Early Returns on the Rookie Class

WindyCity

Its still way too early to know or to gloat, but everyone laughed at Bears paltry draft picks by numbers alone due to all trades.

Prediction from many places is Bears lack of draft capital from Mack and other trades means this is beginning of the end. 

If they still snagged 2-5 good players with a handful of late round picks and UDFAs it will be hilarious.  

• Like 1

If Pace can get a quality class out of this year I think he cements himself as an upper echelon GM.

I know he was a lot of people's executive of the year, but that was in an offseason where he spent crazy money and played fast and loose with draft picks.

Making a gourmet meal out of the back of the cupboard ingredients is more impressive to me.

• Like 3

His record with middle round guys and value FAs is really good.  Whether he is succesful or not now hinges on Mitch and how he manages the cap in the next couple years. 

If Mitch is good what Pace does next offseason is going to be really interesting,  I won't be surprised if he starts trading away good but expensive players and amassing draft capital to try and restock the roster on the cheap. If Mitch doesn't progress this year, then Pace next moves are going to be interesting as well, in the way a warehouse fire is "interesting" 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

If Pace can get a quality class out of this year I think he cements himself as an upper echelon GM.

I know he was a lot of people's executive of the year, but that was in an offseason where he spent crazy money and played fast and loose with draft picks.

Making a gourmet meal out of the back of the cupboard ingredients is more impressive to me.

23 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

His record with middle round guys and value FAs is really good.  Whether he is succesful or not now hinges on Mitch and how he manages the cap in the next couple years. 

If Mitch is good what Pace does next offseason is going to be really interesting,  I won't be surprised if he starts trading away good but expensive players and amassing draft capital to try and restock the roster on the cheap. If Mitch doesn't progress this year, then Pace next moves are going to be interesting as well, in the way a warehouse fire is "interesting" 

I really like how he is (potentially) finding quality late round picks and even UDFAs to be ready to replace aging or higher priced guys in anticipation of rapidly rising cap number of core of team.

Showing a lot of forward thinking that says Bears may not collapse as expected under weight of cap after a run next couple of years.  

Hardest decision I think wont be paying Trubisky, but how much to pay Floyd if anything.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Hardest decision I think wont be paying Trubisky, but how much to pay Floyd if anything.  

I believe you're right.  Just as is Floyd has earned an extension as a decent all around OLB but that kind of production won't attract top Edge Rusher pay from Pace.  Unless Floyd explodes more as a rusher in this defense he may be disappointed with his offer.

I like Floyd and I hope that Pace is able to extend him but we need to see an entire season out of him like he played the last 8-9 games in 2018.  Word from OTA is he's bigger and stronger than he's ever been before and 100% healthy so he needs to shine.

58 minutes ago, soulman said:

I believe you're right.  Just as is Floyd has earned an extension as a decent all around OLB but that kind of production won't attract top Edge Rusher pay from Pace.  Unless Floyd explodes more as a rusher in this defense he may be disappointed with his offer.

I like Floyd and I hope that Pace is able to extend him but we need to see an entire season out of him like he played the last 8-9 games in 2018.  Word from OTA is he's bigger and stronger than he's ever been before and 100% healthy so he needs to shine.

What would Belichick do?  I think we know the answer.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

What would Belichick do?  I think we know the answer.  

What would Bill do would depend entirely on who he either had on hand who could step up or what vet UFA looking for a ring he might sign for a year on the cheap. 

I don't believe Pace thinks that same way or wants to emulate Bill or the Pats.  Not unless Mitch become Tom Brady v2.0.

I truly believe it would be in the Bears best interest to extend him if at all possible.  He came in raw, too light for what he's expected to do, and at least somewhat inexperienced as a true OLB/Edge Rusher.

He's added 15-20 of muscle (that we can see) and Monachino has been working hard with him on his pass rush moves so it's basically make or break time for him in that regard.  His future paycheck is in his hands.

If he explodes as an edge guy I think Pace will pay whatever it takes within reason to keep him because it will be nearly impossible for teams to handle both him and Mack, Hicks, Nichols or RRH, and Smith blitzing from ILB.

IMHO the problem will come if he doesn't yet wants to be paid like a top edge guy instead of just a very good all around OLB.  If that's the case maybe you trade him, spread the money around elsewhere, and use a 2020 pick on an edge guy whose cheaper.

I'd call it a toss up right now.  Too much is still unknown to call it.  All I know is Pace is not gonna want to be forced into paying $13 mil and change for one year if it can in any way be avoided and I do mean any way.

10 minutes ago, soulman said:

What would Bill do would depend entirely on who he either had on hand who could step up or what vet UFA looking for a ring he might sign for a year on the cheap. 

When he let Flowers go who did he have in hand at time of decision?  Same with Chandler Jones if memory serves.

I don't believe Pace thinks that same way or wants to emulate Bill or the Pats.  Not unless Mitch become Tom Brady v2.0.

That's fair.  Brady gives you a lot of rope to play with.   Also his own defensive brain does.  He can manufacture good defenses around different non-traditional skill sets.  In other words unlike 99% of other teams he doesn't need plug and play players that fit his scheme.  He can fit a scheme to fit and maximize his talent on hand.

Almost nobody else can do that.

Edited by dll2000
typo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

When he let Flowers go who did he have in hand at time of decision?  Same with Chandler Jones if memory serves.

That's fair.  Brady gives you a lot of rope to play with.   Also his own defensive brain does.  He can manufacture good defenses around different non-traditional skill sets.  In other words unlike 99% of other teams he doesn't need plug and play players that fit his scheme.  He can fit a scheme to fit and maximize his talent on hand.

Yep. He actually traded Jones for Cooper and two or three picks. IDK if the picks worked out or not, but he got rid of him before his contract was even up. Maybe he would go after the trade while Floyd is on the 5th-year option. Not a bad strategy if you can get a 3rd or better (since best you can get is a 3rd round compensatory pick if they walk) and have someone who can take over the role on the roster.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Even if they don't have an adequate replacement on the roster my belief is that for years the Pats have counted on being able to find someone, typically an older vet, to sign for a year or two and plug him in.  Belichick has done that for years.

Someone with less coaching talent in all likelihood couldn't make that work but he collects players whom he can mold to play his way so even if their talent level drops a bit he adapts and makes certain the whole is better than the sum of the parts.

The very fact they've gone through so many different players on their way to winning championships tends to confirm that but Bill and Brady have always been the constants and they find ways to win with who they have.  And I despise them for it.  LOL