43M's Gaming Journal: Now Playing: God of War Ragnarok!!!

43M

3 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Have you ever played any of the Telltale games?  They are shorter and more story-based, but they are excellent.  The Walking Dead series is good in general, but the 1st one is must-play IMO.  Wolf Among Us is my favorite by far too and (hopefully) the 2nd one will be coming in 2023.  Both Batman ones are very fun too.  I'm pretty sure the Walking Dead bundle is like $15 or so on Playstation.

They might not be your kind of game but worth looking into if you want something good to play that doesn't take up a lot of your time.

Also if those games interest you, then look up Twelve Minutes too.  Very creative idea and story and is even shorter than the Telltale games I mentioned (hence the name).  

I started the Back to the Future one years ago (was that TellTale?), and I always wanted to try Batman.    Never really watched Walking Dead, so I wont be connected to that.

Saw the Batman one was free on PS Plus, so I may try that.

45 minutes ago, 43M said:

I started the Back to the Future one years ago (was that TellTale?), and I always wanted to try Batman.    Never really watched Walking Dead, so I wont be connected to that.

Saw the Batman one was free on PS Plus, so I may try that.

For whatever it’s worth The Walking Dead game has nothing to do with the TV show. But yeah you’ll love the Batman one I think! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Infamous-cover.jpgInfamous_2.png    Rapid Review

Played the original about 10 years ago and really enjoyed it.   Bought Infamous 2 but never got further than the first 15 minutes.     Finally got my money out of it all these years later.   Both are pretty fun games with an intriguing concept of giving you the chance to be a superhero or a supervillain.    The graphics are certainly dated, but I can get past that.   Gameplay was fun but controls werent as tight as I remember.   I streamed these games on PS Plus, so I wonder if that had an affect.     Infamous 2 was certainly a solid upgrade in every area from Infamous 1.       Wouldnt mind seeing Sucker Punch revive this series on PS5.    Going to play Second Son eventually, but after playing these two, I needed something different.      Still, pretty entertaining games, even though the old geezer me isnt as big into these games as the younger me would be.

inFamous:  7.0

inFamous 2:  7.5

So, Im kind of experimenting a little, trying to figure out what games I want to play going forward.    

Im leaning towards games on PS Plus so I can get my money's worth.

Tried Bloodborne, but I dont know....I just cant get into these Darks Souls/hardcore tough games.      I get the appeal, I suppose, but I do believe they are massively overhyped.     The gameplay is absolutely nothing special and while I dont mind dying, I cant stand having to play through the same long sections over and over.    So that probably rules out games like Elden Ring and Nioh going forward.

I am currently trying out Dragon Quest 11, but Im still not 100% sure Im going to stick with it.      Ive played about 3 hours, and its decent, but it feels like a very very....childish....game.      Gameplay is solid and art style is beautiful, but everything just feels like its geared towards 8 year olds.      It kind of reminds me of Zelda meets old school Final Fantasy....which sounds great in theory, but again, the game kind of treats you like your an idiot.    Not sure if Ill make it past 10 hours, but Im giving it a chance.

On 11/27/2022 at 7:12 PM, 43M said:

I am currently trying out Dragon Quest 11, but Im still not 100% sure Im going to stick with it.      Ive played about 3 hours, and its decent, but it feels like a very very....childish....game.      Gameplay is solid and art style is beautiful, but everything just feels like its geared towards 8 year olds.      It kind of reminds me of Zelda meets old school Final Fantasy....which sounds great in theory, but again, the game kind of treats you like your an idiot.    Not sure if Ill make it past 10 hours, but Im giving it a chance.

I used to love Dragon Warrior games back in the day. They were some of my favorites on NES along w/ FF games. I didn't realize they changed the name to Dragon Quest until 3-4 years ago and they were still making games. Seeing game play of these games gave me the same feelings you seem to have about it being marketed for children. I couldn't buy a game as a result. I might try to find an emulator for the first few though. Those were excellent

Edited by BobbyPhil1781
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I used to love Dragon Warrior games back in the day. They were some of my favorites on NES along w/ FF games. I didn't realize they changed the name to Dragon Quest until 3-4 years ago and they were still making games. Seeing game play of these games gave me the same feelings you seem to have about it being marketed for children. I couldn't buy a game as a result. I might try to find an emulator for the first few though. Those were excellent

Yeah, I tried my hardest to stick with Dragon Quest 11, but the story, dialogue and gameplay are so basic and childish.    I mean, games like Mario and Zelda kind of are too, but they are done so much better and dont treat you like an idiot.    There are some good things about DQ11, but the elements I dont like were enough to drive me away.

Currently playing Infamous Second Son.    Somewhat regretting getting PS Plus, but oh well.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2022 at 5:13 PM, iknowcool said:

For whatever it’s worth The Walking Dead game has nothing to do with the TV show. But yeah you’ll love the Batman one I think! 

Yeah, both Walking Deads are great and really no connection to the show other than the name.

Fwiw, I think The Wolf Among Us and Tales from the Borderlands are the best Telltale games.

4 hours ago, 43M said:

Finishing up Infamous Second Son.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition is coming to PS Plus next week, so thats 99% likely to be my next game (well...3 games).

As someone who has never played Mass Effect, I'll be right there with you.

Also I'd love a revive Infamous series or even remaster the first one.  One of the first games I can remember playing on my PS3 and it was so much better than I was expecting going in, given it was a new IP.  I never played Second Son.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iknowcool said:

As someone who has never played Mass Effect, I'll be right there with you.

Also I'd love a revive Infamous series or even remaster the first one.  One of the first games I can remember playing on my PS3 and it was so much better than I was expecting going in, given it was a new IP.  I never played Second Son.

Ive played the Mass Effect trilogy before, but its time to revisit it since the remaster is free on PS Plus.  Looking forward to seeing Mass Effect 1 again with updated gameplay and graphics.

I feel like InFamous could be done so well now if Sucker Punch put the same love into it that they put into Ghost of Tsushima.

Infamous_second_son_boxart.jpg Rapid Review

This game came out at the beginning of the PS4's life cycle, and even though it got decent reviews, it wasnt really receiving the rave reviews that inFamous 1 and 2 did, so I thought maybe it wasnt quite as good and therefore, was never really in a rush to play it.   Plus, I hadnt finished 2 yet.    So, was this game as good as the first 2?     Actually, it was better in pretty much every way.   I still preferred the way the first game explored the concept of a superhuman suddenly showing up, but this game honestly had a better story, and while I like Cole better from the original games, the new protagonist Delsin grew on me as the game went on, and the ending was actually pretty decent.      The gameplay was better in almost every way, thanks primarily to the new powers you could get and the ways you could use them.

Again, I really hope they revisit this franchise, because there is alot of untapped potential here.

Final Score:  8.0

Downloaded and started playing Mass Effect Legendary Edition, but I cant really get into it right now.    Not sure why.  It feels like I played through it recently, even though its been at least 5 years.   I may put it on the shelf for now.

After Christmas, I may start playing the Witcher games.    Finally play through 1 and 2, and then play the next gen Witcher 3.

Right now, I may just try some random games.   

DMC1FrontCover.jpgDMC2FrontCover.jpgRapid Review

I played these games a long long time ago on the PS2, and always wanted to revisit them since the HD collection came out, on top of 4 and 5 which Ive never played.        I remember really liking the first one, didnt remember a thing about 2, and 3 I only remembered how hard it was.

DMC1 is a still a pretty decent game, but didnt age extremely well.   The fixed camera angles of yesteryear action games are really hard to get used to.      I managed, but it wasnt easy.    And dear god....the story and voice acting are absolutely horrendous.    This game was after games like Grand Theft Auto 3 and Metal Gear Solid, so there is no excuse for how bad the dialogue and storytelling is.   But Capcom has always been pretty bad with that stuff.    If any game is ripe for a remake/reboot, its Devil May Cry.   

DMC2 is....not a good game.     There are some minor improvements,, but the game doesnt even feel entirely finished.   Bland story, character building is a joke, and took several steps back in certain areas.      Feels like it was made by a completely different team who didnt really care about it and just threw it together.

Devil May Cry:  6.8
Devil May Cry 2:  4.7

Currently playing Devil May Cry 3, which a significantly better game than the first two.   I will then be playing DMC 4 and 5.

Devil_May_Cry_3_boxshot.jpg Rapid Review

I played this years ago....I think when I was still in the military, on the PS2.    I remembered it being a really tough game and the final boss being nearly impossible, because I remember returning the game to Blockbuster (Im old) before I beat it and I hadnt picked it up since.    The game is actually pretty great.    Gameplay and story are a massive step up from the first 2 games.   It was far from perfect, though.     The camera got extremely annoying at times, and if not for a few online tips for how to beat the final boss, I dont think I wouldve beaten it this time, either.   The game overall was very challenging, but at least it didnt make you wonder back through extremely long sections like Bloodborne.      Either way, I am happy I got to finally finish another game I started a LONG time ago.

Devil May Cry 3:  8

• 43M changed the title to 43M's Gaming Journal: Now Playing: God of War Ragnarok!!!