Bears "best kept secret" Eddie Goldman

soulman

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

First of all Raymond has exactly 0.chance of getting playtime over Shaheen, first and foremost bc Raymond doeant play the Y and Shaheen does.  And he doesnt have anything resembling slow moving feet.  He has very good footwork, he catches pretty much everything and he scores the ball.  Shaheen has injury concerns and they are legitimate, but he certainly hasnt been tereinle when he plays.

He has been largely non-existent in the passing game.

He had a couple of nice catches in between injuries his rookie season, but hardly enough to think he can be a legit NFL weapon.

NFL teams barely bother to cover him. The Eagles did not even worry about him for a 2nd whenever Burton was out in the playoffs.

Based on what we have seen, even if he can stay healthy, I don’t think he has the speed to be much more than a blocking TE and occasional “they forgot about him” receiver.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Yeah, his slow moving feet have come in handy a lot. Burton led the team in TD's and Shaheen is obviously fantastic so I question why everyone on this board 1) wanted Pace to draft a TE and 2) why people are excited about Raymond as a UDFA. Good luck getting playing time over the agile Adam Shaheen, pal!

Why are people so excited about a UDFA no one has even seen play a single snap even in a preseason game?  I'm not.

Comparing Raymond with Shaheen as far as the Combine scores go they were fairly similar yet Shaheen is 20+ lbs heavier and stronger.  Raymond failed to get drafted coming out of a Div I program but Shaheen was taken in round 2 after having played only three years at TE in a Div II program.  So there must be something about Shaheen that attracted Pace and others to him.

And as I recall many of us favored drafting a TE as a back up to Burton not Shaheen since it was losing Burton that most feel hurt us in the playoff game.  So in addition to Raymond we signed a few of those "F" type TE prospects too.  This summer Raymond's job will be to first beat out Braunecker for his spot before he'll get a shot at dethroning Shaheen from his.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, soulman said:

Why are people so excited about a UDFA no one has even seen play a single snap even in a preseason game?  I'm not.

Comparing Raymond with Shaheen as far as the Combine scores go they were fairly similar yet Shaheen is 20+ lbs heavier and stronger.  Raymond failed to get drafted coming out of a Div I program but Shaheen was taken in round 2 after having played only three years at TE in a Div II program.  So there must be something about Shaheen that attracted Pace and others to him.

And as I recall many of us favored drafting a TE as a back up to Burton not Shaheen since it was losing Burton that most feel hurt us in the playoff game.  So in addition to Raymond we signed a few of those "F" type TE prospects too.  This summer Raymond's job will be to first beat out Braunecker for his spot before he'll get a shot at dethroning Shaheen from his.

You weren’t here then but this board was super pumped when we added another “should have been drafted” TE a few years back too. You may have heard of him - his name is Ben Braunecker. 

I think Raymond is a good prospect for where we got him but I’m not expecting anything more than a backup role for him and think it’s far from a given that he makes the squad. I’m certainly expecting more from Shaheen. 16 TE were drafted this year and Raymond wasn’t among them. That alone should tell you that the league isn’t high on him. I’d like to think he may be a difference maker at some point but the odds are strongly against him in that regard, especially for 2019. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

You weren’t here then but this board was super pumped when we added another “should have been drafted” TE a few years back too. You may have heard of him - his name is Ben Braunecker. 

I think Raymond is a good prospect for where we got him but I’m not expecting anything more than a backup role for him and think it’s far from a given that he makes the squad. I’m certainly expecting more from Shaheen. 16 TE were drafted this year and Raymond wasn’t among them. That alone should tell you that the league isn’t high on him. I’d like to think he may be a difference maker at some point but the odds are strongly against him in that regard, especially for 2019. 

True.  If Combine results are all there is to scoring great players then by all that is holy Braunecker should be an All Pro by now.  He smoked every other TE at his combine.  http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/ben-braunecker?id=2555482.

So that must not be the magical key and part of me believes TE isn't an easy position to draft for.  It's clear that Shaheen fit the style of offense Fox ran a little better than he fits Nagy's but overall he still has the basic skills to succeed in it.  He's only had 20 targets in two seasons but he's caught 85% (17) of them and scored 4 tds.  So we know he can catch as well as block and he's likely to be our red zone TE.

Braunecker still intrigues me.  He's had even less offensive opportunities but when he's been thrown to he's made a couple of nice catches in traffic.  I'll let those who wish to get a woody over Raymond enjoy themselves because I believe Braunecker will be far ahead of him in camp and preseason.  But that's only my opinion.  We'll see how it plays out.

I will be interested to see if Braunecker can unseat Shaheen.

Braunecker only had 3 catches last season, 2 of them were for 18 and 20 air yards, which is a couple little flashes of dynamic ability.

Edited by WindyCity

14 hours ago, soulman said:

Because he has quite a bit of athleticism, something Shaheen lacks. By no means do I think Raymond will have much of an NFL career. UDFA's typically suck (see my Gabriel vs Hall argument). My point was that most on this board were lauding Pace's UDFA haul with large part due to Hall, Raymond, and Bars.

You can make a lot of arguments for this and you're a really good poster, so you're better than this. Comparing how high someone was drafted? I guess Leaf was better than Brady, too. Come on.

Yeah, that's exactly why, and if Shaheen was worth a damn, he would be able to step in and be a viable replacement for Burton for a game or two.

Edited by beardown3231

16 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

First of all Raymond has exactly 0.chance of getting playtime over Shaheen, first and foremost bc Raymond doeant play the Y and Shaheen does.  And he doesnt have anything resembling slow moving feet.  He has very good footwork, he catches pretty much everything and he scores the ball.  Shaheen has injury concerns and they are legitimate, but he certainly hasnt been tereinle when he plays.

Agree to disagree. Even when Shaheen makes a catch every 6 games or so, he looks like a fool doing so. Trust me, I want to be wrong but at this point I'm about done with any high hopes of Shaheen

1 hour ago, blkwdw13 said:

This is some nice Eddie Goldman talk. 

Lmao ! I dropped in expecting a couple pages on Eddie but ALL Shaheen  ...Shaheen obviously  deserves a thread maybe start one or switch title for this one

Cannot teach size Shaheen is big (6'7 iirc) with plenty of talent ... esp red zone !! I am still very high on him and am expecting him to finally take off this year  ...injuries are all thats holding this up ..when healthy he clearly passes eye test for me. He did look goofy and lost at times rookie year but was really settling in when he got hurt   AGAIN  !

CAN HE STAY HEALTHY ????

Edited by SLCbear
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

1) Brother all we have so far is what's been reported to us by others.  We haven't seen Raymond in camp or received media impressions on him from camp or have seen him play a single snap of even preseason NFL football against other rookie draftees, UDFAs, and borderline vets.  I hope what you say is true but I need to see Raymond play first.

2) Your simply saying Shaheen lacks athleticism compared to Raymond doesn't make it true.  Others with more expertise disagree with you.

Bottom Line

Big, fast and athletic, Shaheen will immediately interest teams who are looking for size and traits. He's a poorer blocker than what might be expected for a player with his frame, but he's also a much more dangerous pass catching target. The jump in competition will be substantial and teams will expect him to become a more consistent blocker, but he's a pass catching tight end in a Y-tight end's body. Shaheen has starting potential with an ability to impact a passing game early in his career.

3) Whether you agree or not in general there are differences between early round picks and late round picks and UDFAs.  If that wasn't the case and Raymond was that talented he would have been drafted as early as the 2nd or 3rd round.  And that tired worn out rationale of Brady vs Leaf is so old now it has wiskers, arthritis, and can collect social security.  YOU can do better than that.  There are exceptions to every rule.

4) Shaheen will never be seen or used as a game time every snap replacement for Burton.  They aren't anywhere near the same player.  I would bet you a buck you can't get even one other informed member here to agree with this.  It's like thinking Jordan Howard should have been able to take over 100% of Tarik Cohen's snaps.  Come on brother that's a swing and a miss as well and you know it too.

5 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Agree to disagree. Even when Shaheen makes a catch every 6 games or so, he looks like a fool doing so. Trust me, I want to be wrong but at this point I'm about done with any high hopes of Shaheen

Saying this is only making you look more foolish.  His videos won't lie.  Watch some.  The first one begins with his injury.  I'd like to see him play lighter than he is but for a kid whose as big as NFL OTs were  20 years ago he moves pretty well.

1 hour ago, soulman said:

1) Brother all we have so far is what's been reported to us by others.  We haven't seen Raymond in camp or received media impressions on him from camp or have seen him play a single snap of even preseason NFL football against other rookie draftees, UDFAs, and borderline vets.  I hope what you say is true but I need to see Raymond play first.

Yes, we have received media impressions and we've heard Nagy compliment him.

2) Your simply saying Shaheen lacks athleticism compared to Raymond doesn't make it true.  Others with more expertise disagree with you.

Bottom Line

Big, fast and athletic, Shaheen will immediately interest teams who are looking for size and traits. He's a poorer blocker than what might be expected for a player with his frame, but he's also a much more dangerous pass catching target. The jump in competition will be substantial and teams will expect him to become a more consistent blocker, but he's a pass catching tight end in a Y-tight end's body. Shaheen has starting potential with an ability to impact a passing game early in his career.

Yeah, his pre-draft report. Now go dig up Michael Haynes' and every other bust's. I bet there a ton of positives

3) Whether you agree or not in general there are differences between early round picks and late round picks and UDFAs.  If that wasn't the case and Raymond was that talented he would have been drafted as early as the 2nd or 3rd round.  And that tired worn out rationale of Brady vs Leaf is so old now it has wiskers, arthritis, and can collect social security.  YOU can do better than that.  There are exceptions to every rule.

Alright, Robert Griffin vs Russell Wilson. Braylon Edwards vs Vincent Jackson. We could go on for awhile. The 2nd round vs UDFA is foolish and you know it

4) Shaheen will never be seen or used as a game time every snap replacement for Burton.  They aren't anywhere near the same player.  I would bet you a buck you can't get even one other informed member here to agree with this.  It's like thinking Jordan Howard should have been able to take over 100% of Tarik Cohen's snaps.  Come on brother that's a swing and a miss as well and you know it too.

For a game, a good player at the same position albeit different styles can't pick up the slack? If Howard needed to get another 10 carries last year, he could have.. but how did it work when Shaheen needed to be a badass against Philly?