New Coaches

mwalker

That's my thing. Ben is actually part of the problem. He wasnt actually THAT good last year. He threw a lot of interceptions and many of them due to forcing the ball to AB.

Yeah he threw for a ton of yards, good for him, also part of the problem. People like to talk about what kind of offensive league this is now. Here is the issue, we arent that kind of offense team. We NEED to be able to run the ball to succeed. It's what has always made things work here in Pittsburgh and when we were running the ball more, we were doing better. All the offensive staff has done is suggest they dont trust Conner like they trusted Bell so they arent gonna use him as much.

I am starting, tbh, to have serious doubts our long term RB is on the roster. Fumbles happen but injuries happen to Conner a lot. It's a legit concern.

We have a good core of young players, but if we wanna join and catch up to the rest of the league the first thing we have to do is invest into a new LT and RT cuz they proved on Sunday that against a really good defensive front, they are not the pass blockers you are looking for.

You've also gotta add another TE that can stretch the field, get rid of Moncrief and add another young WR, add a new Guard to replace Foster, and ultimately you gotta have a succession plan in place for Pouncey too.

Defensively, you probably need a succession plan for Heyward, maybe Tuitt, and obviously Haden. We are pretty young everywhere else

So I'm listening to the radio this morning and there was a great point made.  If you are Mike Tomlin right now you got to ask yourself three questions right now:

#1. Which was the problem, the offense or the defense?

#2. Did the talent show out or did it struggle?

#3. Did the gameplan put your players in best position to succeed and did play calling pull through?

So go through that list. #1, the offense was the problem.  #2, the talent showed out.  That DJ TD, the deep pass to Washington, the TD to Juju showed its there.  #3, now we are at the issue.  You don't put your players in the best position to succeed.

I don't know who's out there right now, but I think that we need to be looking at bringing in someone as a consultant to Fichtner.  Someone needs to help him game plan.

• Like 1

the only coach I see getting the pink slip this yr is Butler

I think 2020 will be do or die kind of yr for Tomlin, Ben, Colbert etc... a new regime will be here soon. What coaches do you guys want to team to look at? I want someone who can put together a modern offense..

Edited by August4th

10 minutes ago, August4th said:

the only coach I see getting the pink slip this yr is Butler

I think 2020 will be do or die kind of yr for Tomlin, Ben, Colbert etc... a new regime will be here soon. What coaches do you guys want to team to look at? I want someone who can put together a modern offense..

Lincoln Riley. 

3 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Lincoln Riley. 

man, his offense would be fun to watch on sundays. If tomlin is let go soon, I hope they look at staffs from the Rams, Eagles, Chiefs, Saints, Niners etc. I want someone who has experience  with gameplanning good offenses and then target a experience guy to call the Defense.I'm  Ready to bring in some fresh air

2 hours ago, August4th said:

I would like Josh McDaniels, but he has baggage and the belichick tree is rotten lol

My problem with McDaniels would be that I think he wants the control Bill has, but what Bill does, and does really really well, is so unique to his understanding of talent, scheme, and the NFL. 

I would sign off on McDaniels if he went the McVay route and found his own wade Phillips. Say I take the offense you take the defense, but I’ll have some final say. 

2 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

My problem with McDaniels would be that I think he wants the control Bill has, but what Bill does, and does really really well, is so unique to his understanding of talent, scheme, and the NFL. 

I would sign off on McDaniels if he went the McVay route and found his own wade Phillips. Say I take the offense you take the defense, but I’ll have some final say. 

Sorry, forgot to finish my McDaniels thought. 

But I also want him paired with a new GM that gets the personnel choices. It can be McDaniels team, but I want that to be driven to just the offense more or less and I don’t want him in charge of personnel. That’s where I think he would do damage trying to be Bill. 

Here is the thing, just because you were good at coaching LBs doesnt make you a good DC. (Butler)

Just because you were good at coaching QBs doesnt make you a good OC (Fichtner).

Go hire proven people (Teryl Austin/DC) (Mike McCoy, OC)

Get rid of Olvansky or whatever Jerry's last name is and move Tom Bradley to his natural coaching position, LBs Coach.

Go hire Mean Joe Greene to work with Dunbar and this DL.

Hire Hines Ward as the WRs coach and have him teach these guys a thing or two about run blocking.

I'm just throwing out ideas. Idk if they're the best ideas. Maybe there are better options.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Here is the reality. Colbert, Tomlin are guaranteed to stay. Ben went on IR, they have a built in excuse. 

Okay, I dont like it but okay i get it. 

Fichtner doesnt only need to be replaced we need fresh blood. Go hire a college offensive guru who specializes in spread offense. Yes, I'm serious, we have 3 young, good WRs, if we go out and get another one, we could run the spread all day. Start using the running game, let Mason Rudolph learn and throw deep.

Several college teams have learned the art of running a spread offense and still having a dominating power running game. This is the new school/old school option that Pittsburgh must choose. Look at Oklahoma and Alabama. It's not even what they want to call spread. They refer to it as multiples. Tight ends and fullbacks are still used, but they can all block and catch and run. Draft another big power back with some bounce. Bettis had incredible power but it was his feet that amazed everyone. And please draft a TE that is a weapon. 

Fire Tomlin and his staff, retire Ben and move forward. The page has turned. The Rooneys just need to see it.

• Like 1

And I have said this before and I will say it again here.  I understand why they did it but in retrospect and yes hindsight is always 2020 but giving than rothlisberger an extension was a mistake. You weren't gonna get him any cheaper than you did but I really feel like we are not gonna win another Super Bowl with him as a quarterback sorry but I think that of the reality of it so I feel like we need to be in for a scene moving on but we take a massive cap hit by moving on from Ben