Bitcoin

BayRaider

1 hour ago, tima said:

FYI, just got off the phone with my bank (Capital One) and they said that they are no longer allowing credit card purchases of cryptocurrencies from BitStamp due to possibility of fraud. I was able to do that on 1/11/2018.

This kind of sucks, because this is the only place I'm able to deposit money at the moment.

I've mainly used coinbase but I'm thinking about switching to Gemini.  I hear good things about it and signed up for an account.  Just haven't transferred any money into it...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

TRX is recovering quickly.  I don't like TRX long term, but hell I don't need to for you to make good money on it...xD

Hahaha, I waited for a plummet, and bought last night at $0.04.  I like it long term, if we're talking 4-6 year mark.  It's niche is incredibly lucrative; hopefully the rest of the investing world agrees.

6 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

I've mainly used coinbase but I'm thinking about switching to Gemini.  I hear good things about it and signed up for an account.  Just haven't transferred any money into it...

GDAX is a partner of Coinbase, and infact their transfer fees are much less.  I'm not sure if they're permitting CC based BTC purchases but it's certainly worth looking into transferring your coins into.

Edited by Super4

59 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

Yeah just signed up to Coinbase and it was pretty easy to connect my bank account. But the funds arrive a week later... That's a good and a bad thing, can help with not making impulsive buys lol but then you can miss out on whatever price you want to buy in.

My credit card doesn't work on Coinbase either, seems like Capital One just stopped everything using credit cards. A debit card works.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, tima said:

Yeah just signed up to Coinbase and it was pretty easy to connect my bank account. But the funds arrive a week later... That's a good and a bad thing, can help with not making impulsive buys lol but then you can miss out on whatever price you want to buy in.

My credit card doesn't work on Coinbase either, seems like Capital One just stopped everything using credit cards. A debit card works.

The main issue is that it's BTC that's actually pulling up the delay (funds arriving a week later)... and not Coinbase themselves.  If you purchase LTC or ETH those are arriving within a day or two, sometimes less.  Purchases are being bogged down with BTC because the pipeline if overloaded.  If you're looking to get into some Altcoins, the best bet if using Coinbase is purchase ETH or LTC, transfer those to an exchange, and use those to purchase your Altcoins with.  In some cases, you may need to exchange them for BTC once on the exchange and then purchase your Altcoin if it's supported and traded against by BTC.  It's what I had to do with Tron (TRX) and it took less than a day altogether.

Edited by Super4
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Super4 said:

The main issue is that it's BTC that's actually pulling up the delay (funds arriving a week later)... and not Coinbase themselves.  If you purchase LTC or ETH those are arriving within a day or two, sometimes less.  Purchases are being bogged down with BTC because the pipeline if overloaded.  If you're looking to get into some Altcoins, the best bet if using Coinbase is purchase ETH or LTC, transfer those to an exchange, and use those to purchase your Altcoins with.  In some cases, you may need to exchange them for BTC once on the exchange and then purchase your Altcoin if it's supported and traded against by BTC.  It's what I had to do with Tron (TRX) and it took less than a day altogether.

Thanks! I didn't even think about buying ETH or LTC because I didn't want to trade it again for BTC and then buy other coins. I will definitely do that next time.

Edited by tima
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, mitty18 said:

I own 489 lite coin right now, bought in when they were .13.  Wish I would have cashed out when they were almost $350 a coin.  Now they dropped like a tank, and are recovering, yes, but dammit.  

Lucky guy. WIsh I knew about this crap back then. They'll get back up to  $350, I'm sure of it.

6 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

Lucky guy. WIsh I knew about this crap back then. They'll get back up to  $350, I'm sure of it.

Hindsight being 20/20, I wish I would have bucked up and bought bitcoin for around $13 instead, but I had no idea bitcoin would take off like it did.  If I would have invested the same amount of money into bitcoin at the time, I would have been a millionaire by now.  With bitcoin being as volatile as it is, I wouldn't invest in it now.  But I was a dumb college kid back then.  I have recently invested in xrp as well, so hoping that will take off soon.  Even if it gets up to $10 a coin, I still will make well into 5 figures.  *shrugs*

I also just recently started telling people that I own this many coins, because when I invested in it, I ended up maxing out a couple credit cards to get the coins.  It was a lot of money to invest in something so unknown at the time, and I was a little bit embarrassed to admit it.  My parents would have killed me if they knew I spent that much money on a gamble, but now they know, and they are proud of me for investing in something so unknown.

My whole thing was to save up for retirement.  If Litecoin hits a point where I can cash out and get a million, then I will and retire or invest that into a business.  I'm 27 right now, hoping to retire by 35.  we'll see i guess.  

1 hour ago, mitty18 said:

I own 489 lite coin right now, bought in when they were .13.  Wish I would have cashed out when they were almost $350 a coin.  Now they dropped like a tank, and are recovering, yes, but dammit.  

Jesus.  170k profit.  I would have struggled to hold onto it as long as you did.

1 hour ago, mitty18 said:

You're still ahead of 99.999% of people so don't worry.  Everyone has a "I should have brought more", "I should have sold at this point", "I should have brought more at this dip", etc...

For me I'm going to try and do some math to see what number I need to cash out on to pay off my mortgages.  I don't have a number right now when to exit, which I think I should have...