Bitcoin

BayRaider

So basically almost 100% of every crypto's price is pure speculation outside of a major few that hold actual value as a currency? I'm looking up which places accept which currency and can barely find anything. People complain that bitcoin isn't widely accepted, and without question some part of bitcoin value is not speculation, what does that mean for all these other currencies? Basically all pump and dump and/or speculation right?

56 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

So basically almost 100% of every crypto's price is pure speculation outside of a major few that hold actual value as a currency? I'm looking up which places accept which currency and can barely find anything. People complain that bitcoin isn't widely accepted, and without question some part of bitcoin value is not speculation, what does that mean for all these other currencies? Basically all pump and dump and/or speculation right?

No, most of the cryptocurrencies are not trying to act as a currency like Bitcoin or Litecoin. All of the tokens have their own individual purpose to make their own project work. 

Edited by BayRaider

59 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

its almost kinda like a cross between a gift card (can only rent storage space on sia with siacoin) and an IPO (to raise money)

1 hour ago, Mossburg said:

Yes and no.  So several points I'd like to make (not all of which tie back to your question):

• Bitcoin currently is living off of the brand.  From a technology standpoint, ETH, LTC, Bitcoin Cash, etc... are superior IMO.  That said the Lightning Network upgrade which should occur in 2018 along with the BTC brand, should actually give it a boost.  LTC and Bitcoin Cash at that point could tumble.
  • I myself have only invested currently in ETH, NEO, AION, and IOTA.  Solid coins with heavy investment.  These are coins that I believe are 'safe'.
  • While I've been conservative because a lot of things do sound 'scammy' meaning how are things valued as high as they are, that shouldn't stop you from investing in it at the moment. Perfect example is probably Oyster Pearl.  I had a debate with @BayRaider about it and he was right.  I looked at Github and saw very few commits.  I joined their telegram channel and didn't see a lot of participation.  But what I did see is posts everywhere (here, reddit, crypto forums, etc...) about how great of a ROI there could be for the coin.  Which to be honest at this stage is more than half the battle.  Buy in, let the price soar and then figure out a number you want to exit at (if you don't believe in it long term).  Morale of the story is you don't need to believe in it long term for it to still be a good investment.

Also, my own speculation is that the current market cap is around $800 Billion in the crypto market, but it should reach $2 Trillion this year.  After that could be the bloodbath, but for 2018 I think we're relatively safe (With at least one major dip once regulations kick in)...

Villian they were using private commits before. Now they use Github every day. Team has widely expanded. 

- New Website with Team Page on Jan 12th

- TestNet A End of Jan

- TestNet B End of Feb

- MainNet May

Plus maybe bigger exchange after testnet. 

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Villian they were using private commits before. Now they use Github every day. Team has widely expanded. 

- New Website with Team Page on Jan 12th

- TestNet A End of Jan

- TestNet B End of Feb

- MainNet May

Plus maybe bigger exchange after testnet. 

I've noticed.  My only issue right now is that I've invested a decent amount in ETH, AION, NEO, and IOTA.  The next one I want to buy is SALT and then I'm probably done for a bit.  Don't want over leverage myself (at least that's what I keep telling myself, lol).

SALT has already started spiking (went from $12 to $15 today).  I'm hoping I can get in before it spikes too high...

I'm not really asking because I wanna dabble in altcoins, just trying to see which actually have some tangible value. Like if someone thinks NEO (never heard of it, just picking it as you mentioned it) can be better than bitcoin as a currency, that's still pure speculation because there's nothing I can actually do with this coin, right? As BayRaider said, some have different objectives that aren't just currency bound, but the ones that are, is the price at this point driven almost entirely by speculation or some scheme? Not saying anything bad, just trying to clarify, because if I can't spend it, then why is it valuable? Person to person transactions of goods /services for altcoins has to by super minimal.

Just now, Mossburg said:

I'm not really asking because I wanna dabble in altcoins, just trying to see which actually have some tangible value. Like if someone thinks NEO (never heard of it, just picking it as you mentioned it) can be better than bitcoin as a currency, that's still pure speculation because there's nothing I can actually do with this coin, right? As BayRaider said, some have different objectives that aren't just currency bound, but the ones that are, is the price at this point driven almost entirely by speculation or some scheme? Not saying anything bad, just trying to clarify, because if I can't spend it, then why is it valuable? Person to person transactions of goods /services for altcoins has to by super minimal.

So NEO is probably a good example.  The reason I brought into NEO is because there's a lot of projects launching (ICO) on that network: https://neo.org/dapps.  So it will have usable products/use cases.  They also do have partnerships already as well.  Working product/partnerships are the ones I'm investing in currently.  But tbh, should any of these coins be at their current market caps?  Probably not...

1 minute ago, TheVillain112 said:

So NEO is probably a good example.  The reason I brought into NEO is because there's a lot of projects launching (ICO) on that network: https://neo.org/dapps.  So it will have usable products/use cases.  They also do have partnerships already as well.  Working product/partnerships are the ones I'm investing in currently.  But tbh, should any of these coins be at their current market caps?  Probably not...

So basically there is some actual, at least perceived value behind it. Gotcha. Thanks.

Edited by Mossburg

44 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

So basically there is some actual, at least perceived value behind it. Gotcha. Thanks.

Japan, China, and Russia is where it's being utilized more.  In the US there's still a lot of resistance to 'why should I use the blockchain'.  Also there's a lot of B2B use cases currently, more than B2C but that could change as the technology improves.

As I do more research into ICO's and altcoins, one of the questions you have to ask is does this project require the use of the blockchain?  There are some projects out there that sound interesting but doesn't really require blockchain technology at all.  Those are ones that I think will be hit when the crash happens...