Minkah Fitzpatrick

mwalker

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

I brought up this idea in another thread, but I think that bringing in Mike McCoy as a consultant for Fichtner with the purpose of helping to gameplan and be better at play calling.  I'm not sure I would use 2018 Cardinals as the best look at what McCoy is as a play caller.  That team was terrible.

The Cardinals were bad, but McCoy was extremely blah there and his biggest sin in my eyes was not understanding how to use a star like David Johnson. He used him between the tackles and never got him in space and rarely used him in the passing game. It just felt like watching that offense that the league had passed the playcalling by, and thats what I want to avoid. Leftwhich had no play calling experience and immediately stepped in and was better than McCoy. 

In terms of an offensive consultant, I am all for that. Unfortunately in terms of guys available and guys who would fit -- Haley is probably at the top of that list, but that ones never happening again with Ben still in the room. 

Two guys I would throw feelers out there for the role? Urban Meyer and Mark Richt. I would sell Meyer on this being a part time gig -- Monday through Thursday/Friday kinda role. The evolution of offense in the pros starts in college and those were two pretty good O minds that are sitting on sets right now. Maybe we could sell them on itching that coaching scratch on a part time basis so they can have the best of both worlds right now and not have to commit. 

Just now, Dcash4 said:

He used him between the tackles and never got him in space and rarely used him in the passing game.

....I think that’s exactly what we need. 9/34 of Conner’s carries have come between the tackles. 3/4 of Conner’s longest runs have come...between the tackles. Conner is averaging 4.5 YPC....between the tackles. 

I know on the OL an easy thing to do is blame the decline on the loss of Munchak, but clearly the issue is playcalling and usage. These guys are built to go downhill. Not side to side. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, warfelg said:

....I think that’s exactly what we need. 9/34 of Conner’s carries have come between the tackles. 3/4 of Conner’s longest runs have come...between the tackles. Conner is averaging 4.5 YPC....between the tackles. 

I know on the OL an easy thing to do is blame the decline on the loss of Munchak, but clearly the issue is playcalling and usage. These guys are built to go downhill. Not side to side. 

We are prob going to differ on this a little at least. 

I'm all for running in between the tackles more with Connor and specifically lining up under center more...but I think you need to do ALL things and be flexible. Connors good up the middle, but was also good in space on the edge last year. Jaylen is good in space too. Johnson could be a screen candidate to make people miss, JuJu is one because he is tough. We need to go horizontal just as much as we need to go between the tackles and just as much as we need to go vertical. 

What McCoy failed to do was understand the strengths of his team -- specifically DJ -- and that's what we are currently undergoing.

We are just so bland with our running game right now, and part of that is because there is no fear on the edges for defenses. Connor had success out of the gun last year, but its so Penn State this year. Barkley is lined up to the left of McSorley? Oh -- your running to the right behind a pulling guard. Now Barkley is on McSorleys right? Guess your coming to the left this time. 

The screen game and undercenter disappearing is killing me right now. We have no idea how to control eyes. Hopefully the offensive coaches watch the SF game tape....but just, the SF offensive side of it. 

2 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

We are prob going to differ on this a little at least. 

I'm all for running in between the tackles more with Connor and specifically lining up under center more...but I think you need to do ALL things and be flexible. Connors good up the middle, but was also good in space on the edge last year. Jaylen is good in space too. Johnson could be a screen candidate to make people miss, JuJu is one because he is tough. We need to go horizontal just as much as we need to go between the tackles and just as much as we need to go vertical. 

What McCoy failed to do was understand the strengths of his team -- specifically DJ -- and that's what we are currently undergoing.

We are just so bland with our running game right now, and part of that is because there is no fear on the edges for defenses. Connor had success out of the gun last year, but its so Penn State this year. Barkley is lined up to the left of McSorley? Oh -- your running to the right behind a pulling guard. Now Barkley is on McSorleys right? Guess your coming to the left this time. 

The screen game and undercenter disappearing is killing me right now. We have no idea how to control eyes. Hopefully the offensive coaches watch the SF game tape....but just, the SF offensive side of it. 

I think why we differ is that a little bit of bland would do this team well tbh. We run too many sidecar sweeps. Getting more I formation punch out the teeth is needed. And that’s what McCoy does well. Conner isn’t a RB like Barkley that can do well out of any formation. I think Conner caught teams off balance last year, and instead of acting like he has James Conner, Fichtner is acting like it’s still Bell back there and defenses don’t fear that.  

17 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I think why we differ is that a little bit of bland would do this team well tbh. We run too many sidecar sweeps. Getting more I formation punch out the teeth is needed. And that’s what McCoy does well. Conner isn’t a RB like Barkley that can do well out of any formation. I think Conner caught teams off balance last year, and instead of acting like he has James Conner, Fichtner is acting like it’s still Bell back there and defenses don’t fear that.  

I wasnt trying to compare Connor to Barkley -- just illustrating how I believe the OC at Penn State is brain dead because of how simplistic he was but how his talent showed out. 

Yeah we are going to have some different philosophies. I dont think bland works unless our D is ready to hold everyone to 15 or less again. I think you can be varied and simplistic. I really dont think its that hard, but we dont show the offensive intelligence to put together a gameplan that actually helps the players on the field. 

Connor has had NFL success being a bit of a jack of all, but yes I would like to see him used more with his best trait -- being a north/south one cut guy. Im as out on I formation as a main package as you can be. I want nothing to do with a FB playing anymore than 5-10 snaps per. We already have no threat of stretching the field and going heavy I Form will just bring more guys into the box and our receivers are not showing that they can win consistently enough as route runners to warrant that. 

Dont disagree at all about Connor catching people off guard last year. I think they loaded up to stop Ben, JuJu, and Brown and got hit in the nose a couple times with our OLine and Connor. Without the passing game being a threat, specifically horizontally (sorry, Im gonna touch on that a ton...I dont understand where the receivers being an extension of our run game has gone) teams are just going to sit with 8-9 guys within 10-12 yards of the line and dare us to beat them with guys who are not proving they can beat them. 

I think we need to get Holton/DJ involved more. We need to work under center with Connor on stretch plays. We need to work PA action off that and role Mason some to cut the field in half with layered routes. We need to involve the LBers going sideline to sideline with the screen game. And for the love of god, Fitchner needs to look up what Combo Routes means. Individual receivers running individual routes without them working together is pointless unless you have someone whose a top tier guy. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

No.  because instilling a new language mid season is Impossibly stupid TBH.  Unless McCoy just used Fichtners playbook it's silly to change that much.  Best off this year is just have McCoy to watch the film, develop the gameplan, and have a headset sitting in the booth on Sundays.

While I'm not sure about firing Fich during the season,  keeping the playbook (It's the same one when Ben was the presumed starter) and just changing WHEN certain plays are called would make a big difference. 

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/10/9/20902571/minkah-fitzpatrick-is-mastering-the-abc-d-s-of-safety-for-the-steelers-dolphins-keith-butler-nfl

by FINALLY getting a legit safety, look at how it's helped the D.  While this team is 1-4 , it could very well be 4-1 if  the offence had any other OC in the league, all the losses were that close and Minkah's arrival has much to do with it. If Davis never got hurt, I doubt Minkah would be here, what about you?

861BB772_B27D_486D_8747_BE11942CC9A4.png

5 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Minkah for the cost of a 1st was a good choice. Even if it's a top 5 pick, this, imo is a player that has that kind of value 

yeah, thats how I see it and that stat sheet above really tells the story. In NO time, he has made that much of a difference. If he could also be the OC, this team would start winning .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Blitzburgh said:

Seems like there have been a ton of trades this year. Is the nfl turning into the NBA or is this coming draft class just bad?

I think NFL trades have been trending up in the past 2-3 years

last year someone speculated that its because of younger GMs being more aggressive and looking at draft capital in a different way. guess its rubbed off on colbert since he's been more active in the trade market.

On 2019-09-23 at 10:38 AM, Chieferific said:

While I'm not sure about firing Fich during the season,  keeping the playbook (It's the same one when Ben was the presumed starter) and just changing WHEN certain plays are called would make a big difference. 

firing during the season never seems like a good idea unless it is really bad. I liked the play calling vs the chargers, if he stays with that we win most of our games as long as the QB play is decent or better.  Burns let the chargers get back into the game, if he doesn't play, I doubt they get back into the game. Enough of that game though, it's onto the dolphins game and what should be a lopsided victory. I expect many TO's from the defence 

6 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

firing during the season never seems like a good idea unless it is really bad. I liked the play calling vs the chargers, if he stays with that we win most of our games as long as the QB play is decent or better.  Burns let the chargers get back into the game, if he doesn't play, I doubt they get back into the game. Enough of that game though, it's onto the dolphins game and what should be a lopsided victory. I expect many TO's from the defence 

This isn't true. Your hate has blinded you. 

• Like 1