2020 NBA Draft Thread

NYRaider

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

A guy shooting 37.5/25.0/72.3 who plays terrible defense doesn't "deservedly" go top 5. For as much as people dog Cole Anthony's shooting (in a **** system where he literally has to do everything because this UNC team is horribad - coaching and all), at least he offers elite defense. Same goes for Anthony Edwards. At least he offers elite tools to go with his bad shooting percentages. 

STILL, neither of them shoot as poorly as Melo does. 

that's cool, 

still have to find 3 more players over him so he doesn't go top 5

tho there is like 3% chance Cole actually goes before him

1 minute ago, 11sanchez11 said:

still have to find 3 more players over him so he doesn't go top 5

Any 3 of Wiseman, OO, Hayes, Avdija, Okoro, Toppin, Haliburton. Take your pick.

3 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

tho there is like 3% chance Cole actually goes before him

And it has nothing to do with Cole's individual skill. 

We gave Cole Anthony space today instead of being a clustereff offense vs the 'Cuse zone and he had himself a great game. Scored 25 on 8-13 (7-11 3pt FG) and played phenomenal defense. He's going to be great in the NBA with the spacing difference. Not sure how anyone can watch LaMelo and say he's better.  

• Like 1

On 2/29/2020 at 11:34 PM, beekay414 said:

We gave Cole Anthony space today instead of being a clustereff offense vs the 'Cuse zone and he had himself a great game. Scored 25 on 8-13 (7-11 3pt FG) and played phenomenal defense. He's going to be great in the NBA with the spacing difference. Not sure how anyone can watch LaMelo and say he's better.  

Another superb shooting night from Anthony. 28 points on 8-14 FG, 4-5 3pt FG, 8-8 FT to go along with 7 dimes to 1 TO. 

Again, there's not a soul out there that can convince me LaMelo Ball is better than this kid. He's a dog on defense and he's magnificent when given room to work, which UNC rarely does do to the offensive structure and the size of the court/defense schemes in college. He's going to absolutely thrive in the NBA.

Last 6 games, he's shooting 50.6/47.5/85.2 after struggling his first four back from injury. His overall line isn't going to look great due to this team but he's a friggin' stud.

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

On 2/28/2020 at 6:02 PM, resilient part 2 said:

Again I say, expect for the Knicks I just don't see any of the top 10 needy teams going for LaMelo. But I have lived long enough to know that seeing Lamelo go anywhere in the draft would really surprise me. People drafting have proven to be so inaccurate that it shouldn't shock anyone where he goes..

I personally don't like LaMelo as a prospect. But the "mystery" surrounding him and his game being tucked away on the other side of the world playing against meh competition might actually help his draft stock. Not to mention he'll be the most "hyped" prospect in the class and wherever he goes he'll be a talking point, at least in year one, just like Lonzo was, which may influence the decision makers of a poorly run franchise. 

8 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Another superb shooting night from Anthony. 28 points on 8-14 FG, 4-5 3pt FG, 8-8 FT to go along with 7 dimes to 1 TO. 

Again, there's not a soul out there that can convince me LaMelo Ball is better than this kid. He's a dog on defense and he's magnificent when given room to work, which UNC rarely does do to the offensive structure and the size of the court/defense schemes in college. He's going to absolutely thrive in the NBA.

Last 6 games, he's shooting 50.6/47.5/85.2 after struggling his first four back from injury. His overall line isn't going to look great due to this team but he's a friggin' stud.

Cole Anthony is the second best prospect in the draft behind Wiseman. 

11 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

This year's draft is bad but nowhere near as bad as 2013

Going into that draft there were some solid prospects but none of them had superstar potential (at that time so not including Giannis).  This draft is like that except even less solid prospects.  

On 3/4/2020 at 10:35 AM, DirtyDez said:

This looks worse than 2013 on paper and the Cavs were reportedly deciding between Bennett and Len.  Think about that.  

Ehh. That draft really didn't have any prospects at the top that you could say, yeah they're likely going to be the #1/#2 pick. Unless something crazy happens the top two picks will almost undoubtedly be James Wiseman and Anthony Edwards. And in any scenario that it isn't them it's likely because a team fell in love with Cole Anthony or LaMelo Ball. But I do agree that top to bottom this is one of the worst draft classes in recent history. I really wouldn't bank on anyone in this class becoming a perennial all-star or a franchise player. 

On 3/2/2020 at 5:44 PM, resilient part 2 said:

It's time for some of you dawgs to update ur top 14 

Let's go slackers

1. James Wiseman | C | Memphis

2. Cole Anthony | G | North Carolina

3. Anthony Edwards | G | Georgia

4. Onyeka Okongwu | F | USC

5. Deni Avdija | F | Israel 

6. Tyrese Haliburton | PG | Iowa State

7. Killian Hayes | PG | France

8. Obi Toppin | F | Dayton 

9. Theo Maledon | PG | France

10. Jaden McDaniels | F | Washington

11. Isaac Okoro | F | Auburn

12. Tyrese Maxey | G | Kentucky

13. RJ Hampton | G | Australia 

14. Patrick Williams | F | Florida State

• Like 1

Two guys that I think could potentially rise a lot during the pre-draft process, especially with the lack of talent in college basketball, are Killian Hayes and Deni Avdija. 

Avdija at 6'9" 215 (6'10" WS) has point forward type ability and from all accounts has the alpha/competitive personaility that teams look for in star players. He dominated in the U20 tournament last summer, averaging 18.4 points, 8.3 rebounds, 5.3 assists, 2.1 steals, and 2.4 blocks while hitting the game winner in the championship game to lead Israel to a gold medal. The biggest knocks on him are a lack of experience playing against elite competition, inconsistent shooting (32.4% career 3P shooter), and the fact that he's a good but not great athlete. If he shoots the ball well and displays improving athleticism in his workouts, I could see him being a top 3-4 pick. 

Killian Hayes at 6'5" 215 (6'7" WS) has shown that he can be a lead guard at the NBA level and made a tremendous leap this season. The biggest knocks on him coming into the year were that he was more of a combo guard than a true point guard and his inconsistent shooting ability. He has taken major strides in both areas this season, doubling his assists per game from 3.1 to 6.2 while only playing 7 more minutes a night (currently ranks 4th in APG in Euro Cup despite being 18 years old). And he has also taken his scoring/shooting to the next level going from 7.2 ppg to 12.8 ppg, improving his 3P% from 19.2% (2.2 attempts) to 39% (4.1 attempts), and his FT% from 82% to 91%. It will be interesting to see how he tests athletically and how he shoots the ball in workouts but he's another guy that could go a lot earlier than people expect.