It’s times for Danny Dimes!

Gmen

13 minutes ago, Gmen said:

Why is this shocking? What has Darnold done to inspire confidence? He had one game last year that was anywhere close to Jones’ debut. Darnold is still living off predraft hype. Perceptions are hard to change. 

Darnold is widely considered a generational talent by a few highly regarded retired QBs (Romo, Warner, Namath, etc.) and the scouting community. I think Rex and others are getting a little ahead of themselves here with the Jones hype. He looks like a quality QB, but better than Darnold?

Edited by Howler

If Jones did end up becoming a Top 5 QB then scouting would have to factor in being tutored by an A+ QB coach at a young age. Cutcliffe in particular. Jones sure did look like a carbon copy of Peyton Manning out there. 

But like I said, it’s one game. We need two years of tape. Not to mention he played the worst secondary in football and overall Bottom 5-8 Defense. 

Next week he faces a slightly below average defense in Washington but better than Tampa Bay. Then he faces Minnesota and New England, two Top 10 Defenses. The next three weeks will be interesting. Like I said, I’m rootin for the guy. Peyton Manning is my favorite QB of all time and if he ends up Peyton Manning 2.0 I’ll be a fan. 

• Like 1

Another bullet in the Jones/Darnold comparison...

FYI Romo fearlessly compared Darnold to one Peyton Manning. He said that his processing is all-world. 

https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/is-tony-romo-predicting-jets-qb-sam-darnolds-future/302974770

Romo compared Darnold to Manning in the Simms and Lefkoe Show, too. He said both quarterbacks have the innate ability to shuffle two steps while a defender pressures in the pocket, without even being aware of it. Once a quarterback has that, Romo said, the ceiling is very high.

"Some players have the ability -- I call it spatial awareness, the instinctual ability to see leverage and get off a receiver when they're going through a progression far faster than other people -- that's probably the most underrated trait that people can't analyze," Romo said earlier this month. "They see running. They see movement. Or they see the big play. What they don't see is you got to the fourth receiver in 1.2 seconds, not 2.4. That's really the secret to the best players at that position, and I think Sam has some of those qualities."

Edited by Howler

3 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Not to mention he played the worst secondary in football and overall Bottom 5-8 Defense. 

What?? How can Daniel Jones play the Giants, when he’s on the Giants. The Bucs are a good defense. They shut down McCaffrey and Saquon, and they have the league leader in sacks. They pinned their ears backs and absolutely got after Jones, and he responded as well as you can hope from any quarterback, let alone a rookie in his first start.

It will be interesting to see how he plays with teams game planning for him now that Saquon is gone. He’s going to have to be patient and spread the ball around because teams are going to start dropping more defenders into coverage, against a very average receiving corp. If he can overcome the odds and play well without Saquon for this next stretch, that will be impressive.

3 minutes ago, Gmen said:

What?? How can Daniel Jones play the Giants, when he’s on the Giants. The Bucs are a good defense. They shut down McCaffrey and Saquon, and they have the league leader in sacks. They pinned their ears backs and absolutely got after Jones, and he responded as well as you can hope from any quarterback, let alone a rookie in his first start.

It will be interesting to see how he plays with teams game planning for him now that Saquon is gone. He’s going to have to be patient and spread the ball around because teams are going to start dropping more defenders into coverage, against a very average receiving corp. If he can overcome the odds and play well without Saquon for this next stretch, that will be impressive.

Cam Newton is probably the worst QB in football at the moment. The worst three secondarys in the league are Tampa, Kansas City, and New York. You can rank them any way you wish. Abysmal secondary's. 

I think Eisen has the stat about Jones being the first QB ever to put that stat line up blatantly wrong but he's making my point.  There have been plenty of reach picks, for crying out loud, in the same draft before Daniel Jones Mayock reached something fierce based on scouting reports.  I've never seen a pick as vilified as Jones.  Rich Eisen hasn't seen it in his 16 years of following the draft either. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1ha1QIiYcQ&feature=youtu.be

23 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

So what, the media just shouldn't even comment on picks? Blindly trust that every GM is doing what is best for their team? Right or wrong, that's not gonna happen, because that's boring and kills a pretty big industry lol. 

I see what you're saying in other regards, but I think at the moment there are 2 pretty distinct periods. College and combine, and then actual NFL play. The opinions that lead up to draft night are based on what has already happened, no wait and see necessary, the kneejerk reactions to their week 2 performance against an FCS school have come and gone. "We" (...well, the scouts) already saw, and we formed our opinion on them as PROSPECTS. Media felt Jones was a ___ prospect, not worthy of the #6 pick, hence their reaction. Once they're drafted, we begin the process of forming our opinion on them as PLAYERS, but we're not giving them a blank slate, we're carrying over that opinion of them as prospects that we had. Hopefully that makes sense, I'm just trying to put it together myself as well. For example though, a guy that scouts, or even you personally, didn't like, is going to have to go above and beyond the guy you did like, for you to view them in the same light. At least that's how it works now for fans I talk to, and myself. You're suggesting instead, after the draft, we make a blank slate and judge them strictly on what they're doing in the NFL? I think that'd be reasonable, it'd just be hard to erase any biases you have about the player (he dropped passes in college, or he doesn't have sprinter speed) and not think about that every time he drops a pass or gets caught from behind and instantly think it's a major problem. 

Knee jerk reactions I agree are miserable and make talking heads, and even forums like this at times, unbearable. it grabs attention though, don't think it'll be going away.

I would agree that maybe the media/fans should have a bit more respect for FOs, but at the same time, people tune in to hear analysis of a team's draft, and it would get boring fast if it was just praising every GM, which circles to my first point.

I just saw this response, basically as I said every draft there are reaches.  Mike Mayock made a significant reach himself and arguably considering the relative importance of the QB position, that reach was a bigger one.  The ******* Cardinals drafted a guy #10 overall just a season ago and traded him for pennies on the dollar for a QB with lots of question marks because he fits in an unproven coach's system.  Yet, you heard NOTHING like this.  The problem is this is NY and Gettleman has a grating personality.  He sounds like a clown and says stupid ****, so the media treats him like a clown who says stupid ****.  Problem is there's no correlation of sounding the part and talent evaluation. 

8 hours ago, Howler said:

Darnold is widely considered a generational talent by a few highly regarded retired QBs (Romo, Warner, Namath, etc.) and the scouting community. I think Rex and others are getting a little ahead of themselves here with the Jones hype. He looks like a quality QB, but better than Darnold?

This discussion is completely TBD but that game by Jones is arguably better than any Darnold has played in his career.   I'm not taking a shot at Darnold he might be great or even better than Jones.  But widely believed to be generational QBs don't go #3 overall after a guy with as many question marks as Mayfield.  He still may be generational, but that's not some widely held belief.  The guy had plenty of warts and I know many Giants fans believed that BEFORE they drafted Barkley.  At this point if not for predraft hype Darnold would be considered promising and that's it.

18 hours ago, BayRaider said:

If Jones did end up becoming a Top 5 QB then scouting would have to factor in being tutored by an A+ QB coach at a young age. Cutcliffe in particular. Jones sure did look like a carbon copy of Peyton Manning out there. 

He had great coaching, but let’s give the kid some credit. You can’t coach size, toughness, athleticism, intelligence and work ethic. He was recruited by Ivy League schools, so you know he has a head on his shoulders. His SPARQ was second to only Kyler Murray among quarterbacks in the class. His TD run was the 3rd fastest tracked speed by a quarterback this year. Cutcliffe wasn’t exactly making chicken salad out of chicken poop here. Jones has everything you want in a quarterback. He’s not overcoming the odds like Minshew 

Edited by Gmen