General News and Notes

.Buzz

57 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Strong disagree.

Hayden has played amazingly since coming here and definitely went on a stretch where I personally thought was our best defensive player even out there this year.

He does good but theres a huge reason why the team had Herndon move up to starter over him and if u look statwise herndon did well. 

Also our nb in waahs scheme make them seem better then what they are see colvin to texans

2 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

He does good but theres a huge reason why the team had Herndon move up to starter over him and if u look statwise herndon did well. 

Also our nb in waahs scheme make them seem better then what they are see colvin to texans

Because Herndon is a better fit on the outside?

Just because he's a nb doesn't mean you should take away what he's done. I realize what Colvin was here as well, but I'm not cutting a guy that has played as well as he has right now. 

Edited by .Buzz

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

Because Herndon is a better fit on the outside?

Just because he's a nb doesn't mean you should take away what he's done. I realize what Colvin was here as well, but I'm not cutting a guy that has played as well as he has right now. 

hayden is equally effective as inside as a NB and outside per madden.   i still dont see the 8 million dollar VALUE TO A GUY where u can get a Cheap guy that can play the role well.   u want to cut Bouye who can play NB and outside cuz he makes 14 million but your fine keeping a guy who makes 8 million as just a slot guy.    he was pretty good this year but u want to cut bouye who pretty much contained the NFL'S best WR to 6 catches and 48 yards but want to keep a guy who has had 1 good year.   u can save More Money cutting Hayden and signing say Aaron Colvin who did well in our Nickle position for Much Less(he made like 800k this year.   theres a good number of Corners in the draft that can play NB and theres a good number that are free agents.  if im looking at cutting cost im cutting Hayden over bouye cuz Bouye has shown the ability to be a very good number 2 Corner.  

2 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

hayden is equally effective as inside as a NB and outside per madden.   i still dont see the 8 million dollar VALUE TO A GUY where u can get a Cheap guy that can play the role well.   u want to cut Bouye who can play NB and outside cuz he makes 14 million but your fine keeping a guy who makes 8 million as just a slot guy.    he was pretty good this year but u want to cut bouye who pretty much contained the NFL'S best WR to 6 catches and 48 yards but want to keep a guy who has had 1 good year.   u can save More Money cutting Hayden and signing say Aaron Colvin who did well in our Nickle position for Much Less(he made like 800k this year.   theres a good number of Corners in the draft that can play NB and theres a good number that are free agents.  if im looking at cutting cost im cutting Hayden over bouye cuz Bouye has shown the ability to be a very good number 2 Corner.  

Ok, are we really referencing Madden here to present an argument...

We have holes all across the defense and Hayden has proven to be an above average corner at a reasonable cap hit considering his play. He's a leader in that corner room and brings toughness to that secondary group while having good flexibility back there.

I'll be disappointed if we keep Bouye at his cap hit the way he's played outside of the Nuk/Texans game and let go of Hayden. I'd much rather take a young corner (which we should regardless of Bouye being here or not) and pick up a solid cheaper option in FA while keeping Hayden.

Bouye was not good outside of the Texans game and D. Hop wasn’t that impressive to me all year by his standard of play. Hayden while playing solid throughout the year in the slot we don’t know exactly how he’d look playing on the outside if we needed him to that’s my dilemma with Hayden. I’m in full support of letting Bouye walk while keeping Hayden though If I’m the Jags I’m not comfortable paying Bouye at 14 mill next yr based off the production the Jags got last yr. 

• Like 1

Just now, DuvalsKing said:

Bouye was not good outside of the Texans game and D. Hop wasn’t that impressive to me all year by his standard of play. Hayden while playing solid throughout the year in the slot we don’t know exactly how he’d look playing on the outside if we needed him to that’s my dilemma with Hayden. I’m in full support of letting Bouye walk while keeping Hayden though If I’m the Jags I’m not comfortable paying Bouye at 14 mill next yr based off the production the Jags got last yr. 

Exactly my point.

Bouye was elite in 2017. These past two years he hasn't been on that level whatsoever. I'm just not into paying elite money for a "good" corner. 

Hayden we know is very good/top end in the slot while being paid similar to his play. 

It's just easy for me. I don't think our pass D drops off that much if you ditch Bouye and get a high round rookie and/or solid vet CB in FA market. Hell, there's upside for it to even improve imo.

3 hours ago, DuvalsKing said:

if u complain about Bouye then u have to get 2 NEW starting  corners cuz Tre Herndon by the grades of PFF was slightly worse and while PFF isnt the end all be all he was average at best so we need more like 2 Vets and a higher pick unless we get lucky and find some hidden gem that fits the scheme well ala richard sherman in the draft.  the GM and HC are having to GM/Coach for their next contract and im pretty sure they would rather roll with what they have in bouye then gamble in FA after cutting him.  

to give ya an idea what Sherman produced as a 5th Round rookie.

16 games played 10 Starts  55 tackles 4 ints 17 Pass Defensed 1 forced fumble. 

3 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

if u complain about Bouye then u have to get 2 NEW starting  corners cuz Tre Herndon by the grades of PFF was slightly worse and while PFF isnt the end all be all he was average at best so we need more like 2 Vets and a higher pick unless we get lucky and find some hidden gem that fits the scheme well ala richard sherman in the draft.  the GM and HC are having to GM/Coach for their next contract and im pretty sure they would rather roll with what they have in bouye then gamble in FA after cutting him.  

to give ya an idea what Sherman produced as a 5th Round rookie.

16 games played 10 Starts  55 tackles 4 ints 17 Pass Defensed 1 forced fumble. 

Herndon was a first year starter UDFA who made tremendous progress as the season went on. 

You're completely missing the point. Bouye is a starting CB in this league. He's not a 14M corner, which is the whole point.

Herndon is making change and provides upside as he gets more reps. He was tossed to the wolves when Ramsey got dealt and held up for the most part. I have zero qualms with him as a #2 corner as we go into next season.

Edited by .Buzz

15 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Herndon was a first year starter UDFA who made tremendous progress as the season went on. 

You're completely missing the point. Bouye is a starting CB in this league. He's not a 14M corner, which is the whole point.

Herndon is making change and provides upside as he gets more reps. He was tossed to the wolves when Ramsey got dealt and held up for the most part. I have zero qualms with him as a #2 corner as we go into next season.

id go for a restructure on him but im not cutting him. we dont need his 14 million cuz Ngakoue is gonna leave so who we do we need it for?

25 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

id go for a restructure on him but im not cutting him. we dont need his 14 million cuz Ngakoue is gonna leave so who we do we need it for?

FA. We desperately need a veteran TE, NT, LBs, maybe a WR, potentially OL help unless we want to go all draft.

Obviously if Bouye is willing to restructure you keep him. It takes both sides to come to that though. 

2 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

FA. We desperately need a veteran TE, NT, LBs, maybe a WR, potentially OL help unless we want to go all draft.

Obviously if Bouye is willing to restructure you keep him. It takes both sides to come to that though. 

the staff seems to love AJ Cann for whatever unknown reason so i dont expect much of an upgrade coming via FA for OL unless ur talking depth because shatley and Ogbuehi are both FA's.   i dont really think we need a VET NT unless we cut Dareus and Abry jones.  we cut 1 of them and we probably need a replacement thats startable.   

LB im not entirely sure go look at LB unless its depth. im not worried about because Jacobs is locked in at Sam.  Jack is gonna be the MLB unless wash is fired. you spent a 3rd last draft on a LB/S hybrid who should be a good WLB.  i can get with a simmons pick depending whos there because simmons is an elite talent. 

TE help watch this manuever(we cut Swaim and Ryan and u got 10 million to go find your TE tho ebron is a weak blocker and Henry always misses a few games and Eifert is pretty much hurt alot.  LOOK at TE FA options in FA. i dont see a true upgrade at first glance outside those 3 guys.  

5 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

the staff seems to love AJ Cann for whatever unknown reason so i dont expect much of an upgrade coming via FA for OL unless ur talking depth because shatley and Ogbuehi are both FA's.   i dont really think we need a VET NT unless we cut Dareus and Abry jones.  we cut 1 of them and we probably need a replacement thats startable.   

LB im not entirely sure go look at LB unless its depth. im not worried about because Jacobs is locked in at Sam.  Jack is gonna be the MLB unless wash is fired. you spent a 3rd last draft on a LB/S hybrid who should be a good WLB.  i can get with a simmons pick depending whos there because simmons is an elite talent. 

TE help watch this manuever(we cut Swaim and Ryan and u got 10 million to go find your TE tho ebron is a weak blocker and Henry always misses a few games and Eifert is pretty much hurt alot.  LOOK at TE FA options in FA. i dont see a true upgrade at first glance outside those 3 guys.  

Dude, were going to get a few FA's. This team has way too many holes and you can't plug that in the draft. Caldwell said as much in his presser.

The team said they went to Gardner because the OLs pass pro wasn't good enough for Foles. They're not continuing with this unit. Jawaan is a lock, as is Linder I'd guess. Norwell has some dead cap if cut and I doubt we completely move on from Cam (I'd expect serious competition/he kicks inside and we try him there). They're going to have at least two new faces/different guys on the OL or much better depth to replace if need be.

TE's take time to develop. We can't fix that position with a draft pick. You get a vet TE, hope Oliver continues to develop, and JOS continues his strong play from last year.

We aren't going into next year with a mid rd pick at NT and Abry Jones at NT after our awful run D. We're just not. That position along with our LB corps pretty much single handedly gave us a 5 game stretch that was the worst stretch for a team in 30 years. Whether that's Phillips, Pierce, etc. we need to be in on one. Interior DL and LB depth is vital if this team is going to turn it around.

Last paragraph pretty much said it. We have Jack and a bunch of ok depth guys. We need someone that we can rely on in that LB room and Jack is coming off a down year. Trevathon, Littleton, Schobert, etc. would be a huge upgrade depending on defensive scheme.

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

Dude, were going to get a few FA's. This team has way too many holes and you can't plug that in the draft. Caldwell said as much in his presser.

The team said they went to Gardner because the OLs pass pro wasn't good enough for Foles. They're not continuing with this unit. Jawaan is a lock, as is Linder I'd guess. Norwell has some dead cap if cut and I doubt we completely move on from Cam (I'd expect serious competition/he kicks inside and we try him there). They're going to have at least two new faces/different guys on the OL or much better depth to replace if need be.

TE's take time to develop. We can't fix that position with a draft pick. You get a vet TE, hope Oliver continues to develop, and JOS continues his strong play from last year.

We aren't going into next year with a mid rd pick at NT and Abry Jones at NT after our awful run D. We're just not. That position along with our LB corps pretty much single handedly gave us a 5 game stretch that was the worst stretch for a team in 30 years. Whether that's Phillips, Pierce, etc. we need to be in on one. Interior DL and LB depth is vital if this team is going to turn it around.

Last paragraph pretty much said it. We have Jack and a bunch of ok depth guys. We need someone that we can rely on in that LB room and Jack is coming off a down year. Trevathon, Littleton, Schobert, etc. would be a huge upgrade depending on defensive scheme.

Every yr the Jags get a few free agents the question is will they be contributors or just bargain bin free cash give aways like Swaim and Ryan? 🤷‍♂️

Edited by DuvalsKing

4 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

Every yr the Jags get a few free agents the question is will they be contributors or just bargain bin free cash give aways like Swaim and Ryan? 🤷‍♂️

Meh, neither were high profile signings or costed much.

3 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Meh, neither were high profile signings or costed much.

I don’t think the Jags are in any type of position to sign anyone who is going to make significant impact.. when and if Yan ever is signed.. if it happens I don’t know what FA help you’ll be able to sign if any after a Yan deal is done. 🤷‍♂️