2020 Draft Talk

swede700

Is there even an OG worth taking in the first two rounds. I get that it’s a need by why take a 4th round rated prospect or draft a Center who may have never played Guard to fill that need so early. 

Left Tackle should be the only OL spot in consideration in the first two rounds. That player would either start at LG and move to LT in a year or Reiff would kick inside immediately. 

This is why I’d advocate for Reiff to be released or traded. If MN takes an OL early, it’s to play LT in my opinion and Reiff is a very costly experiment at LG. You could get Kline back much cheaper and he’d probably be a better option than Reiff at LG. Hell, even Elflein may be a better Guard than Reiff for all we know.

12 hours ago, byuvike88 said:

Again I am going to disagree. I think they could definitely use a pass rushing 3 tech but there really isn't a lot of room for them on the roster. 

I feel like people are forgetting how crippling not having talented wide outs can be. Go watch the Eagles offense or the Patriots offense last year. I get that the Vikings are a run first team but you can't run out an offense with Thielen, Bisi, Sharpe and a late round WR. 

Watts flashed year, Johnson had moments, and Pierce was just signed.  Stephen drives me nuts and I wish they didn't resign him to the money they did last year and I've been wanting a more pass rushing tackle for a while but it doesn't seem to be that high of a priority for the team. 

They went to the playoffs with a washed-up Mike Wallace, a rookie Stefon Diggs, Charles Johnson and Cordarrelle Patterson.

Edited by swede700

Just now, Duluther said:

Can YGM or Epenesa play DE in a 3-4? 

If asked to and depending on the scheme they both could.  I think ideally they would not be and arguably YGM would be better as a OLB in a 3/4 than a DE.  But either one would fit in a system like the Ravens who have massive DEs in that 3/4, but other defensive schemes they could if asked sure.  Kinlaw, Madubuike, Davidson, Raekwon Davis and Leki Fotu would be better 3/4 DEs than those two however, so it would not be a great fit I do not believe.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

That sounds great but who in the world would that be outside of Josh Jones or Austin Jackson and even one of them could be gone so who is the 2nd OL?  YGM and Epenesa at points in this process were both top 15 picks, if they drop which they could it would be foolish not taking one of them.  

It would be Jones and Jackson. Jackson would play OG. If 1 of those 2 guys are gone, then absolutely I would take YGM in a heart beat. I just want a really good O-line right now. That, to me, gets us over the hump.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

So, am I hearing that there are two camps forming as to what to do with the first round picks?  It seems as if one camp wants to go cornerback with both (or CB and 3TDT), while the second group wants to go OT and OG (or OT and WR). 

It is becoming clearer to me that the Vikings cannot possibly upgrade all the positions that are presently diminished by free agency.  So, I think that the priority should be to upgrade the offensive line as much as possible, and pray to God that the team can stitch together a cornerback group that won't be completely embarrassing.  But, we will not be able to maximize Cousins' talents until the line is stronger.  If they are spending all that money on him, they need to do a better job of protecting that investment. 

I think the 3rd group is: one offense and one defense.

I think the best utilization will be OT (one offense) and CB (one defense).

39 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

As the roster is currently constructed, it just doesn’t make a lot of sense. The RT position is set, both at starter and backup. Bradbury is going to get at least another year, and with Jones and Elflein on the roster the C position is set. Reiff isn’t going anywhere, so he’s either sticking at LT, or getting kicked inside to LG. Either way, one of those positions is locked in for this year. That leaves one spot on the left side, and RG. While I wouldn’t be shocked to see Kline get brought back, the team let him go because they obviously feel that someone (Samia?) can replace him. And if the team feels confident enough in that player to cut Kline, they aren’t going to use a 1st, or likely even a 2nd, on a guard for the right side. So, that realistically only leaves one spot on the left side that we’re likely going to see a starter drafted.  

Whereas the team lost three starters in the secondary, and probably only has one player on roster to adequately replace one of the three. I think it’s far more likely that we see DB get doubled up in the first than OL. 

Since Spielman got here in 2007 the Vikings have not selected a DE higher than the 3rd round, and they’ve been quite successful using that model. I wouldn’t expect them to change it now.

I should have said that I rather double up on OL, compared to doubling up on CB.... looking from a long term point of view.

Just because Vikings lost WR (Diggs) and CBs (Waynes, Rhodes, Mack), doesn't necessary mean Vikings should use the top draft picks there.

I think adding talent at the most important positions (for the Vikings) [OT, CB, 3T] is more important than adding talent at the position holes [WR, CB2].

Edited by CriminalMind

12 minutes ago, Vikes22 said:

It would be Jones and Jackson. Jackson would play OG. If 1 of those 2 guys are gone, then absolutely I would take YGM in a heart beat. I just want a really good O-line right now. That, to me, gets us over the hump.

Are you talking about Austin Jackson?  Not sure he has the toughness to play OG or the stout point of contact strength, would be a waste putting him at OG I feel but at least he is worth a 1st round pick unlike Jonah Jackson who is not the best zone blocking scheme fit but is the best true OG in the draft.  

24 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Are you talking about Austin Jackson?  Not sure he has the toughness to play OG or the stout point of contact strength, would be a waste putting him at OG I feel but at least he is worth a 1st round pick unlike Jonah Jackson who is not the best zone blocking scheme fit but is the best true OG in the draft.  

Yes, Austin Jackson. I believe he would be fine. But, we might be able to find one later in the draft.

51 minutes ago, swede700 said:

They went to the playoffs with a washed-up Mike Wallace, a rookie Stefon Diggs, Charles Johnson and Cordarrelle Patterson.

Johnson and Patterson did very little that season (11 catches between them).  Jarius Wright had 34 though.  Since our passing offense was at the bottom of the NFL then (and I think Zimmer wants to return it there) I would attribute that inept playoff visit to the defense and an all-pro RB.