2019 NBA Finals - (1) Golden State Warriors vs (2) Toronto Raptors (TOR leads 3-2)

beekay414

Just now, champ11 said:

Not for the Warriors. There was a slim chance he would come back healthy or close to 100% and a 100% Boogie was a decent fit with the Warriors but had complete diminishing returns. There was no reason to take that gamble when they could have paid a good role player like Ed Davis. And this honestly isn't hindsight. It was an arrogant play and it really didn't work out.

Ed Davis would have done exactly what this series? Come on man, Ed f'n Davis? In a series where the Warriors need offense against this top level defense? What are we even doing here?

So you thought he was going to suffer this type of quad injury when he signed? 

7 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

To be honest, they are no different than the Lakers in the early 00 dynasty. That team was looked upon as this unstoppable force, yet they very well could have lost multiple series during that run. This is why I say hindsight makes things look a whole a lot differently down the road. You're saying this about Toronto, but would you be saying this if they win another title say next year and go to the finals again in 2021? Then they become a historic team themselves right? 

Every championship team is a finished product, and if they win next year they are a different finished product. I agree with you about the Warriors 1st year seemed as luck to some at the time but is more legitimized now, but I don't look at it that way. All of these Warriors teams were different teams, and all of those Cavs teams were different teams. Their play varied a lot.

9 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Ed Davis would have done exactly what this series? Come on man, Ed f'n Davis? In a series where the Warriors need offense against this top level defense? What are we even doing here?

So you thought he was going to suffer this type of quad injury when he signed? 

I mean I just didn't see a dude needing a full year of recovery off one of the worst injuries in sports being able to get healthy for a 4 month stretch run. Not shocking at all that he got hurt again. 

Warriors are in trouble either way with these injuries. With a healthy roster...yes a solid role player like Ed Davis would be more valuable than 50% healthy Boogie. Like you said, Jerbko and Bell stink. 

It was absurd for a team that has iffy depth to use their 5m exception on a massive dude with an achilles injury. I don't think that's a hot take

Just now, Mossburg said:

Every championship team is a finished product, and if they win next year they are a different finished product.

Right, but you can't tell me multiple title runs by a team doesn't change the outlook of the team. LIS, after 2015 finals everyone talked about the injuries...And then a few years later most say, Oh well, the Warriors would have won anyways!

Same thing with the Lakers dynasty run. Put up a hypothetical match up and that team fares well with damn near anyone. Yet, they were close to losing two of three series during that run. 

As fans, we will just care about who the title and what it does for the legacy of that team and really the star player. Kawhi's legacy gets a huge boost with this title and his playoff run in totality. 

The what if games? Meh...............

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Right, but you can't tell me multiple title runs by a team doesn't change the outlook of the team. LIS, after 2015 finals everyone talked about the injuries...And then a few years later most say, Oh well, the Warriors would have won anyways!

Same thing with the Lakers dynasty run. Put up a hypothetical match up and that team fares well with damn near anyone. Yet, they were close to losing two of three series during that run. 

As fans, we will just care about who the title and what it does for the legacy of that team and really the star player. Kawhi's legacy gets a huge boost with this title and his playoff run in totality. 

The what if games? Meh...............

I edited my post and I agree that it does for many others, but I don't really think of it that way.

Just now, champ11 said:

I mean I just didn't see a dude needing a full year of recovery off one of the worst injuries in sports being able to get healthy for a 4 month stretch run. Not shocking at all that he got hurt again. 

Warriors are in trouble either way with these injuries. With a healthy roster...yes a solid role player like Ed Davis would be more valuable than 50% healthy Boogie. Like you said, Jerbko and Bell stink. 

It was absurd for a team that has iffy depth to use their 5m exception on a massive dude with an achilles injury. I don't think that's a hot take

Nah, I think it is absurd you are questioning the Warriors signing someone like Boogie for 5M lol. 

9 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Nah, I think it is absurd you are questioning the Warriors signing someone like Boogie for 5M lol. 

Well it seems to be working out for them! 

Hey...Boogie got to show up the league for not wanting to pay dude coming off an achilles and the Warriors got to have their fun little reclamation project during the season like they had with Nick Young

4 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Well it seems to be working out for them! 

Hey...Boogie got to show up the league for not wanting to pay dude coming off an achilles and the Warriors got to have their fun little reclamation project during the season like they had with Nick Young

It helped them win game 2 correct? They don't win that game without him. So yeah, it has worked out just fine! Thank you for asking. By the way, did ya'll really lose to a team the Dubs slapped around in four games????

55 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

If they win, no one outside of Toronto will care. It will feel cheap. People will downgrade it for years to come.

Do people do that to the 2015 Warriors banner with an injured Love and Kyrie? Interesting take.

1 hour ago, Bullet Club said:

You know exactly what I mean by weak title. No one cares what a casual fan thinks. Those are the same people saying Kobe > LeBron and other nonsense like that. I don't why you're getting offended. No one will care about this if they win. Toronto fans will be over the moon and then get the "yeah but" for years to come. It counts as a title but for a team winning their first ever it would probably be the weakest or least respected ever.

First, least respected title is still about 1000x better than no title.   Even if it wasn't a first title, that formula applies.

Second, the Kawhi game 7 buzzer-beater after a meat-grinder PHI series, and the MIL series, where they beat the MVP and #1 seed team, and came back from double-digit deficits in the 2H in both game 5-6, and now dethroning the champs, I doubt it will end up with that distinction.   And moreover, that kind of discussion really won't get much run, other than for offseason pass-the-time type discussion.    Eli's WC run with the Giants is the one ppl talk about in football the most, but if there's a hands down award for least deserving, it's in hockey - the #8 seed LA Kings, got into the playoffs on the last day of the season, and then just went on an insane run of good fortune / hot goaltending.  Either way, you don't ever hear fans of the game acknowledge the championship.

Morever, this is moot if GS bounces back.  Honestly, until TOR wins a 3rd game, I'd still give GS the edge - as long as they have Klay healthy.  Without a healthy Klay, and no KD, TOR becomes the favorites, but it's a pretty even matchup with Klay there, provided they get great-D / can-heat-up Klay.   WIth Klay & KD, then the balance tips to GS (duh).

11 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

It helped them win game 2 correct? They don't win that game without him. So yeah, it has worked out just fine! Thank you for asking. By the way, did ya'll really lose to a team the Dubs slapped around in four games????

Don't be mad at me for thinking the dubs could use a guy that can move. The Warriors are in trouble either way with 2 of their stars hurt. I wouldn't argue otherwise. 

Nugs era is just beginning my dude. Gotta fail along the way to get to the top. 

7 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Do people do that to the 2015 Warriors banner with an injured Love and Kyrie? Interesting take.

I've seen people do it. I waiver on it personally. I'd say a healthy Cavs team probably has the edge but it's not big.

16 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

First, least respected title is still about 1000x better than no title.   Even if it wasn't a first title, that formula applies.

Second, the Kawhi game 7 buzzer-beater after a meat-grinder PHI series, and the MIL series, where they beat the MVP and #1 seed team, and came back from double-digit deficits in the 2H in both game 5-6, and now dethroning the champs, I doubt it will end up with that distinction.   And moreover, that kind of discussion really won't get much run, other than for offseason pass-the-time type discussion.    Eli's WC run with the Giants is the one ppl talk about in football the most, but if there's a hands down award for least deserving, it's in hockey - the #8 seed LA Kings, got into the playoffs on the last day of the season, and then just went on an insane run of good fortune / hot goaltending.  Either way, you don't ever hear fans of the game acknowledge the championship.

Morever, this is moot if GS bounces back.  Honestly, until TOR wins a 3rd game, I'd still give GS the edge - as long as they have Klay healthy.  Without a healthy Klay, and no KD, TOR becomes the favorites, but it's a pretty even matchup with Klay there, provided they get great-D / can-heat-up Klay.   WIth KD, then the balance tips to GS (duh).

The only person who's legacy improves in Kawhi for how amazing he's been. The rest comes down to the Warriors playing with half a team.

Archived