2019 Offseason Trade Rumors & Free Agency Thread

resilient part 2

9 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Plus, adding Conley will greatly elevate Mitchell's game. The difference between Conley and Rubio is immense. 

9 minutes ago, showtime said:

The thing about Mitchell is, it's not guaranteed he takes the next step and continues to progress.  Dude might end up just being a good player who never takes the next step.  In the Utah Jazz thread, I said he has the potential to be a Damian Lillard-esque type of player, but he needs to continue to progress.  There are guys who come into the league and have played that have had the potential to be really good/great if they could just take the next step, but they never could.

Five years from now, I wouldn't be surprised to see Mitchell be an annual all-star type player and a max quality player who is one of the top 10-12 players in the NBA.  But I also wouldn't be surprised if he never reaches that potential and is just a chucker that would be best served coming off of someone's bench as a 6th man.

That's my whole thing.  If that's a team's best player... someone who I'm so unsure about - that's why they can't contend for a title this upcoming year.  This year, I need to see Mitchell take the next step.  If he can, then we'll be talking in 2020/21.  But if he can't, the Jazz will just stay as a really good team that will lose every year in the playoffs.

See quote above yours. As it concerns the Jazz in 2019-2020, Mitchell will benefit from an improved supporting cast as will the teams success of course. Mitchell doesn't need to be a superstar yet for the Jazz to be capable of taking down a threat like the Lakers. It is unlikely the Jazz win without Mitchell playing like a superstar, but it's not a certainty they would lose either because the cast around Mitchell is perhaps good enough.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Durant isn't an alpha, or at least he hasn't up until this point in his career.

Yea, but Durant made an exception to go to someone else's team because he wanted to win a ring.  He left when he could and now the Nets are his team.

Just now, The LBC said:

I realize that Beal plays the 2 and the Magic have been in PG hell for longer than I can remember, so I'm really not sure the fit, but I feel like I'd rather have him than Russ, especially considering the later part of Russ' contract when he hits his mid-30's.  Doesn't he have something like a $46 million player option in his age-34 year?

$47

Russ contract is bad.

I think Washington want to dump Walls contract with Beal but also want an asset. Idk how that’s gonna go down. 

1 minute ago, The LBC said:

I realize that Beal plays the 2 and the Magic have been in PG hell for longer than I can remember, so I'm really not sure the fit, but I feel like I'd rather have him than Russ, especially considering the later part of Russ' contract when he hits his mid-30's.  Doesn't he have something like a $46 million player option in his age-34 year?

Definitely.  I would also rather have Beal over Westbrook.

Just now, kyle21121 said:

$47

Russ contract is bad.

I think Washington want to dump Walls contract with Beal but also want an asset. Idk how that’s gonna go down. 

Whew.  Is John Wall even tradeable at this point?  The guys contract is absolutely atrocious.  Who in the heck is going to trade for that?

1 minute ago, seminoles1 said:

Very similar? The Clippers have the best bench duo in the NBA. The Lakers have Kyle Kuzma and KCP.

I'd prefer the Lakers' starting lineup.  Feel it has better balance.

9 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He missed all of last summer and was out of shape to start the season. The last 44 he absolutely played at a superstar level, check the stats. He struggled in the playoffs but he had an injured Rubio/Ingles as his #2/#3 option... AD/LeBron wouldn't have even made the playoffs with those two as their other primary offensive weapons. 

Your premise is thoroughly unsubstantiated and based on hypothetical scenarios that are of your own biased narration.

3 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

See quote above yours. As it concerns the Jazz in 2019-2020, Mitchell will benefit from an improved supporting cast as will the teams success of course. Mitchell doesn't need to be a superstar yet for the Jazz to be capable of taking down a threat like the Lakers. It is unlikely the Jazz win without Mitchell playing like a superstar, but it's not a certainty they would lose either because the cast around Mitchell is perhaps good enough.

The Jazz had almost zero offensive weapons outside of Mitchell last year. Now they have Conley who averaged 21/6 and Bojan who averaged 21.5 on 50% FG and 42% 3FG when Oladipo went down. They're going to be a much improved team next year. 

1 minute ago, showtime said:

Whew.  Is John Wall even tradeable at this point?  The guys contract is absolutely atrocious.  Who in the heck is going to trade for that?

I can’t see that scenario happening. Washington is gonna need to relent on something. They are a mess right now. Maybe they are hoping someone panics. 

1 minute ago, DoleINGout said:

Your premise is thoroughly unsubstantiated and based on hypothetical scenarios that are of your own biased narration.

AD couldn't go .500 with Jrue Holiday and LeBron was 28-27 with Kuzma/Ingram/Ball last season... Mitchell averaging 27/5/5 the last 44 is unsubstantiated that he can be a superstar in this league? Okay... 

7 minutes ago, showtime said:

I'm sure he loves Doc Rivers.  He's also friends with LeBron and Kobe as well.  I just don't think a guy like Kawhi Leonard or Kevin Durant would want to play with LeBron or Kobe.  LeBron and Kobe are alphas.  Durant and Kawhi are also alphas. Someone like Anthony Davis, regardless of how good he is, is not an alpha.  Paul George is not an alpha.  It works better for players like Davis and George to play with guys like LeBron and Kawhi.

Obviously, Kawhi is not going to ever say he doesn't want to play with LeBron, but Kawhi is arguably the best player in the world.  He wants to be the man on a winner.  He wouldn't be that on the Lakers because LeBron is the man there.

That's all fine and good with maybe slivers of truth to it but Kawhi was reportedly choosing the Lakers before the Clippers acquired Paul George.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'd prefer the Lakers' starting lineup.  Feel it has better balance.

What are the two projected starting lineups if both teams are fully healthy?  I'll be able to tell who's lineup is better once I see the rosters.

Just now, showtime said:

What are the two projected starting lineups if both teams are fully healthy?  I'll be able to tell who's lineup is better once I see the rosters.

Rajon Rondo/Danny Green/LeBron James/Anthony Davis/DeMarcus Cousins vs. Patrick Beverley/Landry ShametPaul George/Kawhi Leonard/Ivica Zubac.  Or at least that's what ESPN has listed.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Rajon Rondo/Danny Green/LeBron James/Anthony Davis/DeMarcus Cousins vs. Patrick Beverley/Landry ShametPaul George/Kawhi Leonard/Ivica Zubac.  Or at least that's what ESPN has listed.

Beverley + Shamet > Rondo + Green

Kawhi + PG > LeBron + AD

Zuback > Cousins 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

The Jazz had almost zero offensive weapons outside of Mitchell last year. Now they have Conley who averaged 21/6 and Bojan who averaged 21.5 on 50% FG and 42% 3FG when Oladipo went down. They're going to be a much improved team next year. 

We all agree the Jazz are going to improve, but wait, what about Mitchell/Ingles > LeBron/AD?

Even with those drastic improvements, it's still less expected and probably less likely too that the Jazz will be able to win a best of seven game series in the playoffs against the Lakers. You love to ignore the fact that all of these stats don't account for LeBron James and Anthony Davis playing together. Those guys played on separate team in 2018 and now they're together with an impressive collection of other talent to matchup with the Jazz as well.

Archived