Pick 7 or Pick 12? Which do you prefer?

JaguarCrazy2832

We did our drawing for our order and I got 12th in a 12 man Non-PPR league. I'm not thrilled. The guy with the 7th pick offered to completely change spots with me. 

Which would you rather have and why? 

RBs go crazy fast but I'm not even sure if I like a RB enough to go 7 there but I can almost guarantee Julio Jones and/or Michael Thomas will be there at 12 bc RBs go so crazy fast

Edited by JaguarCrazy2832

I probably take the 7th pick but that's just me. Do you know who's drafting 1-6? Have you been in this league for awhile? Could someone in the top 6 shock the league and take a WR or even a QB in one of those spots? In my league i've been in for over 10 years I have a good idea of what a lot of them are going to do in the 1st round. 

In a non-PPR league, I just think RB is even more important than they are in a PPR league and getting one in the 1st round is almost a must. Assuming that you have a top 6 of..Barkley-Zeke-McCaffrey-Kamara-Bell-Johnson......I'd probably take Melvin, Gurley or Mixon over any of the WRs. Obviously I'd want the Gordon situation to settle itself before I felt great about it though. 

I'll tell you this too...Last year I did something very similar. I had the 9th pick and was looking to take a RB but when it came to my pick, I didn't feel comfortable with any of them, so I went a head and took Antonio in the 1st, and Julio in the 2nd.....and my team started the season off 1-6 because my RBs were just garbage. It wasn't until I traded Antonio + Lamar Miller for Zeke and Julio for Kerryon + Golladay  that I started rolling off some wins and finished 7-7. 

Edited by holt_bruce81

1 hour ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I probably take the 7th pick but that's just me. Do you know who's drafting 1-6? Have you been in this league for awhile? Could someone in the top 6 shock the league and take a WR or even a QB in one of those spots? In my league i've been in for over 10 years I have a good idea of what a lot of them are going to do in the 1st round. 

In a non-PPR league, I just think RB is even more important than they are in a PPR league and getting one in the 1st round is almost a must. Assuming that you have a top 6 of..Barkley-Zeke-McCaffrey-Kamara-Bell-Johnson......I'd probably take Melvin, Gurley or Mixon over any of the WRs. Obviously I'd want the Gordon situation to settle itself before I felt great about it though. 

Yes been drafting with most of this group for 12 years or so now.

Considering when we were picking our order and the 1st 3 picks were gone and the 4th guy took 5th I’m assuming he is all in on:

Kamara, Barkley,Zeke, Bell and CMC

Its possible he loves DJ over Bell but i doubt it. HIGHLY unlikely someone takes a WR top-5 as there isnt a clearcut AB-like outlier this year as opposed to years prior and RBs go VERY fast

The Gordon situation worries me. Ideally I’d get DJ at 7 but he just might not last and if he and the 5 above are gone then I’m not happy about 7. 

1 hour ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I'll tell you this too...Last year I did something very similar. I had the 9th pick and was looking to take a RB but when it came to my pick, I didn't feel comfortable with any of them, so I went a head and took Antonio in the 1st, and Julio in the 2nd.....and my team started the season off 1-6 because my RBs were just garbage. It wasn't until I traded Antonio + Lamar Miller for Zeke and Julio for Kerryon + Golladay  that I started rolling off some wins and finished 7-7. 

That’s my concern if i dont get one in round 1(assuming i draft 7th) most everyone(that i trust and is close to ADP) will be gone by 18 so i have to hope the 3rd/4th are more fruitful at RB

If DJ is gone, i want to be 12th but if he’s there I’m fine with 7th. I just dont think i can trust Gordon, Gurley or Conner and if I’m taking a WR round 1, i might as well pick 12th and take Julio/Thomas

Edited by JaguarCrazy2832

On 7/29/2019 at 7:13 PM, holt_bruce81 said:

Hey so the guy with 7 backed out. I know its 1 spot, but would you move from 12 to 8 instead?

Non PPR makes it tough but I'd probably stay at #12 if you don't have a true RB target at #8. At #12 I'd nab an elite receiver and pick your favorite R2 RB, be it Freeman, Fournette, Gordon maybe, etc. Unless you really believe in the RBs being drafted around 36-37 and want to draft 2 then hoping one hits. Then I'd go WR/WR or WR/Kelce.

51 minutes ago, bigjohnson2009 said:

Non PPR makes it tough but I'd probably stay at #12 if you don't have a true RB target at #8. At #12 I'd nab an elite receiver and pick your favorite R2 RB, be it Freeman, Fournette, Gordon maybe, etc. Unless you really believe in the RBs being drafted around 36-37 and want to draft 2 then hoping one hits. Then I'd go WR/WR or WR/Kelce.

Thing is the 1st 2 RBs you mentioned I absolutely wouldn’t take there and Gordon either falls bc he isnt in camp or he will be traded and wont fall that far

7th can land you probably one of Connor or Bell or an elite WR which is better then anything at 12 (OBJ, Mixon, Hill).  Plus on the turn you can still land either a solid RB (Gurley, Williams, Mixon) or a high level WR (Brown, Evans, Hilton).

7th all day IMO.

12 is easier during the draft.
If you are inexperienced, go with that.

7 presents more of a challenge, but increases the likelihood you will get a full-time-1 starter.
That spot helps carry you and is easier to manage during the season.
It also gives you a bigger trade piece if your league is trade-friendly.

Size up your situation.