come as early as the 2nd options you've given.  I fully expect them to wait on the 2nd WR until the 6th/7th round, which will be some guy who can play special teams/return kicks. 

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

Of those 2 options, it's clearly option A for me, and it's not even close.  I like Mims, but the 3 options listed with Jefferson are far superior options, for me at least.

I do think they'll grab 2 WRs in the draft, but I don't expect the 2nd WR to come as early as the 2nd options you've given.  I fully expect them to wait on the 2nd WR until the 6th/7th round, which will be some guy who can play special teams/return kicks. 

I have a feeling Vikings are going to move around a lot in this draft and position themselves with at least 5 day 2 picks. They'll stay at either 22 or 25, but then trade down with the other pick. After a top 1st round of 10-12 prospects, day 2 is where the value is at. Just makes a lot of sense to gobble up multiple players at multiple positions of need going that route. 

21 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

With Tajae Sharp being added, I don’t really see the need to draft 2 wr’s w/ our first 5 picks. 

we need OL/DL/CB help much more than WR help. 

I thought even with Diggs they needed to probably pick a WR in the 3rd or 4th. I think their WR hole is bigger than anything other than maybe QB. They have 1 starting caliber WR. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, perrynoid said:

You can just type their name into a search engine, or youtube, and have your pick of highlight videos.

I was just wondering if there was a more specific place people went where it wasn't just highlights

Edited by byuvike88

2 minutes ago, byuvike88 said:

I thought even with Diggs they needed to probably pick a WR in the 3rd or 4th. I think their WR hole is bigger than anything other than maybe QB. They have 1 starting caliber WR. 

First off, we have no need at QB. And WR’s are just like RB’s. There are a lot of them in the later rounds. 

Again, tell me what rounds Diggs and Thielen were in? Much bigger needs ( I believe anyway ) then WR. DT, DE, CB, and O-line.

13 minutes ago, Vikes22 said:

First off, we have no need at QB. And WR’s are just like RB’s. There are a lot of them in the later rounds. 

Again, tell me what rounds Diggs and Thielen were in? Much bigger needs ( I believe anyway ) then WR. DT, DE, CB, and O-line.

Sorry I meant CB, I apologize if that offended you. You can't rely on the fact that Diggs and Thielen were late round picks/undrafted. The vast majority of those don't turn out. For every Diggs you get in the 5th you'll get many more who don't ever turn out. 

I get what people are saying about DT being a need but I don't think the team sees it that way. They have Stephen and Pierce as starters with Johnson, Watts, Holmes, and Hercules as back ups. That's much deeper than Johnson and Sharpe at WR. Ifeadi is ready to start at DE and Zettell can provide nice depth but yes it is still a need. CB I will agree is a bigger need than WR, and I think O-line is about the same as WR. 

Edited by byuvike88

5 minutes ago, Vikes22 said:

If finding Top 5-10 caliber WR's in later rounds was that easy, everyone would be doing it. Diggs and Thielen are more so outliers than the norm. This year does have a lot of WR talent as it stands now, but we'll see how many of them turn out to be starter quality.

I don't see the Vikings spending two 1st on WRs maybe only one. The offense is 2WR 2TE run-based scheme. I expect Irv Smith to fill the 2nd and Kyle to be 3rd. I was cooling on Higgins but I'm back on his bandwagon. He never going to turn heads at the combine. His production you can't ignore and against top CBs he gets the job done.  Higgins not the fastest neither is Nuke or Thomas.   

Edited by dc_vikingfan

12 minutes ago, NorthCountryEvo said:

If finding Top 5-10 caliber WR's in later rounds was that easy, everyone would be doing it. Diggs and Thielen are more so outliers than the norm. This year does have a lot of WR talent as it stands now, but we'll see how many of them turn out to be starter quality.

The top 20 WR’s last year in the NFL, 6 of them are 1st round picks.. The other 14 were after round 1. 

I’ll take my chances after the 1st round. That’s just me.

Just now, Vikes22 said:

The top 20 WR’s last year in the NFL, 6 of them are 1st round picks.. The other 14 were after round 1. 

I personally would like to wait on WR until after the 1st as well. I just don't like the argument that people use constantly of "Diggs was a 5th rounder, Thielen was undrafted, we can get a WR in the later rounds". The draft is a crap shoot, and both those guys performed way above what was expected. Hopefully we capture that lightning again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vikes22 said:

The post I was referring to was mentioning not taking one in the first 3 rounds. I don't necessarily think that they need to take one in round 1,  but I think it should definitely be addressed before day 3. 

And people should not be using Sharpe as  reason for thinking the problem is solved. He and Bisi can play WR3 and WR4 but this notion that he is the replacement for Diggs is unrealistic. 

• Like 1