Week 2 Poll Discussion

naptownskinsfan

29 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I guess it’s about what I expected. 

Even as a Georgia fan, I wouldn't complain about them leapfrogging us to #3 at this point.   Washington dropping so far is also a bit surprising, but I also expected them to maybe be out of it completely.  Really, really odd to see Maryland and Virginia on the poll, and welcome back to USC. 

3 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Even as a Georgia fan, I wouldn't complain about them leapfrogging us to #3 at this point.   Washington dropping so far is also a bit surprising, but I also expected them to maybe be out of it completely.  Really, really odd to see Maryland and Virginia on the poll, and welcome back to USC. 

I’ve suggested it before, but I’d like to see them get rid of preseason polls altogether and when they start ranking teams, just base it on this year. If you are just looking at the two games that have been played, go ahead and rank LSU first. I don’t think that’s where they will end up eventually, but I also don’t think that past precedent is relevant and should weigh in on what the polls look like right now.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I’ve suggested it before, but I’d like to see them get rid of preseason polls altogether and when they start ranking teams, just base it on this year. If you are just looking at the two games that have been played, go ahead and rank LSU first. I don’t think that’s where they will end up eventually, but I also don’t think that past precedent is relevant and should weigh in on what the polls look like right now.

So you go into the season based off last year's final rankings, or just create a clean slate?  That would certainly make some teams make sure they aren't scheduling inferior competition, especially to start.  But I don't think you can fully get rid of some of the biases for the big programs.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

So you go into the season based off last year's final rankings, or just create a clean slate?  That would certainly make some teams make sure they aren't scheduling inferior competition, especially to start.  But I don't think you can fully get rid of some of the biases for the big programs.  

Yeah, the biases for the major programs won’t go away. I don’t really have a solution for that. But I don’t necessarily agree when the major programs with equivalent resumes get the obvious benefit over teams that have looked similar and have possibly a better resume. So I guess if you are going to continue with the early-season polls, I would at least like to see it more as a fluid situation. You don’t have to stay locked in at a couple of teams if someone else makes them self known with impressive wins. If this season is what we are basing things on, just go ahead and put LSU and Wisconsin at or near the top. I don’t think they're two of the five best teams in the country, but I also haven’t seen anything this season that hasn’t indicated that. If it was up to me, which it’s obviously not, I wouldn’t have preseason rankings and I would start ranking teams maybe after a few weeks heading into conference play for most. 

Edited by NateDawg
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Yeah, the biases for the major programs won’t go away. I don’t really have a solution for that. But I don’t necessarily agree when the major programs with equivalent resumes get the obvious benefit over teams that have looked similar and have possibly a better resume. So I guess if you are going to continue with the early-season polls, I would at least like to see it more as a fluid situation. You don’t have to stay locked in at a couple of teams if someone else makes them self known with impressive wins. If this season is what we are basing things on, just go ahead and put LSU and Wisconsin at or near the top. I don’t think they're two of the five best teams in the country, but I also haven’t seen anything this season that hasn’t indicated that. If it was up to me, which it’s obviously not, I wouldn’t have preseason rankings and I would start ranking teams maybe after a few weeks heading into conference play for most. 

Kind of like how the Committee supposedly does it?  Though I think htey pretty much take the AP Top 25 and make a few changes so it's not obvious what they are doing.

1 hour ago, Raves said:

Kind of like how the Committee supposedly does it?  Though I think htey pretty much take the AP Top 25 and make a few changes so it's not obvious what they are doing.

Yeah, it is definitely still a subjective process. I think the playoff was definitely a step in the right direction. I do at least like that (in theory) the playoff system factors in this season and waits until a bunch of games are played. 

19 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

A few Terps fans have come into the forum briefly over the past month, I'd love to see more.  It's great to see the program looking to be on the way up. 

Thanks man, definitely an exciting time...and not one we're used to. We were ranked in the top25 a grand total of one week when i went to Maryland from 2010-2014. The Edsall days were DARK. 

Thinking Locksley's ties in the area may be able to turn this thing around in the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Thanks man, definitely an exciting time...and not one we're used to. We were ranked in the top25 a grand total of one week when i went to Maryland from 2010-2014. The Edsall days were DARK. 

Thinking Locksley's ties in the area may be able to turn this thing around in the foreseeable future.

Maryland's biggest issue for years was letting recruits from in the state get away, so if Locksley helps stem that tide, Maryland will be in good shape.  Not to mention, he probably helps secure more recruits from the surrounding states, including Ohio, then most other coaches.  Donors and leadership at Maryland have always wanted the football program to be on par with the basketball program, so at least you've got their backing, and they aren't fighting it to protect the basketball program. 

• Like 1