Bitcoin

BayRaider

8 hours ago, BayRaider said:

The best place for Ethereum and all ERC20 Tokens (coins based the Ethereum blockchain) is MEW (MyEtherWallet).

Best wallet for everything else is Ledger Nano S like Buck stated. However, ONLY buy these on their website. All the ones off the website including all the ones on Amazon have been tampered with. They do NOT sell on Amazon. 

Unfortunately they won't be shipping anymore Ledger Nano's until March 26th. And that's if you pre order now. 

This simply just isnt true 

6 hours ago, jonu62882 said:

Wait, I bought mine a while ago on Amazon...so this is fake?!  I have yet to use it.

https://imgur.com/a/4CEfY

Its real. The hardware in the Nano S cant be tampered. As long as the Nano S generates the "KEYS" during setup then you have 1000000% secure....The only way people have "tampered" with the Nano S is sent it with the "KEYS" pre-loaded and fake instructions. 

10 minutes ago, Knowledge said:

Its real. The hardware in the Nano S cant be tampered. As long as the Nano S generates the "KEYS" during setup then you have 1000000% secure....The only way people have "tampered" with the Nano S is sent it with the "KEYS" pre-loaded and fake instructions. 

This is absolutely incorrect. ANY hardware can be tampered with. It is completely advised by the Ledger team and tons of knowledgeable (no pun intended) to only get your Ledger Nanos directly from the source. 

Are you really gonna risk thousands over even a small percentage?

Edited by BayRaider

9 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

This is absolutely incorrect. ANY hardware can be tampered with. It is completely advised by the Ledger team and tons of knowledgeable (no pun intended) to only get your Ledger Nanos directly from the source. 

It's not a surprise that the Ledger team doesn't want you buying from third parties. It might help people here if you cited knowledgeable people with nothing to gain financially explaining why he'd be at risk.

7 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Again. As long as the Nano S generates the "KEYS" its safe. Any Nano S you receive you can simply restore to default to make sure. The hardware CANNOT be tampered on the Nano S. It syncs with the computer every time its plugged in. If its tampered with it simply wont work 

5 hours ago, Knowledge said:

Again. As long as the Nano S generates the "KEYS" its safe. Any Nano S you receive you can simply restore to default to make sure. The hardware CANNOT be tampered on the Nano S. It syncs with the computer every time its plugged in. If its tampered with it simply wont work 

Cannot is a strong word. The hardware does not sync anything, there is some code on the flash drive that does that. Just like there is code that generates those keys.

If we get another drop in the next month, I would suggest picking up some NEO if you guys don't already own some (Assuming NEO dips as well).  It's been carrying my portfolio over the past month (That and ETH). I like the project and they are launching more ICOs (them and Stellar due to congestion/expense for ETH lately).

I'm thinking about picking up some XLM as well.  Probably the only top 20 coin that I don't own that I want to...

1 hour ago, TheVillain112 said:

If we get another drop in the next month, I would suggest picking up some NEO if you guys don't already own some (Assuming NEO dips as well).  It's been carrying my portfolio over the past month (That and ETH). I like the project and they are launching more ICOs (them and Stellar due to congestion/expense for ETH lately).

I'm thinking about picking up some XLM as well.  Probably the only top 20 coin that I don't own that I want to...

You like Stellar that much? I've been contemplating throwing a little extra cash at them in the next week. If so, why do you like it so much?

1 hour ago, JTagg7754 said:

You like Stellar that much? I've been contemplating throwing a little extra cash at them in the next week. If so, why do you like it so much?

Well, it's not necessarily that I like XLM that much as it is hedging.  So XLM, BTC, ETH, NEO, ADA, LTC, IOTA, BCASH, TRX, etc... are all competing for the same users/icos (For the most part, granted IOTA is a bit different).  They are platforms for dApps to deploy on.  Right now I own BTC, ETH, IOTA, and NEO.  I'm happy with that mix, so if one takes off let's say NEO, and ETH stumbles, I'm fine.  I don't care about owning  TRX, BCASH (BTRASH), or ADA.  XLM is intriguing though.  Reading about how some ICO's like the speed/lower cost model it provides versus even ETH.

The only 'risk' I guess I have, granted it's a small one, is if XLM ends up being the dominant player and ETH, NEO, BTC, etc... start to tank, and I own zero of XLM, I might need to make sure I sell before bottom hits.  At a certain point, I'm assuming that there will be consolidation and not every coin will keep rising.  Granted I don't think that will be 2018 so I have time.  Some cream will rise to the top eventually IMO.  And the cheapest I'm going to get that coin is now...

5 hours ago, tima said:

Cannot is a strong word. The hardware does not sync anything, there is some code on the flash drive that does that. Just like there is code that generates those keys.

The Ledger connects with the Ledger application each time its plugged in. Sync with PC was the wrong wording. It wont work if the Hardware as been compromised. This is why Ledger Nano S no longer uses a Tamper proof seal/sticker 

To my knowledge the Nano S hardware as never been compromised. The only thing they've done is sent Ledgers with pre-loaded keys and fake instructions. Other hardware wallets like Trezor has had their hardware compromised and hacked 

Edited by Knowledge

1 minute ago, Knowledge said:

To my knowledge the Nano S hardware as never been compromised. The only thing they've done is sent Ledgers with pre-loaded keys and fake instructions. Other hardware wallets like Trezor has had their hardware compromised and hacked 

I think we're arguing semantics here, but I believe this is what the other side is debating.  While it hasn't been done yet, that does not mean it can't be accomplished...

What do you do if you lose one of those Ledger wallets?  I'm guessing your are SOL, unless there is some method of backing up the info while being able to maintain the security and integrity of the device, though I'm not able to imagine how you would do that at this point.

Thats my biggest fear from that.  If I get my wallet hacked into and my currency stolen, thats one thing.  If I lose my cryptocurrency just because I lost my hardware wallet, I'd probably go insane.  If I bought that thing I'd likely have to put it on a keychain and get one of those gps tags on them so that if I lose it I don't have a panic attack.

Edited by TankWilliams
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

Yea still haven't picked up XLm but I'm about too. 

13 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

What do you do if you lose one of those Ledger wallets?  I'm guessing your are SOL, unless there is some method of backing up the info while being able to maintain the security and integrity of the device, though I'm not able to imagine how you would do that at this point.

Thats my biggest fear from that.  If I get my wallet hacked into and my currency stolen, thats one thing.  If I lose my cryptocurrency just because I lost my hardware wallet, I'd probably go insane.  If I bought that thing I'd likely have to put it on a keychain and get one of those gps tags on them so that if I lose it I don't have a panic attack.

Get a secret safe. Put the flash drive in there. Don't touch it and only use it at home. 

2 hours ago, TankWilliams said:

Its just like any other crypto wallet. It generates 12 random words that are your KEYS. if you lose your Nano S you can just enter the 12 KEYS into another Nano S and all your funds appear. So youre just out the cost of the Nano S. It comes with a keychain and neck tether so all the ladies no you got cryptos B|

Edited by Knowledge